ADVERTISEMENT

Eye opening retirement savings stat

The idea that someone who makes $160k a year is “rich” is laughable.

That is debatable, but to be fair, I think the proposal was to add a SS tax on income > $500K, it currently ends at $160K. So proposal was to leave the $160K cap alone at 6.2%, but then apply 3% over $500K, so there would be no new SS tax on income between 160-500K.

Surely we can all agree that $500K per year is wealthy. But one salient question I would raise is just how many taxpayers make that kind of money, and how much of the SS gap (and medicare, which is also hurting badly) would that tax increase cover? Everyone says "tax the rich", until you do the math and find there really aren't all that many rich to tax to make a difference in budgetary matters.

For the social security debate: has it just been completely ignored that the average life span has gone DOWN the past 3 years?? Like, noticeably, significantly down.

Reactions: awf
That is debatable, but to be fair, I think the proposal was to add a SS tax on income > $500K, it currently ends at $160K. So proposal was to leave the $160K cap alone at 6.2%, but then apply 3% over $500K, so there would be no new SS tax on income between 160-500K.

Surely we can all agree that $500K per year is wealthy. But one salient question I would raise is just how many taxpayers make that kind of money, and how much of the SS gap (and medicare, which is also hurting badly) would that tax increase cover? Everyone says "tax the rich", until you do the math and find there really aren't all that many rich to tax to make a difference in budgetary matters.

Yes, that’s the solution to everything - taxes! Tax the rich, the middle, tax them all, that will solve everything. Take my money government, take it and make the world a better place!

Yes, that’s the solution to everything - taxes! Tax the rich, the middle, tax them all, that will solve everything. Take my money government, take it and make the world a better place!
I didn't say that, but what is your proposal to shore up SS and medicare?

I didn't say that, but what is your proposal to shore up SS and medicare?

I’ll tell you what it is, it’s give the US government more money by taking it from its citizens! How can the US afford to do anything with how little money it has, let’s just give it more money. Increase all taxes I say! I bet if you did a deep analysis of the US Government spending you’d find it’s extremely efficient and almost nothing is wasted, and we’re all so thankful for citizens like you with battered wife syndrome that advocate for taking money from other citizens. What a great American you are!

I’ll tell you what it is, it’s give the US government more money by taking it from its citizens! How can the US afford to do anything with how little money it has, let’s just give it more money. Increase all taxes I say! I bet if you did a deep analysis of the US Government spending you’d find it’s extremely efficient and almost nothing is wasted, and we’re all so thankful for citizens like you with battered wife syndrome that advocate for taking money from other citizens. What a great American you are!

Thank you Mr. Gaetz, or is that you MTG? Seriously, do you actually have a suggestion, or are you just trying to increase your social media presence? Some of us on this thread are trying to have an adult discussion, so if you have a solid proposal, would like to see it, especially since you have done a deep analysis of US govt spending.

Thank you Mr. Gaetz, or is that you MTG? Seriously, do you actually have a suggestion, or are you just trying to increase your social media presence? Some of us on this thread are trying to have an adult discussion, so if you have a solid proposal, would like to see it, especially since you have done a deep analysis of US govt spending.

The government spent 1.52 TRILLION on defense last year, and your “adult” solution is to give it more 😂 Here’s the hilarious irony of your suggestion. You want the government to take more money from people that make this number you pulled out of your ass to just give to other people (instead of putting the pressure on congress to actually put a minimal amount of effort into actually balancing the budget). In your example you’re proposing to tax the orthopedic surgeon that spent decades in school and is helping other citizens in order to pay for the hip he’s replacing ! How funny is that, you’re wanting to tax the health care provider more to do his job. You know what is a really easy solution to make everything better? Tax everyone that lives in Kentucky 2% more. Ya, just think about it, the revenue the government can generate taxing everyone that lives in Kentucky 2% more would help pay for so many great things that the government is just too poor to pay for now. And it’s only 1 state! The other 49 states don’t have to pay a cent. Cmon, what do you think?

Reactions: mailman85
Ron: So you don't have to go back through this thread, let me summarize:

In the first few posts, VHCat70 and I both said there are no "easy and painless fixes to SS" - and it is safe to say he and I don't agree on much.

Second, I repeated a proposal I have read where you cap the current top payment at $3500, i.e., no more COL increases for the top recipients until Congress acts, addresses approx 20% of the shortfall, but I never said tax increase

Another poster (not me, and you can reread the thread to confirm) suggested a 3% tax on earned income above $500K, to which I agreed is something to look at, but then in a subsequent post stated that it is always politically popular to say "Tax the rich", but then I stated you have to do the math and there are not enough "Rich" to tax to spend the money that government always seems to want to spend (which I bet even YOU agree with). So that gets us back to the question of what do do about SS/medicare funding?

So, back to you Ron, I will ask politely for the third time: Do you have a proposal to discuss to shore up SS or medicare, or not? It is a simple yes or no?

Reactions: Ron Mehico
For the social security debate: has it just been completely ignored that the average life span has gone DOWN the past 3 years?? Like, noticeably, significantly down.

Isn't that all due to COVID?

Either way, the poor and minorities are always going to drive down the age expectancy, through lack of health care, low IQ, and drug epidemics like Fentanyl. But on the other end of the spectrum, people are living longer. Cancer isn't the death sentence it used to be. More and more diseases and conditions which used to cut life short, are now "livable" through modern medicine.

It's not uncommon, going forward, for many middle and upper class to retire at 65 and then live another 30 years or more. And I think that's also one of many problems we face: we really can't afford as a society for someone to be retired and not contributing to society (but taking in various benefits) for 30+ years.

sure: place a cap on defense spending at 1.2 TRILLION a year. The other 300 Billion ANNUALLY can go to Medicare and SS. Voila! And you didnt just randomly screw over a part of the population that did nothing wrong. That will never happen though - so what really needs to happen is the government actually has to be held accountable for its budget and allocate it properly. There is more than enough money to get us all everything we need. Warren Buffet had a quote I read recently. He said we can fix the budget and have everything figured out “easy”.

His solution? “I could end the deficit in 5 minutes. You just pass a law that says that anytime there is a deficit of more than 3% of GDP all sitting members of congress are ineligible for reelection.” It’s not “easy” to figure it out, but it can be done. The MONEY IS THERE. Just taking more money from other citizens that aren’t you is the easy, cruel, and unfair way out imo.

Why are the rich exempt above $160k a year? Why do they deserve this benefit when obviously these people have the greatest ability to pay? They no longer have deductions?

The employee SS tax percentage is currently 6.2% for people making less than $160k. It wouldn't be fair to tax the wealthy at a higher SS tax rate than people making less money when federal income tax rates are already greater.
Why? Not hard. Their benefits are capped & they already receive a lower return than those that made less money; i.e., it's already skewed (heavily) in favor of the lower income folks. See:
Chart, bar chartDescription automatically generated

They get a somewhat higher benefit from already putting more in. They deserve it because they paid in & Congress decided what the benefits for those pay-ins should be. I don't get that you don't get this. Why do you always go for more taxes to supposedly fix things?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill - Shy Cat
At this point, I think accepting SS for what it is is the only possibility. Net, I think starting mandatory forced individual savings accounts is the only thing that has a shot to assure retirement incomes. Perhaps there could be matches on the first say $20-50K of income.
Very little response to this. I don't know why this isn't the easiest & most painless of all the suggestions made here. It's clear most people are going to spend every dime they get their hands on. Don't let them get their hands on it. Have employers match it to some degree. Allow withdrawals starting at age 65-70. Whatever is left at death goes to heirs, not government.

As an aside; I have to start drawing SS at 62, and once I do that, any amount I make over 21,000 dollars, reduces my ALREADY reduced benefit (for having to take it early), at a 50 percent rate.

That makes no sense to me, at all. If I'm already getting a reduced benefit (which I'm perfectly fine with), why would there be an earnings limit on top of that?

I'm not surprised though. There is very little that has ever made sense, with respect to Social Security.

FVCK FDR...

Reactions: mailman85
As an aside; I have to start drawing SS at 62, and once I do that, any amount I make over 21,000 dollars, reduces my ALREADY reduced benefit (for having to take it early), at a 50 percent rate.

That makes no sense to me, at all. If I'm already getting a reduced benefit (which I'm perfectly fine with), why would there be an earnings limit on top of that?

I'm not surprised though. There is very little that has ever made sense, with respect to Social Security.

FVCK FDR...
Forgive me ignorance but is it a use it or lose it or bank it for later? So basically what’s the benefit of someone at that age to make slightly more than 21k?

How bout we raises taxes 10% on every congressman and the president (democrats and republicans) until they figure out how to fund social security 100%. Most of them are already rich and they always say we should tax the rich more anyways so it shouldn’t hurt them. I bet they would come up with a social security solution quicker than they are now.

Don't disagree on the tax on super high incomes (you mentioned >$500K) but another idea along the lines above I have read is to not give the COLA to the top payment of SS. For example, if the most anyone can draw is $3500 per month, no COLA is added, but it is added at every other level until the cap is reached. If you draw $1000 per month, and COLA is 5%, you would get $1050, but the ones drawing $3500 per month would not get a raise. You could look at raising the top payout every five or ten years.

The thought being that the top recipients made the most money in their career and paid the most in, and should have the most assets to draw from, e.g., pension or most likely 401K, than the folks only drawing $1000 per month. Don't remember the exact number, but believe that change alone would solve about 20% of projected SS shortfall in the future.
So, I would be discriminated against because I worked hard and was successful? I put that money in there per my duty......I should draw what I earned! It shouldn't matter if I have a big 401K or what kind of retirement I have set aside......I done without to set that money aside. We are not drawing the amount we draw because we were lucky......kind of the a liberal take on your SS repairs........how about everyone lobby for the government to pay back what they have stolen from SS?

The average new car payment is now $729 and $528 for a used car. That is insane and another reason why most folks are broke.
a
Yeah I get that it had to be done. It makes sense that we needed to slow the economy. And maybe the recession is needed.

But I just don't know how many more "hurdles" those in their 30s and 40s can handle. I'm almost 37 and graduated during the great recession, then had COVID, then the recession that came with that, and now a few years of crazy inflation, and a potential 3rd recession? All before 40. A lot of people my age, their financial "health" got absolutely wrecked by one or more of those events.

Maybe it's doom and gloom, but I get the feeling many in their 30's and 40's are hanging on by a thread (or rather, paycheck to paycheck), another recession, with more job loss, is going to really knock a lot of people out for the count.
Some lessons are hard to learn..........If you haven't learned to live on less than you make..........you are probably one of the people that have doubled their credit card balance in the last couple of years......this is all going to crash and I don't think a lot of people are hardened enough to handle it...........

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
-ill keep a truck for 8-10 years... and pay cash for certified pre-owned 2-3yo vehicle same for wife's suv...saving 15-20k. I love cars... but unless you're wealthy (not just "rich" or high income) dropping significant coin on vehicles is not wise.
I bought my wife a Ford Explorer in Jan. It is the first new care we have bought.......we have always bought program cars and paid cash.......I walked for six months to and from work....then we bought a heap and kept it together until we had cash for a new car......you don't get ahead by paying interest to the man.......spend that interest money on yourself or save it....

Reactions: rudd1
You should buy some punctuation.

Big retirement? I bet it’s like 70K and a manufactured home.

The problem is that most Americans are illiterate when it comes to finances. It doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with income. I work at a company in which only 25% of the hourly workforce which averages $120K in annual income takes advantage of the 401K with company match up to 6%. Willing to give up free money and reduce taxable income just so they can have a $70K truck and other frivolous stuff.
My wife got laid off from a sewing factory......she went to college on NAFTA.......she qualified to put make up money into her 401K.......she save the limit for more than 20 yrs.......this inflation isn't her friend......she doesn't have to start taking money out for a couple of years.......we have set ourselves up too live on SS......

Reactions: vhcat70
Quit sending Trillions to 3rd world countries and start putting it into SS, Taking care of our vets, homeless, mental health & reducing the cost of Healthcare. Our politicians spit in our face over and over.

Im no left winger by any stretch, but if we could cut the defense budget and stop supporting endless war everywhere all the time, we might access some much needed dough. Im for a strong military, but my god, normalizing spending 17-19% of our total budget on the military seems a bit much...and that ignores some of what goes to military via research, etc.
With Dems in control they could slash the military budget drastically but they wouldn’t spend the savings on the right things. Would still go for more woke bullshit such as climate change

Part of the Covid plan. Why did they force Covid patients back into nursing homes. Get those folks in the grave and off the SS rolls.

I heard the Dems are looking at spending those savings on micropenis affliction. Y’all hear about this?

You would be surprised what I see on a daily basis. People are just not scared of debt and literally only look at what the monthly payment is going forward for anything they buy. It covers all professions, from hourly employees to physicians. The last couple years I have really noticed a big difference in savings. Alot of people used to have $40-50k in savings and that has now dwindled down to $10-20k, if that. If they are currently a home owner, they more than likely have some good equity built up if they bought before Covid but still cash on hand is not as strong as it used to be.

What do you need in the bank to feel comfortable?

Couldn't agree more. Won't get into specifics regarding income/savings...but I am a sole provider for family: wife and our 4 kiddos. Used to have no problem paying bills and saving cash. Economic conditions have hit hard. We have no CC debt to speak of but having a really hard time saving cash. We paid cash finishing basement during Covid and had I known the direction this was going to go, probably wouldn't have done it.

We are probably down $10K YoY in on hand cash savings.

Just read this today: 8% of Americans have saved $1M or more for retirement. THIRTY SEVEN PERCENT (37%!!) haven't saved a dime. The 37% is up from 30% only 3 years ago.

I'm sure this will quickly devolve into a political discussion, but that's not my intention. Over 1/3 of Americans have no retirement savings. IIRC, close to 2/3 are living paycheck to paycheck. And HH credit card debt is at an all-time high, >$1 trillion. And Social Security system is on a downward spiral (although I believe there are pretty easy and fairly painless fixes to SS). We have a looming retirement crisis and not many voices are being heard about fixing it (among many, many other problems in the US).

This isn't that surprising. Something like 60% of the population makes less than $50k per year.

Some brief perspective here …

Yes, there are financial problems that have accumulated over time, no debating that, but no doubt some of that due to a lack of basic financial discipline. However, it’s not like financial problems are a new revelation.

Some of us had parents who grew up in the shadow of the Great Depression and they changed the world. Just going back to the late 70’s and early 80’s, some of us had to deal with 10 to 18% interest rates. If we were able to survive in that lending climate, seems we should be able to survive the current situation.

While there are no doubt a lot of people who simply lack capacity to provide for themselves, as has always been the case, there are also too many people who lack self-control. Too many people can’t resist their wants and sometimes even put those ahead of their actual needs …

More people need to quit coveting after things they think they see their friends post about on social media, when the truth is some of them are in a fiscal mess. You can be both driven to do better and content at the same time. Contentment should be a good attribute - learn it, live it - the world around you will be the better for it.

We all need to work the best we can, to save the best we can, to joyfully constrain our spending on what our true needs are, to give if we can, to be humble, to be grateful, to be helpful …

… pardon the interruption, just a little simplified perspective to live well in this overly complicated world.

The problem is that most Americans are illiterate when it comes to finances. It doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with income. I work at a company in which only 25% of the hourly workforce which averages $120K in annual income takes advantage of the 401K with company match up to 6%. Willing to give up free money and reduce taxable income just so they can have a $70K truck and other frivolous stuff.
Totally agree. At my last job you only had to put in 2% for the company to match 7%. All of the younger people I hired, I talked about it to them and I was shocked at people not taking advantage of it. Then seeing them walk in with their Starbucks almost every morning and having lunch DoorDashed to work regularly.

Totally agree. At my last job you only had to put in 2% for the company to match 7%. All of the younger people I hired, I talked about it to them and I was shocked at people not taking advantage of it. Then seeing them walk in with their Starbucks almost every morning and having lunch DoorDashed to work regularly.
I guess I’m old fashioned but that 7 dollar DoorDash meal doesn’t it become 14 after fees/tips and people somehow justify it in their brain?

Quit sending Trillions to 3rd world countries and start putting it into SS, Taking care of our vets, homeless, mental health & reducing the cost of Healthcare. Our politicians spit in our face over and over.
Perfect example of lack of understanding of US budget. Your premise is totally false.

Reactions: Tskware
Perfect example of need for forced personal savings accounts.

The attitude I see are folks simply DGAF anymore. They are dead broke, live paycheck to paycheck but still must have to latest and best things so they just charge without much care and many plan on filing bankruptcy to get rid of the debt when it maxes out on them. Too many are obsessed with their social profile so they live an enormous lie when it comes to their finances. Inflation and high interest rates is destroying the middle class and completely burying the poor.

I had a buddy about 10 years ago that was trying to borrow 50K from me. He has a wife, 2 kids and at time time he had one on the way and lived paycheck to paycheck. I felt so sorry for him..........until I asked what he was going to do with the money. I figuered he'd say debt or something. He looked at me with a straight face and said they could no longer afford the dues at the country club they belonged to and was going to use it for that. I told him to get lost.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT