ADVERTISEMENT

Eligibility

The eligibility rules are crazy! How is Ryan, the 25 year old at UNC, still playing? I thought Gohlke being 24 was bad…….
But everybody plays by the same rules. If the physical maturity and skill development that comes with age is beating UK, then we need to get us some of that "re-form" (a la' O Brother, Where Art Thou?).

But everybody plays by the same rules. If the physical maturity and skill development that comes with age is beating UK, then we need to get us some of that "re-form" (a la' O Brother, Where Art Thou?).

There is no doubt it has a huge impact on the game. I’ve always said give me a 23/24 year old over any 18-20 year old. Man versus boy. I’m just shocked that a dude is 25 still playing college ball. Haha

Reactions: G-PIP
There is no doubt it has a huge impact on the game. I’ve always said give me a 23/24 year old over any 18-20 year old. Man versus boy. I’m just shocked that a dude is 25 still playing college ball. Haha
I agree. It does feel like we're watching men against boys when UK goes against many teams these days - even more so than in the past. And we know unless something changes with the transfer portal and NIL it's going to continue to be that way (it's not just because of Covid eligibility rules).

Reactions: megablue
Born in 1998?????????

That’s legit embarrassing we’ve let it get to this point. Dude was in college when some of these kids were still in elementary school. Like wtf are we doing here?

But remember our coach states VEHEMENTLY that he prefers "Talent over Experience"!!!

SO our coach CHOOSES to bring in young guys over MEN from the transfer portal. Sure he'll bring in one or 2 but that is it. And even when one was National Player of the Year and another was an All-American, he STILL insists on constructing the core of his teams to be OAD KIDS!!!

ANd now you know WHY we get bounced out of the SEC AND NCAA Tournaments EARLY!!!

SAD

Reactions: FiveStarCat
Born in 1998?????????

That’s legit embarrassing we’ve let it get to this point. Dude was in college when some of these kids were still in elementary school. Like wtf are we doing here?
He had a medical redshirt and a Covid redshirt. It’s not even unprecedented pre-Covid. Some of you are so damn dramatic about it.

I agree. It does feel like we're watching men against boys when UK goes against many teams these days - even more so than in the past. And we know unless something changes with the transfer portal and NIL it's going to continue to be that way (it's not just because of Covid eligibility rules).
No question. It is plain to see. All you have to do is review the line-ups of teams still playing. Very few Freshmen are involved …

Reactions: G-PIP
Having all those 23-25 year olds wasn't enough for UNC and I am okay with that. 🤣

Reactions: MakinMusic
He had a medical redshirt and a Covid redshirt. It’s not even unprecedented pre-Covid. Some of you are so damn dramatic about it.
It was extremely rare prior to COViD. You had 5 yrs to play 4. You could get a 6th for medical reasons, but you had to petition to get it. It wasn’t a given that you got it either. Were there 6 yr guys prior to COViD? Yes. We’re there far less compared to now? Also yes.

Was that melodramatic enough for you?

The eligibility rules are crazy! How is Ryan, the 25 year old at UNC, still playing? I thought Gohlke being 24 was bad…….
Combination of things.
- many players are held back a year, sometimes 2, before college
- could have just recently had a birthday
- ncaa gave athletes a 5th year due to Covid season, which will go away in a year or two
- Ryan had to sit out a year (before the Portal) when transferred from Stanford to ND, so it took him 6 years to play 5 seasons

It was extremely rare prior to COViD. You had 5 yrs to play 4. You could get a 6th for medical reasons, but you had to petition to get it. It wasn’t a given that you got it either. Were there 6 yr guys prior to COViD? Yes. We’re there far less compared to now? Also yes.

Was that melodramatic enough for you?
No, you just repeated my point back to me. You ok?

I could be wrong, but I don't think it was a medical redshirt. He had transferred from Stanford to Notre Dame during the sit-out transferring era.

Still would have had to been held back 1 yr in school at some point to be 25 which is 3 yrs older than the " average" Sr.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT