ADVERTISEMENT

Do we even make the tournament?

BluegrassBlake

Junior
Gold Member
Jun 3, 2015
I'd say it's 50/50 if we don't win at least one game in Hoover. With the way we've been playing lately I have very little confidence that will happen.

I don't get the bubble talk. We have a top 25 RPI. Vandy is 3 spots lower than we are in RPI. Do they entirely get in because of two wins over us? What about South Carolina? They won 17 conference games but have an RPI of 33. Should they be in over us simply because they won more conference games despite not winning as many top 50 games as we did?

I don't get the bubble talk. We have a top 25 RPI. Vandy is 3 spots lower than we are in RPI. Do they entirely get in because of two wins over us? What about South Carolina? They won 17 conference games but have an RPI of 33. Should they be in over us simply because they won more conference games despite not winning as many top 50 games as we did?

UK is fortunate that even in a down year, the SEC will still get 10-11 teams in, But make no mistake, this weekend debacle has put them below Vandy, SC and Mississippi State in the pecking order.

The beef against Mingione at MSU was that he made poor in-game decisions and he was only the third base coach. He sounds good on the rubber chicken circuit and should be a decent recruiter but much like Mark Stoops, he struggles where it counts.

UK is fortunate that even in a down year, the SEC will still get 10-11 teams in, But make no mistake, this weekend debacle has put them below Vandy, SC and Mississippi State in the pecking order.

The beef against Mingione at MSU was that he made poor in-game decisions and he was only the third base coach. He sounds good on the rubber chicken circuit and should be a decent recruiter but much like Mark Stoops, he struggles where it counts.

Why do you define this as a down year? The SEC has 5 teams in the top 15 RPI.

Why do you define this as a down year? The SEC has 5 teams in the top 15 RPI.

Because in all my years of watching SEC baseball it IS a down year. Florida is a national contender and Ole Miss and Arkansas both have an outside shot at the CWS, but everybody else is mediocre at best including LSU, MSU and Vandy. When those three programs aren’t good, neither is the SEC.

Because in all my years of watching SEC baseball it IS a down year. Florida is a national contender and Ole Miss and Arkansas both have an outside shot at the CWS, but everybody else is mediocre at best including LSU, MSU and Vandy. When those three programs aren’t good, neither is the SEC.

The top three mentioned can probably beat anyone in the country. Georgia is also up there.

The SEC is extremely even this year, but it certainly isn't down compared to other teams/conferences. The ACC has no real dominant teams and no one that looks overly impressive.

The top three mentioned can probably beat anyone in the country. Georgia is also up there.

The SEC is extremely even this year, but it certainly isn't down compared to other teams/conferences. The ACC has no real dominant teams and no one that looks overly impressive.

Who said anything about it being down compared to other conferences? Nice job, straw man.

I am comparing the league to previous seasons. And those friends of mine around the league who have been following it for decades agree.

So then college baseball is down and not just the SEC, but you didn't say that. Instead, chose to say the SEC was down, when it is not down compared to other conferences.

You really do love stroking your own ego, don't you?

So then college baseball is down and not just the SEC, but you didn't say that. Instead, chose to say the SEC was down, when it is not down compared to other conferences.

You really do love stroking your own ego, don't you?

Look, if you want to try and read between the lines knock yourself out. You would be wrong, but a quick check of your posting history suggests that you are used to that. Especially when it comes to college baseball.

And just because it is clear that I know a lot more about it than you, that doesn’t mean much to me. That would be like winning a shortest midget contest.

Now go find another post to switch around to fit whatever that agenda of yours is.

The SEC is easily the # 1 RPI conference in the country. The SEC got all 13 softball teams in the NCAA tourney, and they are doing really well. Makes sense that the league can get 10, maybe 11 teams in the Baseball NCAA tourney !

Reactions: AgesBlue
Look. I’m right. Your’e wrong. It really is that simple. I can’t help it if you can’t keep up.

I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt because it is clear you are new to the sport but until you are up to speed, you really should listen more and post less.

The fact that you have to resort to changing the subject, name calling and cursing only solidifies the fact that you are in way over your head. Welcome to ignore.

Hahaha I'm new to the sport. You're adorable.

3 wins over us...SC finished 17-13 in conference...I hate it cb3, but if we lose elimination game to Aub, which I'm assuming will pitch maybe the best in the country against us, we may be on a very slippery slope.

3 wins over us...SC finished 17-13 in conference...I hate it cb3, but if we lose elimination game to Aub, which I'm assuming will pitch maybe the best in the country against us, we may be on a very slippery slope.

They aren't going to pitch Mize. He threw yesterday. They are going with the midweek pitcher.

I know Vandy beat us three times, but they only finished two games better in the league. That's why I said two.

They aren't going to pitch Mize. He threw yesterday. They are going with the midweek pitcher.

I know Vandy beat us three times, but they only finished two games better in the league. That's why I said two.
Ok...I didn't know he pitched yesterday. You think we go with Lewis?

Ok...I didn't know he pitched yesterday. You think we go with Lewis?

Nope. Lewis, according to Headrick, won't be available unless we go deep in the SEC tournament.

I think Hjelle. Only one really healthy and consistent enough.

So if we were to get by Auburn, it would probably be J Ramsey going against OM. He did pretty well last night after the shakey 1st inning.

So if we were to get by Auburn, it would probably be J Ramsey going against OM. He did pretty well last night after the shakey 1st inning.

Presumably.

Hopefully we at least get our 3 bullpen guys back. That should really help us to grow some confidence and have others to turn to.

I check the box score of the Auburn series. We won the first game when we rallied in the bottom of the ninth with 3 runs and beat them 5-4. Mize pitch the first 7 innings. The teams played a Sunday double header and split the 2 7 inning games. Auburn took game 2 by rallying in their last at bats vs Machemer for 4 runs. Then we threaten in the bottom of the 7th for 2 runs but came up short 4-3. We took the third game behind Justin Lewis and won the game, 13-3.

Horrible take. This is the opposite of a down year in the SEC. The SEC will get four national top 8 seeds (UF, Ark, Miss, and UGA), and all four are national title contenders. The middle is strong and has been beating one another up all year - and yes - it's strong, not mediocre. Even the bottom is a lot better than it used to be as teams like Bama and UT were able to beat the top teams all year (UT took series from UK and A&M, and should have won the series against UF). SEC baseball is as strong as it's ever been.

This team wants to win...they dont go out wanting to lose. These are competitive guys. But these are 19-23 yr old kids. They arent perfect, the staff isnt perfect. There have been a lot of injuries to deal with and alot of new players finding their roles. One day you can go 4-4 and the next not hit crap.

Its BASEBALL!! Like someone said, "if it were easy, everyone would be doing it "

This team wants to win...they dont go out wanting to lose. These are competitive guys. But these are 19-23 yr old kids. They arent perfect, the staff isnt perfect. There have been a lot of injuries to deal with and alot of new players finding their roles. One day you can go 4-4 and the next not hit crap.

Its BASEBALL!! Like someone said, "if it were easy, everyone would be doing it "

I get that i really..i coached it for 20 years..but like yesterday in top 7...you vant bunt Cottham there..no how no way
.thats coaching 101

Ohh you're quoting A League of Their Own! Well played! Very under rated quote from a great movie!

These injuries have to be psychologically draining. We're already struggling pitching and then our best guys get hurt and make things worse. Then the guys at the plate have to feel like they have to make up for the guys pitching and end up trying to do too much. It's got to be tough.

Ohh you're quoting A League of Their Own! Well played! Very under rated quote from a great movie!

These injuries have to be psychologically draining. We're already struggling pitching and then our best guys get hurt and make things worse. Then the guys at the plate have to feel like they have to make up for the guys pitching and end up trying to do too much. It's got to be tough.

Ha, Ive actually never seen that movie, but ok.

It's got to be stressful, just a mind *uck every day, waiting on what else will happen. When will the other shoe drop and WHO will it be?

Then you have the extra pressure of the draft in a few weeks, with some of these guys futures on the line. It's got to mentally and physically draining.

People tend to forget, these are real people, with real injuries, real decisions, real lives are playing out.

Ha, Ive actually never seen that movie, but ok.

It's got to be stressful, just a mind *uck every day, waiting on what else will happen. When will the other shoe drop and WHO will it be?

Then you have the extra pressure of the draft in a few weeks, with some of these guys futures on the line. It's got to mentally and physically draining.

People tend to forget, these are real people, with real injuries, real decisions, real lives are playing out.

I think a lot of the issues that some fans have with the team was expectations out of line with reality. It didn't help that others ranked us very high to start the season. We lost a lot last year and replaced a lot of those key players with Juco players. Then many of our vaunted recruits made it but had to redshirt. Add to that the injuries we did have and you get a good team, not a great team. This team can contend for a regional but it would take a miracle to get farther. I think many of us, myself included, drank the koolaid because we wanted to. It then has to be someone's fault because we clearly are not living up to preseason expectations.

I am concerned with the steady decline in batting average and the lack of emergence of anyone on the pitching staff. The hitting decline could be a confidence thing with the team. The lack of ability to hold a lead or even get any adequate support out of the pen leads to pressing on offense. That doesn't often work well. The pitching staff woes could be somewhat explained by the 4 redshirts.

I think a lot of the issues that some fans have with the team was expectations out of line with reality. It didn't help that others ranked us very high to start the season. We lost a lot last year and replaced a lot of those key players with Juco players. Then many of our vaunted recruits made it but had to redshirt. Add to that the injuries we did have and you get a good team, not a great team. This team can contend for a regional but it would take a miracle to get farther. I think many of us, myself included, drank the koolaid because we wanted to. It then has to be someone's fault because we clearly are not living up to preseason expectations.

I am concerned with the steady decline in batting average and the lack of emergence of anyone on the pitching staff. The hitting decline could be a confidence thing with the team. The lack of ability to hold a lead or even get any adequate support out of the pen leads to pressing on offense. That doesn't often work well. The pitching staff woes could be somewhat explained by the 4 redshirts.

Nobody else has the injuries we have had o pitching staff...that is not bad luck..there is a problem in the method obviously along with some of these guys dont wanna risk draft status...just an opinion

Well, I think we had big time reason for optimism from last year. Yes, we lost some key guys, but the pitching staff is where the optimism was really blooming. We returned to starters, including SEC pitcher of the year and lost our worst weekend starter and replaced him with Thompson, who had the lowest ERA on the team. We lost Salow but replaced him with Machamer. All we needed to do then was basically find some guys to fill in. Unfortunately, that's been difficult.

We did lose a ton of offense, but the core was there and the guys made us drink the koolaid with the early wins in Houston and against Tech.

I think this team has the talent to make a run and that they can compete with anyone. They just need to get back on track and get healthy. I really wish we had won 2 this past weekend so at least we could lose the first game and get rest.

Reactions: STUCKNBIG10

I think most of the pitching decisions have been made by Belanger, but their options have been pretty limited during the late part of the season due to the injuries of the pitching staff. I am happy with Mingione, if you compare the past two seasons to the Henderson's years I don't think there is any comparison.

Reactions: Black Diamond Cat
I get that i really..i coached it for 20 years..but like yesterday in top 7...you vant bunt Cottham there..no how no way
.thats coaching 101
To say 'No how no way' is wrong. It didn't work this time. Last week against Miss St it did work. It sparked a 4 run game and series winning rally. After 20 years, I'm sure you know coaching baseball is not black and white.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
Nobody else has the injuries we have had o pitching staff...that is not bad luck..there is a problem in the method obviously along with some of these guys dont wanna risk draft status...just an opinion
Don't know if i agree , but I think ...1. Thompson will be an elite starter in mlb someday. 2. Hjelle and Lewis if they make it to the bigs will be short lived. The rest i doubt every get a sniff(Im talking big league). I do see a lot of potential in Ramsey.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT