ADVERTISEMENT

Eli in trouble.

This scandal will get ugly. Discovery hasn't even happened yet and they're already thinking of ousting the president. If that's the case, in guessing their internal talks already show how bad the proof is, which I suspected when I saw the very specific complaint language.

I don't see any way Mitch survives given his role. Especially if Eli is embattled.

Can someone explain this to me like I’m 5 years old.

What exactly has he done/not done? Honestly don’t know. Thanks.

The video didn’t really clear that up, just said he couldn’t lead?

I don’t know, man. I have never been a Capilouto fan. His first day in office corresponded almost exactly with my first day in graduate school so I got to see a lot of his early moves and never liked them, nor the later ones.

BUT to me this just sounds like a lot of entitled people pissed off that their power’s in jeopardy. If the senate had any actual qualms about the way Capilouto was running things, why didn’t they ever try to use their power to limit him in fifteen years? To me this doesn’t sound like them trying to use their power for the good of the university. It only sounds like them wanting to hold onto their power.

Mainly because as a whole our athletics department is in the best shape it’s been in the history of our school.

That’s the times. The money is driving that. Not Barnhart.

Look across the sec- it’s almost universal improvement in most sports.

If you’re hey weren’t in the best shape it would be the most puzzling times. Our major sports could be in a lot better shape with new leadership- hopefully pope is the one- I think he really could be, hope stoops decides to change a lot of in game coaching strategy(doubtful), and a young relatable AD who knew how to make the best use of money would go a long way to improving the major sports success.

If you’re hey weren’t in the best shape it would be the most puzzling times. Our major sports could be in a lot better shape with new leadership- hopefully pope is the one- I think he really could be, hope stoops decides to change a lot of in game coaching strategy(doubtful), and a young relatable AD who knew how to make the best use of money would go a long way to improving the major sports success.
The numbers don’t support your point if you’re talking about most sports. While basketball’s performance dipped under Cal, UK has been consistently outperforming other SEC schools when you look across all sports as a whole.

For example, if you look at the Director’s Cup standings over the past few years, UK has been the second best Athletics Department in the SEC.

Below is the average of ranking among SEC schools over the past few years in the Director’s Cup. Florida finished as the highest ranked SEC school each year in the standings, but UK has been the most consistent school behind Florida.
  • Florida - 1
  • Kentucky - 3.8
  • Georgia - 4.2
  • Arkansas - 4.6
  • TAMU - 5.2
  • LSU - 5.4
  • Alabama - 6.2
  • South Carolina - 8.4
  • Tennessee - 8.8
  • Auburn - 9.6
  • Ole Miss - 10.4
  • Mizzou - 11.2
  • Miss St - 13
  • Vandy- 13.2

The numbers don’t support your point if you’re talking about most sports. While basketball’s performance dipped under Cal, UK has been consistently outperforming other SEC schools when you look across all sports as a whole.

For example, if you look at the Director’s Cup standings over the past few years, UK has been the second best Athletics Department in the SEC.

Below is the average of ranking among SEC schools over the past few years in the Director’s Cup. Florida finished as the highest ranked SEC school each year in the standings, but UK has been the most consistent school behind Florida.
  • Florida - 1
  • Kentucky - 3.8
  • Georgia - 4.2
  • Arkansas - 4.6
  • TAMU - 5.2
  • LSU - 5.4
  • Alabama - 6.2
  • South Carolina - 8.4
  • Tennessee - 8.8
  • Auburn - 9.6
  • Ole Miss - 10.4
  • Mizzou - 11.2
  • Miss St - 13
  • Vandy- 13.2

Sooo the entire sec is in the top 20?

Exactly how does that disprove what I said?

Sooo the entire sec is in the top 20?

Exactly how does that disprove what I said?
No, those numbers represent the average order of finish among just the SEC schools, not their average overall ranking. Usually, the worst SEC school in a given year is ranked somewhere in 60’s or 70’s nationally.

And it disproves what you said because it shows our performance is not simply a function of money, because UK is consistently outperforming SEC peers who bring in more money.

If our performance were just about money, then we wouldn’t be finishing higher than Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU or TAMU.

I don’t disagree. But when you look at the facilities over there compared to what they were when he was hired along with the overall health of the entire athletics department , it’s improved greatly while Barnhart has been here . Barnhart was overseeing the athletics department while this happened. He’s going to get credit.

Barnhart has the luxury of SEC TV money that his predecessors didn’t have.

I hate to say it, but I only care how good we are in football and men’s basketball. In that respect we’ve been around the middle of the pack in the SEC the last 5 years.

If you haven't been paying attention to the nationwide campus protests, then you might be surprised to learn that university bodies are out of control with their built-in social rhetoric. They often conduct procedures like this as a way to intimidate others and to force the hands of people involved to see who is with them or against them.

This has nothing at all to do with athletics. The state legislature is working to eliminate DEI programs that impact UK, and there are many DEI advisors on the UK Senate. Capilouto has been openly supportive of UK's DEI initiatives, but he is caught in the middle between control freaks on multiple fronts.

Capilouto is trying to take away the university senate’s ability to make school policy. And the senate’s all “we don’t like that.”

At first blush, that sounds like an excellent idea to me. Not sure I see the problem. Actually makes me support Eli more; unless someone can provide compelling evidence otherwise. Pretty sure I'm never going to support the University "Senate" philosophically.

Reactions: Girthang
If you haven't been paying attention to the nationwide campus protests, then you might be surprised to learn that university bodies are out of control with their built-in social rhetoric. They often conduct procedures like this as a way to intimidate others and to force the hands of people involved to see who is with them or against them.

This has nothing at all to do with athletics. The state legislature is working to eliminate DEI programs that impact UK, and there are many DEI advisors on the UK Senate. Capilouto has been openly supportive of UK's DEI initiatives, but he is caught in the middle between control freaks on multiple fronts.
DEI should be eliminated and the people in charge of it should be put in the stocks

At first blush, that sounds like an excellent idea to me. Not sure I see the problem. Actually makes me support Eli more; unless someone can provide compelling evidence otherwise. Pretty sure I'm never going to support the University "Senate" philosophically.
To me the move is at worst neutral. Capilouto himself has pulled some DEI crap so I don’t really consider it a slam dunk. Otoh when Capilouto has done it, it’s basically been appeasement. I don’t think he has anything like the same actual agenda in that direction that 91 contemporary professors have, so as far as my own philosophical leanings go (which may or may not be compatible with yours) I consider it most likely at least a modest win. For the same reasons that ultimately made me take a U-turn from pursuing a teaching career myself.

Reactions: Girthang
Capilouto is trying to take away the university senate’s ability to make school policy. And the senate’s all “we don’t like that.”
The BOT voted in Friday to take away the academic senates power. Sounds like UK went from a true shared governance model to the BOT/President having complete control.

It’s an interesting decision, but you are correct, the Senate is pissed they no longer have a say.

Eli’s job is not in jeopardy over this….the BOT backs him 100%.

I hate to say it, but I only care how good we are in football and men’s basketball. In that respect we’ve been around the middle of the pack in the SEC the last 5 years.

People won't say it, but that's all that really matters. It's what matters because football revenue drives everything. Without that, none of the non revenue sports have anything.

And yes, that goes for UK too even though basketball here does better than most.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT