ADVERTISEMENT

Elite PG visit next week??

We did the Wheeler experiment a couple years ago. Undersized guard that can distribute the rock. Yes, this kid shoots it better, but he's still a career 40% shooter from the field.
Well I’d say the key difference is he can shoot it from deep so they can’t just sag off him.

Also coaching can make a difference. We all know this being Cal couldn’t coach his way out of a shoe box and the one thing Pope no doubt has an advantage on is his X & O’s.

SO WHAT!! What has all of our recent elite talent got us?
Such a tired trope. Uconn had elite talent last year and the year before. You need both elite talent and solid portal pieces. Stop acting like 5 stars have no place on a team. And stop acting like because people want our PG to be able to shoot we are enamored with Cal’s 5 stars. It’s intellectually dishonest to say that shit when you’ve read thousands of our posts over the years. Loathing Cal’s fringe 5 star types.

I don’t give two shits about Cal. I care about getting a competitive roster here next season and we are off to a laughable start.

We might not be good next year. Or we might just be getting started and in up top 10. Bitching on a forum certainly isn’t helping. It’s a rebuild in a chaotic era. Accept it

We might not be good next year. Or we might just be getting started and in up top 10. Bitching on a forum certainly isn’t helping. It’s a rebuild in a chaotic era. Accept it
We haven't been good in years. One tourney win in 4 years? You would think this team is coming off of back-to-back championships. I think some of our fans have forgotten that we are going through this because we haven't been good for a long time. When you haven't been good for a long time, it is ridiculous to think we will become good/great overnight.

I don’t give two shits about Cal. I care about getting a competitive roster here next season and we are off to a laughable start.
You value how good a player is based off what other schools are recruiting them. Then you posted that Butler wasn't in the top 100 transfers based on a list that was made before he entered the portal.

You are the last opinion on this board that anybody gives a shit about. Can't wait to see your crazy ass in the game threads losing your mind again this year. Oscar still scared to drive that Porsche?

Reactions: Samurai Cat
He does not qualify as elite in any shape or form
Some of you guys are suddenly the greatest evaluators of talent ever and you have never seen these kids play. Last year the number 1 or 2 supposed player coming out high school came here according to Cal and he was a bust. Let’s give this staff some time and credit.

Wheeler was a 28% career three point shooter.

Hawkins is a 38% career three point shooter. He took 4 per game as well. He also is a 2 steal per game guy over the course of his career. Wheeler is a 1 steal per game guy.
Yeah and started his career playing 2 seasons at Howard. I'll reserve judgment but we've seen how this typically plays out at the lead guard position. Color me skeptical.

Reactions: bookerfan66
We haven't been good in years. One tourney win in 4 years? You would think this team is coming off of back-to-back championships. I think some of our fans have forgotten that we are going through this because we haven't been good for a long time. When you haven't been good for a long time, it is ridiculous to think we will become good/great overnight.
We have been good not great but good however it just hasn't translated to tournament success to all of our collective liking. But it can get worse a lot worse. I am hoping it doesn't get Matt Doherty/UNC bad but that is my expectation at this point. Hope I am wrong but I am not going to sit here and act like everything is going to plan. It is certainly not in my book. If it is going well in Pope book it is a Matt Doherty situation and we are all in trouble.

We have been good not great but good however it just hasn't translated to tournament success to all of our collective liking. But it can get worse a lot worse. I am hoping it doesn't get Matt Doherty/UNC bad but that is my expectation at this point. Hope I am wrong but I am not going to sit here and act like everything is going to plan. It is certainly not in my book. If it is going well in Pope book it is a Matt Doherty situation and we are all in trouble.
It’s been two weeks dude. And the surest way to make your Matt Doherty deal a self fulfilling prophecy is the propagate this narrative that there is no room for realism or growth

Your reading the wrong book then.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
You forgot Tyler Ulis and Travis Ford. See how it works?

What was real bad was Mashburn fouling out. What was real bad was going up against the 6'8" point guard, the likes of which college basketball has not seen since. What was real bad was going up against the Fab five in a second season. What was real bad was having no answer for Chris Webber down low, Dale Brown getting injured, a complete no show from Rodrick Rhodes, and a stupid foul by Mashburn in overtime. But if you want to oversimplify things down to a 5'9" point guard, I'm not sure anyone can stop you.

Travis Ford was fine against the 6'3" Sam Cassell earlier in that same tournament. But let's treat his height disadvantage as a universal weakness.

Additionally, why no mention of Ulis if shorter point guards are to be universally shunned because we have PTSD caused by Wheeler?
Cudos for your memory!

I had commented in another thread, but I had thought he was a pretty good defensive player. I’ll assume I was wrong.
He's quick enough he should be but he's small. 5'9 and quick but gambles and guys shoot over him a lot. The athleticism of the SEC will be an issue but he's quick so if he'll dig in an defend he should be respectable. He just so small and gambled a lot when I watched Minnesota play.

We have not been good in a long time. Beating up on a bunch of cream puffs before December isn't a trait of a good team. If were good, we would have more than one tourney win over the past 4 years.

Reactions: gobigbluebell
Dicky Beal
It isn't about the size of the dog in the fight; it should be about the size of the fight in the dog. Most of the OADs don't have much fight in them because it would cause them to have to work hard which they don't want to do. Why? They have determined that winning at the college level isn't necessary for them to advance to the next level.

On the KSR board thing like a hour ago, he said something about the other player not to be named that Kentucky liked, entered the portal yesterday and got offered by Duke. That’s poplar
Poplar would be a strange fit with rest of Duke's roster IMO. But they know more than I do about the style/vision they have. But he seems like a really square peg in a fit. But I don't get Mason Gillis who played 4 around 1 traditional throw it in/spot up and now he's going to a motion team who has 0 post up game.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
Poplar would be a strange fit with rest of Duke's roster IMO. But they know more than I do about the style/vision they have. But he seems like a really square peg in a fit. But I don't get Mason Gillis who played 4 around 1 traditional throw it in/spot up and now he's going to a motion team who has 0 post up game.
Yeah poplar or Gillis one of the 2 is coming off the bench there, I like poplar and would take him here

Reactions: BassProCat
We can't have it both ways.We bashed the hell out of Cal for getting poor shooting guards and were happy with Pope because he's an offensive coach.But suddenly it's okay.
Lamont Butler isn't a shooting guard anymore than Wayne Turner was.

And the roster isn't even close to being finalized, so I'm not sure how this is anywhere close to having it "both ways", when we don't even see what the current "way" will even look like yet.

Hahahaha new account that isn’t giving Pope a chance and already comparing him to Doherty. SMH

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT