ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN firings

The radio shows on ESPN radio are just a shell of what they once were. Back in the day you had a lineup of Mike & Mike (I wasn't a fan but they were the right amount of wholesome cheese for a morning show), Colin Cowherd (before him Kornheiser ... not everyone loves Cowherd but the show was good and it was popular), followed by Dan Patrick Show which was awesome and once he was gone it was SVP and ultimately SVP & Russillo. Powerhouse lineups. I was a sales rep and in the car all day every day and could leave it on ESPN Radio from 9 am CST to 3 pm CST and it was full of good shows. I really enjoyed the LeBatard Show in recent years as well. It's almost unlistenable these days. I'd say it's about time to close up shop.

As far as ESPN TV, I watch College Gameday in the mornings (sometimes but usually SEC Nation) during football season but outside of that only tune in to ESPN for games. No idea who is working there anymore if they aren't on the College Gameday crew or a play by play/color commentary guy.

Last edited:
The Post reported Friday morning ESPN is letting go of around 20 on-air personalities in an effort to save tens of millions of dollars.

Van Gundy, 61, has been with ESPN for 16 years, calling the Finals with play-by-player Mike Breen and co-game analyst, Mark Jackson.

Van Gundy’s exact salary is not known, but he was making millions.
He ends his ABC/ESPN career just shy of a hundred NBA Finals games!

Last edited:
The network is starting to get rid of people. Jalen Rose and Jeff Van Gundy are the start. The morning radio show is gone too.
I don't care anything about Rose but, Van Gundy? Guess ESPN decided people that watch their broadcasts really don't want a former coach's perspective and insight on the game, huh?
I guess they will replace him with another washed up WNBA player or former weather girl.

Last edited:
The radio shows on ESPN radio are just a shell of what they once were. Back in the day you had a lineup of Mike & Mike (I wasn't a fan but they were the right amount of wholesome cheese for a morning show), Colin Cowherd (before him Kornheiser ... not everyone loves Cowherd but the show was good and it was popular), followed by Dan Patrick Show which was awesome and once he was gone it was SVP and ultimately SVP & Russillo. Powerhose lineups. I was a sales rep and could leave it on ESPN Radio from 9 am CST to 3 pm CST and it was full of good shows. I really enjoyed the LeBatard Show in recent years as well. It's almost unlistenable these days. I'd say it's about time to close up shop.

As far as ESPN TV, I watch College Gameday in the mornings (sometimes but usually SEC Nation) during football season but outside of that only tune in to ESPN for games. No idea who is working there anymore if they aren't on the College Gameday crew or a play by play/color commentary guy.
I used to be able to keep ESPN on literally all day in high school. Now I can’t stand it unless it’s for a game.

Last edited:
The channel just isn't what it used to be. Too many sports talk shows for my taking. I watch live games only but looking forward to the SRX Racing Series coming on there in a couple of weeks.

Reactions: KYExtemper
3eebjt.jpg

The network is starting to get rid of people. Jalen Rose and Jeff Van Gundy are the start. The morning radio show is gone too.
I liked JVG. Their in-game commentary crews are solid though not all individuals are. Their studio coverage is generally horrendous outside of JJ Redick though, and Kendrick Perkins is a complete embarrassment to the profession.

I liked JVG. Their in-game commentary crews are solid though not all individuals are. Their studio coverage is generally horrendous outside of JJ Redick though, and Kendrick Perkins is a complete embarrassment to the profession.
Yep, and they'll keep Perkins on and fire JVG who provides some of the most valuable in game insights of any color guy in the business, and he does it with personality as well. I'm sure he has a bigger salary and that has somewhat of an effect, but goodness gracious watch them keep all these half knowledge dimwits and get rid of the guy who is actually really good at his job. Welcome to 2023.

Go woke...go broke.

ESPN and a lot of other companies are waking up to that fact.
Grow up. I was taught growing up that you love others as you would wish to be loved. To let others be and to not judge. (We often lose sight of that).

The reason they're going down is they don't spend the time to learn their craft, to "create a voice". Too much time is spent on social media.

Last edited:
Please pardon my weird sense of humor. I saw JVG as John Vincent Gallopari.

happy homer simpson GIF

The Post reported Friday morning ESPN is letting go of around 20 on-air personalities in an effort to save tens of millions of dollars.

Van Gundy, 61, has been with ESPN for 16 years, calling the Finals with play-by-player Mike Breen and co-game analyst, Mark Jackson.

Van Gundy’s exact salary is not known, but he was making millions.
He ends his ABC/ESPN career just shy of a hundred NBA Finals games!

I like Van Gundy on the color commentary on NBA games. Surely they could have fired the slew of know nothing eye candy they put on the sidelines to annoyingly ask coaches questions during timeouts.

Guess they weren't woke enough to keep their jobs.
Van Gundy should "come out" as a drag queen and claim discrimination. He'd get his job back, and probably a raise.

JVG made an arguably racist comment on air, which went very under the radar. Wouldn’t be shocked if that was part of this.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT