ADVERTISEMENT

Do you think this years offense could be as good as the 07 offense?

screwduke

Junior
Mar 23, 2015
I think all the pieces are there to have a good offense, but it depends a lot on o line play and Towles development. Was having this discussion with a friend, what's your opinion?

I agree about the OL but QB's can't lock onto just one receiver either.

I think all the pieces are there to have a good offense, but it depends a lot on o line play and Towles development. Was having this discussion with a friend, what's your opinion?
No. This year's offense will not be as good as our 2007 offense. But it will be a lot better than our 2014 offense, and that's going to be huge. You are right, a lot depends on our offensive line.

Reactions: Smashcat
IMO the OL is going to be much improved and definitely have more depth. The QB that comes out of the competition is going to be very good. It is probably going to be Towles but there is a small chance that Barker will get the starting QB position. The good thing is that UK seems to have two QBs that are SEC grade.

I think that the Offense is going to be much improved and think that improvement in the defense will dictate UKs record this season. UK can win very few games in the SEC with a run defense like they fielded last year.

I think this years team has a shot at being better than the 2007 team... Simply because it won't be one, or two men carrying the offensive load... I think we have a lot more weapons and if we use them, then they can't key on one, or two guys... I think our QB will be much better this year... Our offensive line should be good this year and if our tight end gets better, it will add a whole new dimension to our offensive game.....

On defense, I can almost see the gleam in Stoops eyes when he talks about the defensive backs.... Our line should be pretty good and our line backers should be good.. We have a better kicking game now, so I think we have a shot at being better....

We have better training coaches, and those guys that keep up with nutrition and such, they're causing these guys to look like SEC players.....

Our enthusiasm should be through the roof with the new facilities.... You place guys in a position to win and let them know that you're backing them in every way and treating them like the best, they'll begin playing like the best.....

You don't keep secretariat in a shack, you keep him in an air conditioned barn that looks like a mansion.... You ask the players that played for the 49'ers when they beat the Bengals in two straight super bowls, what were some of the reasons, and some of them said it was their facilities... They said that the organization treated them like royalty and in return they gave them their best on the field... I hope that's what happens to UK..... JMO

Last edited:
IMO the OL is going to be much improved and definitely have more depth.
Our center and guards will be improved, due to more quality depth and an extra year of SEC experience. I think it is way too early to predict that our tackles will be improved, and I still have some concerns there.

I think this years team has a shot at being better than the 2007 team...
Our 2015 team might end up with as good of a record as our 2007 team. But this will not be as good of a team as our 2007 team was. Talent wise, 2007 was a high water mark that will take at least a couple more years to duplicate. Our 2007 team beat the eventual national champion, but blew a couple of chances to win other games that would have highlighted its historical significance for our program. But when you look at all the players from that team who have played in the NFL, it was 1 hell of a team. Tamme, Johnson, Connor, Peters, Woodyard all still playing.

Our 2015 team might end up with as good of a record as our 2007 team. But this will not be as good of a team as our 2007 team was. Talent wise, 2007 was a high water mark that will take at least a couple more years to duplicate. Our 2007 team beat the eventual national champion, but blew a couple of chances to win other games that would have highlighted its historical significance for our program. But when you look at all the players from that team who have played in the NFL, it was 1 hell of a team. Tamme, Johnson, Connor, Peters, Woodyard all still playing.
We sent two pretty good guys to the NFL this year too..... In 2007 you had a good tight end, and I hope that we have one this year, he just won't be as seasoned.... You had a good blocking back in Connor, and a wide receiver... Plus, a defensive linemen and a line backer.... They were good players, and they've proved that, but I think that the over all talent belongs to this years team... We've had some of the highest ranked recruiting classes in UK history and they have some experience now... I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that we'll have play makers all over the field....

In 2007 we had a Senior QB who threw for 31 TDs the year before at a 3:1 TD:INT ratio. In 2007 he had a veteran o-line, very veteran WRs, a go to veteran TE, and a veteran RB who was extremely versatile as well.

Soooo, no, I don't think the offense this yr will be as good as 2007. It will be much better than last year just based on development of personnel. There is potential for the 2016 offense to match the 2007 output. We'll just have to watch and see.

Reactions: BlueTick2
As the O-Line goes. so does the entire offense season.
QB's got to have time.
RB"s got to have holes.

This X 1000

In the past two decades we've had several of the best QB's in the history of the SEC. Know what we haven't had? An offensive line that is one of the SEC's best.

Know why LSU and Alabama are always so good? Here's a hint, it's not because they have the best QB in the league. It's because they always have one of the top offensive lines.

Everyone has skill players. Any Division one QB looks good when you give him time to throw. Any Division one running back looks good when you give him a hole.

That's why Patrick Towles and Boom Williams are so special. They looked good DESPITE how horrible our offensive line was.

Could you imagine what Patrick Towles would look like if he had the time to throw that LSU's QB usually has?

Could you imagine what Boom would look like if he had the holes to run through that Alabama's and LSU's running backs have?

It blows my mind that those guys played as well as they did behind our line.

The good news is that Stoops is recruiting the line as hard as any position, and I think he'll be able to develop them.

I think it has a chance, Woodson made tremendous strides between his soph and jr year (06) and I expect Towles to also-----the most important ingredient on both teams IMO, and BOTH of them have/had much more experienced and better support for their junior years. At the risk of offending some, let me say that while stars aren't everything they are an indicator of how good your team will be, especially when you consider them for a whole class or team.

Now, the 07 team was basically bereft of SEC talent except for a few positions if you go by the star ratings, and TALENT was Brooks biggest problem his whole time here, although I think he did a great job with the talent he did have. An unbelievable amount of his big stars were only two stars starting out, and lower rated ones in a lot of cases.

A brief look at the positions star wise shows that we should have a lot more possibilities than that roster, the 07 team vs the 15 team:.

QB: in 15 a 5.8 and a 5.9 for backup, in 07 a 5.8 and a 5.6 that never played
RB: in 15 a 5.9 and a 5.8 and a 5.7, in 07 a 5.6 and a 5.4 (Dixon)
WR: in 15 a 5.8, five or six 5.7s, and several VERY GOOD 5.6s. in 07 5.5 Burton, 5,4 Johnson, 4.9 Lyons, backups ?
TE in 15 a 5.8 and a 5.6, in 07 a 5.5 and ?
The OL too many to mention in 15, but they probably average close to a 5.6 compared to just over a 5.2 for the starters in 07.

And yes, the 07 players proved on the field that they were players, several made the NFL on the field a lot, a 5.1 (G Williams) one of the best and a walkon made the NFL but that starting offense averaged well less than a three star, and this offense in 15 will average way over a three star, with the very important OL probably around a 5.6 average vs a bout a 5.2 average.

But the BIG difference will be in depth, the 07 teams late swoon was due in large part to lack of depth, this 15 team will be worlds better in that respect, a lot of competition at every position

Probably not this year, but a shot, and I do think they will be better in 16.

Onward and upward.

Last edited:
2007 offense was top heavy with a nucleus of future NFL players including Tamme, Burton & Johnson. Andre Woodson broke SEC records for both passes without an interception and completions without an interception. Rafeal Little was drafted but injuries resulted in an early exit from the NFL.

These guys were all very talented and knew each other well. They executed their offense extremely well, and opposing defenses could not find ways to consistently stop them.

The offense this year has more raw talent and more numbers, but we don't really know who the go-to guys are except for Williams. Towles has a chance to have a year comparable to Woodson, but he must get more consistent with the ball. The line should be better this year but not great. Add it up and I think this year's offense has a chance to be very productive but I don't see it being as good as the 2007. The good news is next year most of the top talent should be back again and could be poised to have a special season - sort of like the 2007 season was.

I do think our offense will be much improved do to the fact that the overall caliber of athlete behind our starters is much improved. Competition pushes the pride button on these young men that will force them into a level of play they"ve never experienced before. this is also taking place with the QB position, they can no longer settle for good enough. One or both WILL eventually be great!! I may be a bit of an optimist, but I think with the red shirt group coming in on the Defense this TEAM could be just as good as the 07 group.

You say "all the pieces are there to have a good offense".

Since the O-Line is the most important part of an offense, you are saying that we have all the pieces on the O-Line to have a good offense?

Interesting, because our O-Line was awful a lot last year, but now we have all the pieces to have a good offense one year later?

I don't follow your logic at all. How could you come to that conclusion?

Kentucky certainly has the skill talent to put up big numbers. I think the offensive line is much closer to "being there" than they have been since the Brooks years.

Towles has to be more consistent. Blame the OL all you want for his poor play (at times), but his accuracy left a lot to be desired last year (again, at times). Developing a legit deep threat will be big. UK needs SOMETHING from the TE position.

Overall, I think we'll see much better numbers than '14. Significantly better.

GBB!!!

Kentucky certainly has the skill talent to put up big numbers. I think the offensive line is much closer to "being there" than they have been since the Brooks years.

Towles has to be more consistent. Blame the OL all you want for his poor play (at times), but his accuracy left a lot to be desired last year (again, at times). Developing a legit deep threat will be big. UK needs SOMETHING from the TE position.

Overall, I think we'll see much better numbers than '14. Significantly better.

GBB!!!

Yes, I actually have serious concerns about Towles. I recently watched the replay of the UL game and Towles could not see WIDE OPEN receivers in front of him. Our TE was standing open in the end zone in front of Towles and he chose to throw it deep and out of bounds. I don't think Towles has very good vision as a QB. I would not be surprised if Barker gets serious PT this year.

I agree with those that say this year will be better than last year. I think next year will be the year where we can look for them to be like the 2007 team. If we are as good as the '07 team this upcoming season, then look out for the '16 season. We will have an offense loaded with upperclassmen that will be coming off one of the best offensive seasons in UK history.

Yes, I actually have serious concerns about Towles. I recently watched the replay of the UL game and Towles could not see WIDE OPEN receivers in front of him. Our TE was standing open in the end zone in front of Towles and he chose to throw it deep and out of bounds. I don't think Towles has very good vision as a QB. I would not be surprised if Barker gets serious PT this year.

That was a bad game for him. Consistency was an issue. But, that was not indicative of his whole season. People snipe at McWilson in that game for dropping the one in his breadbasket from Bolin, but NB had to switch his game plan, because Towles could not hit his open quick hitters on the sideline. Other than a few nice throws, Boom carried the load. That cannot happen again.

I think we win 6 games next year. If some of the "if's" work out in our favor I could see 8 wins.

IF the OL improves.

If Towles accuracy improves.

If Towles learns to see the field rather than locking on one receiver.

If we are not hit by injuries at critical positions.

If the LB's continue to improve.

If we can make up for the loss of Bud and Z.

If our ST's dramatically improves.

If our secondary makes the most of their opportunities and stop dropping gifts thrown into their hands.

Yeah I can see a lot of good things happening next year IF some good things happen.

:pray:

Reactions: BlueTick2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT