ADVERTISEMENT

Do you all think NIL is having an effect on Stoops?

BLUEDOUG46

Blue Chip Prospect
Jan 4, 2012
I have never thought Stoops was a great coach. I have always thought that he was solid, very solid. Believed in a strong Defense and a power running attack and ball control. I also always thought he would be a players coach. A coach a young kid would enjoy playing for. However, these past two teams have basically imploded on him . I felt he lost last years team, and I feel he has lost this years team. All since NIL became a reality. I dont know if there is a correlation or not? thoughts?

Since his "pony up" comments they are 1-4. It seems when the subject is brought up his comments are usually negative in some way, so who knows.

Reactions: Girthang
I think you are going to see a lot of college coaches go the way Jay Wright did. Anyone with NFL opportunities will take them or just retire. Combine NIL with the transfer portal and a football coach has to recruit about 200 players per year. Every player on his own team, high school and everybody else already on other teams rosters that they need to poach. Who the hell wants to put up with that?

Instead of eating his face off, can’t Stoops just drink a cup of coffee and brainstorm how he’s gonna bring UK football into the 21st century? Who the hell doesn’t call timeout before the end of the first half there? 3rd & 12? 4th down? C’mon Stoopsy.

IMHO, the reason Stoops seems different these past 2 seasons and especially this year is because with NIL he MUST make the right call on EVERY player he brings into the program AND EVERY player he decides to favor over another that transfers.

With Leary, Stoops and Coen decided to take him over Mertz. I would bet if they could choose now, they would have went with Mertz instead. Mertz has played WAY BETTER than Leary AND has another year left to play which would have given Boley a year to learn with NO pressure to play him.

Brown and Phillips were given the nod over Chris Lewis and Devonshire. Both have played BELOW the level of the 2 Stoops let transfer. Add in bringing in Childress to start Safety over Kobi Albert who left for Miss St.

Those decisions have NOT turned out the way Coach Stoops had hoped they would. This has caused him to be defensive, on edge and even making him DOUBT himself. It's the first time since his arrival that he can feel the pressure of EVERYONE(fans, players and hopefully Mitch).

This off-season will be HUGE for Him AND the program. A lot of soul searching needs to be done. The staff needs to REALLY do a BETTER job at evaluating the players on the roster AND the players they plan on bringing in, on top of WHO on the staff needs to be replaced.

I think you are going to see a lot of college coaches go the way Jay Wright did. Anyone with NFL opportunities will take them or just retire. Combine NIL with the transfer portal and a football coach has to recruit about 200 players per year. Every player on his own team, high school and everybody else already on other teams rosters that they need to poach. Who the hell wants to put up with that?
Nfl doesn’t pay near what colleges do. As long as these guys keep getting long term contracts for absurd per years they won’t bail anywhere til they’re told to

Nfl doesn’t pay near what colleges do. As long as these guys keep getting long term contracts for absurd per years they won’t bail anywhere til they’re told to
There are 7 NFL head coaches making more than Nick Saban.

Well they wouldn’t pay Stoops more than college does lol

Reactions: Glenn's take
Instead of eating his face off, can’t Stoops just drink a cup of coffee and brainstorm how he’s gonna bring UK football into the 21st century? Who the hell doesn’t call timeout before the end of the first half there? 3rd & 12? 4th down? C’mon Stoopsy.
Stoops and Cal be tuckin' into the buffet together.

I have never thought Stoops was a great coach. I have always thought that he was solid, very solid. Believed in a strong Defense and a power running attack and ball control. I also always thought he would be a players coach. A coach a young kid would enjoy playing for. However, these past two teams have basically imploded on him . I felt he lost last years team, and I feel he has lost this years team. All since NIL became a reality. I dont know if there is a correlation or not? thoughts?
felt exactly the same way and you couldn't have honestly said it any better. And saying what he did after that loss telling everyone to pony up...that was beyond disastrous. there's no way you can honestly get me to believe that hasn't affected the players in the locker room.

Honestly I did not know it was that high but I also was generally aware that some would be. I guess I was short handing that college guys aren’t getting more to move up anymore. Who is the last college guys to go have success?

Reactions: Glenn's take
Honestly I did not know it was that high but I also was generally aware that some would be. I guess I was short handing that college guys aren’t getting more to move up anymore. Who is the last college guys to go have success?
Pete Carroll? And that was after a recruiting scandal.

Reactions: Girthang
felt exactly the same way and you couldn't have honestly said it any better. And saying what he did after that loss telling everyone to pony up...that was beyond disastrous. there's no way you can honestly get me to believe that hasn't affected the players in the locker room.
College athletes aren’t as fragile as some believe. Hearing a coach or someone say it’d be nice if NIL accounts were fatter and we could buy more and better players , just isn’t going to weigh on a 21 yr old under the lights on Saturday during a game . Plus , it’s reality and everyone knows it

NIL will be an issue long term.
In the short term there seems to be a larger correlation to our seasons and Stoops big pay raise.
Happened with Calipari as well and talent is never an issue there.
I think Barnhart has created an environment where coach's feel too comfortable and safe in their jobs.
If you could make a ridiculous salary, with little expectations, and no threat of losing your job, would your work product improve or suffer?

NIL will be an issue long term.
In the short term there seems to be a larger correlation to our seasons and Stoops big pay raise.
Happened with Calipari as well and talent is never an issue there.
I think Barnhart has created an environment where coach's feel too comfortable and safe in their jobs.
If you could make a ridiculous salary, with little expectations, and no threat of losing your job, would your work product improve or suffer?
Salaries with our coaches will be upper third to middle of the pack soon. The TV deals and everything else that comes with mega conferences will soon have coaches salaries big time on the rise. As jobs open in the power five, they’ll be filled with guys making 7-9million, easy. It will continue with Texas A&M, watch Mississippi State, and many others in this hiring cycle. We were a bit ahead with stoops pay , but they’ll all catch up

No, it isn't NIL. This subject keeps coming up. But when one reads through the threads, it is obvious that most readers on this website still don't have a grasp for what NIL actually is and how it does and doesn't work. If it was NIL, then how come Stoops is recruiting so well? He is, you know. Except for our OL.

It's mainly about development at a couple of offensive positions. The strength of Stoops' football program at its apex was our OL and our bulldozer running game. John Schlarman made All Americans out of Bunchy Stallings and Logan Stenberg. When Schlarman passed, we lost our OL talent evaluation and recruiting prowess. Next thing you know, we couldn't win the physical battle on our offensive line of scrimmage anymore and our QBs and RBs were suddenly getting beaten up. Fortunately, Coach White continues to do a top half of the SEC job with our defense. Without Coach White, we would really be in a helluva lot of trouble now. But as things stand, our OL has to get fixed before anyone, including even Liam Coen, can succeed in rebuilding a successful offense here. Under Coen, our offensive recruiting is already getting much better. But not the OL, per se. The future of our OL is in jeopardy, and there is a reason. In order to fix our OL recruiting, we need a charismatic, experienced OL coach capable of thriving and succeeding in the SEC. Right now, we don't have one. And that is the first and most important reason Stoops' football program is losing steam on the field. Because of this, we cannot sustain drives.

The second reason is related. There is a disconnect between what our offensive personnel can do successfully and what is being attempted. Liam Coen has an NFL background and thinks like an attacking NFL OC. Right now, we don't have the OL, WRs, or QB to do that successfully in the SEC. We just don't. People can grouse about why this player or that player isn't playing well. But football is a team sport, and our offense doesn't execute well enough to win. Missed assignments, penalties, drops, pressure on our QB. This has been a consistent problem throughout the last two seasons, and most of these significant problems begin on our OL. Our offensive coaching staff needs upgrades at the OL and reveiver coaching positions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT