ADVERTISEMENT

Did any of you see the Derek Anderson injury live back in 1997?

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
I remember reading about it in the paper when I was a kid, but I don't remember watching it on live television.

For those of you who were there, how did the injury happen and what was the crowd reaction like?

Talk about a defining moment for that season. If Anderson is healthy all year, UK would have beaten Arizona by 8+ points.

I remember it. It was against Auburn at Rupp. He was chasing after a loose ball along the sideline in front of the scorers table when he pulled up and started grabbing his knee. I don't even think he went to the ground, and didn't look like he was in excruciating pain. He limped off but was putting weight on it. It didn't look that bad. I was shocked the next day when the news broke that he tore his ACL.

If not for DAs injury UK 3 peats. The last team to 3 peat to this day is UCLA from ‘71-‘73 …..50 yrs ago!
SMDH

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
It reminded me of the Sam Bowie Injury, back in 82 I believe against Vandy, I'll never forget it when it happened and Sam was never the same.

• Sad
Was in heavy contention for NPOY and DNPOY. Was a huge loss. DA/Mercer were the best duo in college ball in 1997 and it wasn’t close.
And if Nazr makes FTs v Arizona we still 3 peat.
0-6 and lost by 5 in OT
How many title games has UK lost due to poor FT shooting?
2014 Title Game (Johnson, Hawkins, Aaron Harrison and Poythrees went a combined 1 for 8 from the FTL) lost by 6.

Last edited:
I was actually at that game. It was a scary injury and if my memory is right he actually returned to the game briefly in the second half and I remember thinking he was probably fine. Only to get home and see he was out for the season.

Back then ACL was as likely to end a career as end a season. But Pitino had always seemed like he half walked out of some fantasy land to come here and do what he did. So even though it seemed impossible that DA could really play again that season, when we started hearing about miracle cutting edge surgery and doctors clearing him, most of us more than half believed it might actually go down. Mike Bibby would have just been a stain on the court with a snide grin if that had really happened.

I remember it. It was against Auburn at Rupp. He was chasing after a loose ball along the sideline in front of the scorers table when he pulled up and started grabbing his knee. I don't even think he went to the ground, and didn't look like he was in excruciating pain. He limped off but was putting weight on it. It didn't look that bad. I was shocked the next day when the news broke that he tore his ACL.

This. I remember watching it on TV and never really thought anything than a bruise. Seemed like a pretty routine injury.

Yep I remember it very well !! We were the best team in the country by a good margin until that night !! You’re correct he was chasing a loose ball and when he stopped he just bent over and started rubbing his knee and limped off the court .

If not for DAs injury UK 3 peats. The last team to 3 peat to this day is UCLA from ‘71-‘73 …..50 yrs ago!
SMDH
That’s assuming we have the same team in 98 and they are hungry for another. If events change it would stand to reason all others will have alternate outcomes

Reactions: BillyJoeCat-fan
It reminded me of the Sam Bowie Injury, back in 82 I believe against Vandy, I'll never forget it when it happened and Sam was never the same.
Bowie’s injury was completely different. Tibial stress fractures as I recall. Was damn difficult to treat back then. He actually did recover pretty well for his last season at KY. It is my belief, if not for Georgetown freakish debacle, the ‘84 team would have been remembered as the greatest college team in history to that point. That said, you are right as regards the NBA. I think injuries kept Bowie from reaching his full potential.

1984 was and remains a nightmare in KY basketball history. 2015 is a mere blip in comparison. I find it amusing at all the hysteria over 2015. Those individuals would have been physically gutted had they experienced 1984.

Reactions: dcw62
This is 100% correct.

Reactions: BlueWhite21
Pitino painted himself in a corner by not being able to play Anderson because when all the media was asking the questions about DA returning he didn't think it was anyway possible that DA could play that year so he says wat coaches say that he wouldn't play DA if his life depends on it.

Now, maybe Rick decided to tell the truth that day and meant what he said, but when they was out in San Jose CA practicing it was said DA was by far best player on the floor so if you as a coach or letting him scrimmage and play full court for NBA scouts surely 12-15 mins wouldn't be that much different in the Championship game.... Except RP earlier in the year at a press conference had done said without question that DA was like his son so he would never play him.

I respect RP decision if it was genuine and he did what he said earlier and followed through for the right reasons, but it makes me guess and wonder. Moreso now than ever.

But.... hey he still pulled off a crazy feat because ppl think of those UK years and the players we had but in 1997 we wasn't supposed to be in the Championship game when ya have Epps starting at the 2 and, not that their is anything wrong with Epps at the 2 but it just shows how much we had to change things around and hope for the best... plus Mills playing big mins.

Without DA it wasn't close, or shouldn't have been close. Now, we had Mercer and some nice guys to go around him, but not reallly FF caliber and on top of it we had a pretty short bench. That's Just my $2 and 2 cents.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT