ADVERTISEMENT

Dillingham says John Welch was responsible for his great shooting

Has Dillingham made a positive statement of any kind about cal since the season ended? Seems to have been mostly silent but what statements I have seen from him do not even involve cal like this one.
Here’s another interesting note:

Dillingham said: His and team defense suffered because "they didn't know the game plan" so everyone was "thinking different stuff" and "playing different ways." Good lord. Bye bye Cal. #BBN

Last edited:
Cal was dragging this program deeper and deeper into the depths of despair.
I am so damn excited for this change. Not just getting rid of Cal, but bringing in a home run hire like Pope. Big time assistants, along with insane insane insane passion and joy to be back home to Kentucky.
Pope knows the expectations and he will
Thrive.
I find it funny Cal came in to save us from Billy G. And now 15 years later we need Pope to save us from Cal.
Kind of crazy as no one would have thought cal would leave like this.

Here’s another interesting quote:
Dillingham said: His and team defense suffered because "they didn't know the game plan" so everyone was "thinking different stuff" and "playing different ways." Good lord. Bye bye Cal. #BBN
Not surprising!!! I honestly think cal has no clue how to game plan. He might honestly be the most clueless coach to ever walk the sidelines of a D1 game. The deer in headlights look during games is his calling card.

Is this quote news at all to anyone who had been paying even the barest of attention for the last 10 years+??? Most everyone knew that was the big issue - lack of...er...no coaching whatsoever.

That one caught my eye...thought that was throwing more shade at Cal than his crediting welch for his improved shot.

Here’s another interesting note:

Good God, just shows how detached Calipari was as a coach of ANY sort. Didn't bother game-planning, just put them out and said "you're in the spotlight, this is your moment to make those NBA scouts proud". Total clown. Dillingham knew what was going on, he bears some responsibility as do the other guys if they knowingly out there "doing their own thing". I just look forward to the guys playing with titles in mind.

Good God, just shows how detached Calipari was as a coach of ANY sort. Didn't bother game-planning, just put them out and said "you're in the spotlight, this is your moment to make those NBA scouts proud". Total clown. Dillingham knew what was going on, he bears some responsibility as do the other guys if they knowingly out there "doing their own thing". I just look forward to the guys playing with titles in mind.

I'll just settle for guys playing with the groundbreaking idea of a team concept for defense in mind.

Reactions: westerncat
Not surprising!!! I honestly think cal has no clue how to game plan. He might honestly be the most clueless coach to ever walk the sidelines of a D1 game. The deer in headlights look during games is his calling card.
John Calipari Reaction GIF by SB Nation

When the expectation was Cal would be back for another season, we fans were at least marginally placated by the understanding there would be a couple staff changes. Of course we all assumed it would be Bruiser and Chin Coleman. Can you imagine the fan reaction if it was actually Welch and Antigua? Lexington might have burned down.
Replacing Welch with Brad might have been the single most depressing indicator of where Kentucky Basketball was headed.

Well...Rob went 2-9 against Oakland, many on open shots. He couldn't handle the moment.

Reed went 1-5, many on open shots. He also threw the ball into the stands twice.

Neither could handle the moment. They both crapped down their leg.
It's not 100% their fault.

Cal clearly did not make them ready for the game at all.

Teams take on the persona of the coach and/or best player. Cal was extremely tense that game which made the team play tight and tense. If you play any kind of sport, when you play tense your game suffers.

Teams take on the persona of the coach and/or best player. Cal was extremely tense that game which made the team play tight and tense. If you play any kind of sport, when you play tense your game suffers.
Never said it was 100% their fault.

But players have to take responsibility for their performance on the court as well. Reed and Rob played great in many other high profile games, especially on the road in hostile environments.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Well...Rob went 2-9 against Oakland, many on open shots. He couldn't handle the moment.

Reed went 1-5, many on open shots. He also threw the ball into the stands twice.

If a team is loose in the tournament year after year and has one tight year you can blame it on just the players. But when a team is consistently tight in close games at the end of the year it would suggest you are taking on your coaches personality.

Especially for a game that is 100% muscle memory. That is basketball. And being tense in that kind of environment spells trouble.

Agreed...but wonder if they would have played better if they were given the starting nod? Having "The Accountant" drop bombs from 3-point-land (like lay-ups) an trying to pull the team back to a tie and/lead was too much for them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT