ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite Foreign Movie

LordEgg

All-American
Jun 4, 2003
On the Pilgrim Trail from Eastern Empire
Ive been tooling around iTunes and watching some foreign movies...fortunately have seen some good ones, wondered if y'all had any you really liked. The pace and tac of foreign movies seem to have a pretty stark contrast to the hollywood thing (at least currently). Lately I have enjoyed...

1) Delicatessan (1991)
MV5BMTY4NzQxNjI5OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzA1OTYxMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR3,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

2) Three Colors Trilogy:
Blue (1993)
;
MV5BMjExNzQ5NTA1OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDkxMjcyMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR5,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

White (1994);
MV5BODUzNDcwNzY4Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODk4Mzk5._V1_SY317_CR3,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Red (1994);
MV5BMTkyNDE0Njk0N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTQ4Mzk5._V1_SY317_CR2,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

3) Calvary (2014)
MV5BMTc3MjQ1MjE2M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTMzNjE4MTE@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg

4)Mesrine, parts 1 and 2
MV5BMTc3NzI5NzQ4MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTMwOTU2Mw@@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg
MV5BNTA3MjI3NjIyNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODA1NTY3Mw@@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg

5) El Infierno/El Narco
MV5BNTI2OTYwNTEzMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzU2Mjg2Mw@@._V1_SY317_CR5,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

6) The Return
Vozvrashcheniye_movie.jpg

7) Headhunters
Headhunter_poster.jpg

I forgot the name, but it was a movie about the Japanese side of Iwo Jima. Really good movie.

The first Dead Snow movie was enjoyable, second one took more of a comedic route.

I watched the whole trilogy on Netflix over the holidays and really enjoyed it. These may be the best film adaptations of a book I've ever seen. If I remember correctly, Stieg Larrson, and later his estate, were heavily involved throughout the production of the films.
24411_front.jpg

The Secrets in Their Eyes is a very good thriller from Argentina.

It doesn't settle into a genre like American thrillers do. It's a romance, a courtroom drama, a generational saga--an unusual movie that's really unlike anything else I've seen. The ending is perfectly done and will haunt you.

Pans labyrinth

High tension (french horror)

A serbian film (just kidding, but did watch it while puking)

Javier Bardem - Biutiful: He is a single father of two in Barcelona and he finds out he has cancer and tries to make sure his kids are cared for after he is gone. He is one of the best actors going right now. Nominated for Best Actor in this one.

foreign films in general are much better, atleast much better than what hollywood makes over the last 20 years or so (in general). Someone mentioned A Serbian Film in joking, but still stay away from antyhing from south eastern europe (Greek/Turkish films are mostly crap too with some exceptions).. Iranian films however are by and large excellent. FIrst two movies that came to mind as probably most palatable to an american audience was city of god and amores perros.

Recently: About Elly and Under the Skin

M
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
Aguirre, the Wrath of God

Agree with above poster that currently Iran is putting out a large amount of truly great films. Disagree that "foreign" films are necessarily better than domestic ones. One, we are talking about the entire world's production vs ours. Those numbers will be skewed, obviously. I think the foreign films that make it to America are typically better than your average American film, but those are the cream of the crop, not your average foreign film, so again we are talking about apples to oranges

"Goodbye Lenin" was one I really enjoyed a few years ago. It's a comedy/drama about an East German kid around the time the wall came down. His mom was super involved with the communist party, and goes into a coma before everything changed. When she wakes up, the Eastern Bloc has collapsed, and the doctor tells them that she can't see anything too shocking, so they go to ridiculous lengths to make her think everything is still the same as it was.

Any Kurasowa or Sergei Leonne film. Rashoman is top 50 film.

Japanese Horror during 2000s. suicide circle best.

Old Shaw Brothers films(just love this stuff)

Shogun Assassins (whole wolf cart series)

Samurai:Mushashi Mayamoyo is like Japense gone with wind trilogy.

Irreversible is horrifying

The Hunt (2012)

The Skin I Live In (2011)

OSS 117: Cairo, Nest Of Spies (2006)

Like Water For Chocolate (1992)

The Vanishing (1988) ---don't let the age fool you, it is a must-see

Paperhouse (1988)

Agree with above poster that currently Iran is putting out a large amount of truly great films. Disagree that "foreign" films are necessarily better than domestic ones. One, we are talking about the entire world's production vs ours. Those numbers will be skewed, obviously. I think the foreign films that make it to America are typically better than your average American film, but those are the cream of the crop, not your average foreign film, so again we are talking about apples to oranges

The cream of the crop are essentially the only ones that are made with remotely comparable resources and talent, so they are the only ones that are comparable. Those are the ones that actually get watched cross culturally (which is what I mean by foreign), not the thousands upon thousands Indian movies. The rest of the world as a whole is watching Hollywood primarily too.

A lot of good ones already mentioned (Breaker Morant, Das Boot, Aguirre, etc.)

What about Slumdog Millionaire? I thought it was clever as hell.

Also, Let the Right One In (I think was the name) a really creepy Swedish film about a young girl who is also a murderous vampire.

Ah, foreign horror movies...

"Let the Right One In" was definitely a different take on vampire flicks. The interaction atwixt the young girl and boy was very well done. I have recommended that movie to a whole lot of horror movie fans and it has been well received.

Anyone remember the French werewolf movie "Brotherhood of the Wolf" (Le pacte des loups) as that is perhaps the most beautifully filmed horror movie I've ever seen. For laughs in a horror movie it's hard to top "Dog Soldiers" if you like wry British humor although it is strictly a cheese-fest for when you're slumming it.

let the right one in was a great one. the scandanvian one, didn't see remake.

I actually thought this was the rare case that the American version was better than the original.

Different kinds of movies. Different tones. Both very good. The American version had a couple of missteps--one scene where the computer animation was pretty bad--but I thought it was the better movie and one of the two or three best vampire films I've seen.

Yeah, the Babadook was fantastic. Wish they wouldn't have shown the actual monster (just personal preference), but extremely well made

MV5BODg3MTYwODY3MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDk2MzYwNQ@@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg
MV5BMTMyNTA2MzA0NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjY0ODkxMw@@._V1_SY317_CR6,0,214,317_AL_.jpg
MV5BNjQxMzI5MDE3MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDE1NTQyMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR3,0,214,317_AL_.jpg
MV5BMTY1OTg0MjE3MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTUxMTkyMQ@@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg

13 Assassins if you want a decent Samurai flick, just seen it on Hulu.
Little Big Soldier, pretty good Jackie Chan flick also on Hulu
Cuckoo, Russian flick about a Finnish sniper, Russian soldier stuck in Lapland during WW2
Howl's Castle, good movie for kids and deep enough for adults.

Spoorloos is one of my favorites. The ending is terrifying unlike anything I've ever seen. Just bothered me..,

Ah, foreign horror movies...

Anyone remember the French werewolf movie "Brotherhood of the Wolf" (Le pacte des loups) as that is perhaps the most beautifully filmed horror movie I've ever seen. .

Loved it! Bought it! Forgot to add it to my earlier post... probably due to the fact that when I saw it at the theater (way back when) it was in the dubbed English version.

Some others (w/ English) to consider:

Kill List -UK
A Lonely Place To Die -UK
The Descent -UK
The Square -Aussie
The Namesake -India

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT