ADVERTISEMENT

Did We Play Better Without the Bigs?

Not saying we don’t need the bigs, we do. But, at the beginning of the season we were running, we were passing, we were exciting. Since the bigs, we just have not been the same. I wish we would just start pressing full court, use our depth, and play fast paced. That would help us defensively by giving opponents less time on their possessions once they get the ball across mid court. We are not strong in half court defense, so giving your opponent less time to run their offense could work out better for us. We have the talent and depth. Let’s use it.
Lol, from what I’ve seen so far this year, we don’t have any bigs. (A least worthy of playing)

Wonder why that is? Why is U.K. the most injured team in the nation. Year after year?
People are so intent on crucifying Calipari that they don't evaluate how effing hard it would be to integrate 3 players of that sort IN THE EFFING MIDDLE OF THE SEASON. How do you play? What do you play? How do you get them experience? And on and on. IN THE EFFING MIDDLE OF THE SEASON.

But there's chum in the water and screaming is so much fun.

There hasn't been an intact roster for a single game

Our defensive rebounding got worse right around the onset of conference play.

It peaked about 10 games into the season at about about 74.9%. That rate now would be ranked in the top 70 in the nation. Now, it has dropped to 69.7% on the season. That's ranked in the 220's. Our 5 game moving average paints a worse picture with our defensive rebound rate scraping below 65%, which for the season would rank us alongside Arkansas pine bluff all the way down at 356th.

Fans are deranged and hyperbolic. Fact in evidence: basketball is a game that doesn't affect anyone's life outside of the game. We could lose every game by 10000 points and it wouldn't make the fan comments as evidenced on this board not deranged. Every day all over the world, games are played. When they're over, they're over.
What a weird guy. Joins a UK sports forum. Sees UK fans being passionate and wonders why they aren’t more casual. Maybe you should log off and join a retirement forum, grandpa.

Reactions: WeWant9
What a weird guy. Joins a UK sports forum. Sees UK fans being passionate and wonders why they aren’t more casual. Maybe you should log off and join a retirement forum, grandpa.
I don’t even think he’s that old. One of those types who feels he’s intellectually superior because he calls it “just a game” if anyone expresses any emotion about UK. Not worth anyones time.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I don’t even think he’s that old. One of those types who feels he’s intellectually superior because he calls it “just a game” if anyone expresses any emotion about UK. Not worth anyones time.
He said he was old. And that he bought some guitar in like 1970 or something.

Reactions: WeWant9
Our defensive rebounding got worse right around the onset of conference play.

It peaked about 10 games into the season at about about 74.9%. That rate now would be ranked in the top 70 in the nation. Now, it has dropped to 69.7% on the season. That's ranked in the 220's. Our 5 game moving average paints a worse picture with our defensive rebound rate scraping below 65%, which for the season would rank us alongside Arkansas pine bluff all the way down at 356th.

I guess the good news is tonight we face a team that absolutely stinks at rebounding lol

Reactions: fatguy87
I guess the good news is tonight we face a team that absolutely stinks at rebounding lol
Haha! Indeed. They are actually one of the worst teams on the defensive glass this season overall.

Funny enough, they are better than us on the offensive glass. It's interesting how offensive and defensive rebounding aren't necessarily joined at the hip. They are practically different skills.

Reactions: The_Answer1313
I think what it has done is caused Cal to have to think about the rotation in game which is always a bad idea. Before the bigs it was basically a 7 man rotation with the starters and then Rob and Sheppard coming off the bench. It was easy and didn’t take a lot of thought. I think that’s why Cal was hesitant to bring Reed into the starting lineup. He has to then play matchups.

Very similarly in 2015, before the Poythress injury, he ran 5 out, played them an X amount of time, then bring 5 more in. No fuss no muss. But then AP went down and it was now down to 9 guys which meant more needs for matchups. I feel like that was one of the reasons for the downfall for that team that year. Cal’s not a good X and O coach.

Reactions: NostraDanis
Some folks seem to be leaning heavily on the fact that the season has been filled with injuries (which has become the norm for some reason) and that has hurt the team's continuity.
I have one question, and I mean it seriously, how many 5-star players does Cal need on the floor to beat unranked teams? At home?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT