ADVERTISEMENT

Did Aaaron Harrison make a mistake by declaring?

They did what they wanted and I'm happy for them. I would have been just as happy for them if they had left earlier. What's so hard about that?
Wasn't talking about whether we should he happy for them, just said it is not a no-brainer when to leave and happy for me as a fan that a few key ones have stayed an extra year and seem to have gotten a lot out of it. PP has especially written some great stuff about being ready for the grind of professional basketball.

So . . .

If he goes undrafted, he's essentially a free agent, right? That means he can approach whatever team he likes and maybe even a team that might draft Andrew, I think.

I think only Aaron can decide if he made a mistake based on his personal goals. If one of those is to have a shot at playing with Andrew, he may have made a very smart move.

Cal's best three teams here have had a key contributor that came back for another year despite being projected as a mid-first rounder. WCS, PP, and TJ have all stated they are glad they did and how much they grew up and got better. Interesting that some people here think they made poor decisions...guess the 2012 championship is hollow to them.

No offense to Aaron Harrison, but he was/is never going to get drafted in the lotto or near lotto like those guys did.

So . . .

If he goes undrafted, he's essentially a free agent, right? That means he can approach whatever team he likes and maybe even a team that might draft Andrew, I think.

I think only Aaron can decide if he made a mistake based on his personal goals. If one of those is to have a shot at playing with Andrew, he may have made a very smart move.

This is what I'm almost expecting. Whoever drafts Andrews grabs a second round pick to nab Aaron, or picks him up in FA. They play together in summer league and go from there. Having the twins play together this summer could sell a few tickets.

Interesting that some people here think they made poor decisions...guess the 2012 championship is hollow to them.

Winning a national championship will cure almost anything, IMO. But I don't think, that out of anyone that declared, there was a question whether they wouldn't get drafted at all. I can't recall what the board sentiments on Doron Lamb or Marquis Teague were, but we all know now that they were taken.

I think it's funny reading the comments on how Aaron should have left last year when his stock was high. Hate to real it to you but some mock drafts had him as a low 1st round pick and then he played in college and that dropped to 2nd round to undrafted.
He was pretty bad last yr defensively as his brother. Neither was any count offensively either.
Let's say both declared after their freshmen year in which both were 2nd picks at best and then after measuring their intangeables and actually worked out for some teams. They show these general managers how they couldn't guard anybody or shoot a lick and they are lucky and get drafted in the 2nd round let's say mid second.
So what does a second round pick mean? It doesn't mean jack it means if they do not perform they have no contract and are out. Only a 1st round pick is guarenteed 1 red cent. Any other guy is at the mercy of whichever nba team feels the need for em. Most nba teams have no need for a guy who can't shoot can't defend and is just not that good.
You think that these teams just give any Joe off the street a million dollars just because They are good guys?

I believe he is the one guy that had nothing to lose by coming back and could gain.

If that clutch 3 became a consistent outside shot and he continued to lock down that midrange he could have helped himself.

His jumper can get better whether he's at UK or not.

Aaron Harrison is not going to slip through the cracks. He has the support network to get the most out of his abilities. He isn't going to be bagging groceries next summer if he doesn't make the league. It is what it is...

[winking]
The problem is, if he does not impress this year and doesn't make a roster he could become a forgotten commodity. It's pretty rare to see D-League players get called up and actually stick on a roster.

Well, I think UK is a better place to do that than on some D-League team. I think another season could do him well regarding his shot and D.

Like I said, I generally agree with you, but there are guys who improve their NBA prospects and help themselves long term all the time by staying in college.

based on what? fandom?

terrence jones returned for his SO year...stock DROPPED. spent most of his rookie year in the d-league.....got better. like most do

Probably 90% of these 5 star players stock is highest before they step foot on a college court. These highly recruited kids are at a disadvantage the longer they stay in college. Andrew was a top 10 pick in mock drafts in October before his freshman year. Some mock draft at the same time had Harrell around 10-15. Will either get drafted that high I doubt it. But IMO both improved over the last year

The problem is, if he does not impress this year and doesn't make a roster he could become a forgotten commodity. It's pretty rare to see D-League players get called up and actually stick on a roster.

That isn't true at all. Players come up from the d-league and from overseas all the time.

Anyway, don't sweat it. He's doing what he thinks is best for him. If he's good enough, he will eventually make a roster somewhere.

If you don't believe this, spend some time going through NBA rosters and pick out all the players you don't know. If you can play, they find you.

Aaron Harrison may or may not be good enough, but he won't get lost in the shuffle. He's a blueblood.

based on what? fandom?

terrence jones returned for his SO year...stock DROPPED. spent most of his rookie year in the d-league.....got better. like most do

Great point we all know jones improved between his 1st and 2nd year, yet his stock still dropped. That's the nba for you, and why some many ppl don't like nba basketball.

better development at the next level and you get paid. right choice by both.
I disagree. You only develop at the next level, and get paid, if your drafted. If he isn't, he is either in the DL or in Europe. Either way, he would have been better off to have worked his butt off and then showed that he could hit a better %, next year. He hit some clutch shots, but there are way too many shooters that make a better % than he does.

I disagree. You only develop at the next level, and get paid, if your drafted. If he isn't, he is either in the DL or in Europe. Either way, he would have been better off to have worked his butt off and then showed that he could hit a better %, next year. He hit some clutch shots, but there are way too many shooters that make a better % than he does.

the fact that you think you dont develop in the DL speaks to your complete ignorance on the topic.

The mistake was made last year when he was known as Mr Clutch. He came back for his brother and it's going to cost him unfortunately. I still think he'll make a living playing ball and will make a ton of money. Not a bad life.

I know some may disagree but Booker is doing the right thing. He's selling while his stock is high. If he had come back and potentially had a shooting season next year like he did the first and last two months of the season, he'd be sharing stories with Aaron about what could have been next year.

I never blame any of these kids for leaving the first chance they gets especially players who's bread and butter is shooting.

Aaron shot 30% last yr and this year. Booker is a much better shooter and is a better athlete he's gonna be drafted higher.

To make the claims that Aaron would been drafted because he hit a 3 pointer in a game one time is just stupid. They don't care if one time you hit a layup in a pick up game at the local park. They want you to meet their intangeables they set up in their workouts.
You do not just show up and say draft me and I'm going to be number 10 in the draft because this one guy who is not even paid by the league is just making speculations who he might think will be drafted and where they might be drafted at. All he is doing is looking at HS rankings and making speculation on where the top ranked players who are in HS might be drafted. It has no bearing at all where they would be drafted even if they could be drafted out of HS.

I think most of you guys are insane honestly.

based on what? fandom?

Based on his own words. Perhaps the second year in a good environment and growing up a little gave him the work ethic and mental approach to put the work in. Not as black and white as you are spinning it.

And he went to the DLeague because the Rockets had a load of forwards, they drafted 3 in the first that year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Aaron shot 30% last yr and this year. Booker is a much better shooter and is a better athlete he's gonna be drafted higher.

To make the claims that Aaron would been drafted because he hit a 3 pointer in a game one time is just stupid. They don't care if one time you hit a layup in a pick up game at the local park. They want you to meet their intangeables they set up in their workouts.
You do not just show up and say draft me and I'm going to be number 10 in the draft because this one guy who is not even paid by the league is just making speculations who he might think will be drafted and where they might be drafted at. All he is doing is looking at HS rankings and making speculation on where the top ranked players who are in HS might be drafted. It has no bearing at all where they would be drafted even if they could be drafted out of HS.

No he didn't. He shot 35.6% from three as a frosh.

Doesn't matter if it's 35 or 30 doesn't mean nothing at all. How good did Lamb shoot it?

Based on his own words. Perhaps the second year in a good environment and growing up a little gave him the work ethic and mental approach to put the work in. Not as black and white as you are spinning it.

And he went to the DLeague because the Rockets had a load of forwards, they drafted 3 in the first that year.

but it is apparently black and white that returning is the best option. while going to the DL is a career ender.

but lets keep that pro uk spinning going.....

We'll his actual stats were 31.6 this yr and 35.6 last year and wasn't a first round pick.
He got his feed back from the GM's and they said he wasn't a 1st round pick. No matter how muchyou all put sugar on it he was not a 1st round pick last year and was not one this year even after being a better overall player.
You did not understand my point about Lamb as well, Lamb was a tremendous shooter from deep. Makes Aaron look like an amateur and he wasn't a 1st round pick and is out of the nba. What makes Aaron so much more highly valuable to a team with a 35.6% (got to make sure that is as accurate as possible because that's the difference between terrible and the greatest of all time) average from deep compared to Lamb or Miller?? Miller was a better shooter, better athlete and bigger than Aaron and he is not in the league and wasn't a first round pick.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/aaron-harrison-1.html

I am amazed at the seeming obsession of some on here with keeping the twins together.

I would feel pretty certain that the last thing on the mind of any team who drafts one is "...how do we get the other as well."

but it is apparently black and white that returning is the best option. while going to the DL is a career ender.

What you talking about? No one you have responded to has said that. Or anything near that. You are literally disagreeing with the actual players. 2012 must have been torture for you since they TJ was so taken advantage of and so dumb for coming back.

Or maybe there's two sides that need to be more consistently presented by individual posters instead of the typical warring parties. I know that's virtually unheard of here, as most posters tend to write cantankerous polemics where one side of the argument is completely ignored, but it's something that needs to happen more consistently here.

Some kids need to jump at the first chance. They're ready mentally and physically. Some kids, however - guys like Jones - might be ready physically, but may not be ready mentally. It's the same mindset that makes a kid like Wiggins choose Kansas over Kentucky -take the smaller lights option minus the pressure and hope for the same results (in that regard, Minnesota is the perfect market for Wiggins right now).

So Aaron thought he was ready? More power to him. I'm not sure why anyone has to saddle up on one side of the fence or the other when it comes to this issue. Each situation is unique, and fans writing from the perspective of middle-aged men really aren't in a position to determine whether a kid should make the jump or not, largely due to the fact that we're thinking with the realities of fully-developed frontal lobes and the added maturity that comes with life experience. Some kids just aren't ready, even if the entire world thinks they are.

I am amazed at the seeming obsession of some on here with keeping the twins together.

I would feel pretty certain that the last thing on the mind of any team who drafts one is "...how do we get the other as well."

Phoenix got the Morris twins together. They also had both Dragic brothers, who then both moved to Miami together. It isn't as far-fetched as you make it out to be. Especially when it will probably be fairly cheap to test the theory.

Phoenix got the Morris twins together. They also had both Dragic brothers, who then both moved to Miami together. It isn't as far-fetched as you make it out to be. Especially when it will probably be fairly cheap to test the theory.

True but the talent gap between the Morris twins & the Harrison's is readily apparent. When one, in this case Aaron, would be the last guy on your bench, acquiring him to fill that spot because he will be united with his brother just won't be a consideration, imo. The NBA is a business.

True but the talent gap between the Morris twins & the Harrison's is readily apparent. When one, in this case Aaron, would be the last guy on your bench, acquiring him to fill that spot because he will be united with his brother just won't be a consideration, imo. The NBA is a business.

The comment I made was that someone would try to get them on the same summer league team. That isn't much of a financial commitment. If Aaron impresses in summer league, then making him your 15th man wouldn't be shocking.

The comment I made was that someone would try to get them on the same summer league team. That isn't much of a financial commitment. If Aaron impresses in summer league, then making him your 15th man wouldn't be shocking.

Then my bad for not realizing that. I could see it happening in summer league.

I think he made a mistake because he was still a Sophomore. His stock would do nothing but go up with another season. He would've been one year closer to a degree. Basketball isn't a guaranteed career for Aaron. I hope he makes it though and wish him nothing but the best.

If declaring for the NBA Draft, having 2 years of eligibility remaining, with no guarantee of actually being drafted is the right choice, then what do these kids define as the wrong choice?????

Shooting and ball handling can be improved with more hard work and repetition. Playing in the D-League without a guaranteed contract is a heck of a lot harder path to improvement than spending another year at UK. I would hate to think that Aaron has reached his peak as a 20 year old.

His combine performance was a huge detriment to his aspirations of being drafted at all. Hate it for the kid. Hope he tears it up in those individual workouts. It may be his only hope of getting picked up as a free agent. Hope he makes it into the league.

Yes. But, we needed the scholarship and minutes for Newman, Brown, Matthews, Vick, Mulder and/or Murray. Maybe in hindsight it wasn't the best of decisions.

Yep, absolutely.

This idea that you can't improve your stock by improving your skills (in Aaron's case, his shooting) is utter nonsense. Don't know why so many people have fallen into this lazy way of thinking.

If he comes back, shoots better and more consistently, varies his game a bit more, he's an early 2nd rounder at least in 2016.

Reactions: wcc31

Your post looses all credibility when you post false stats and percentages to support your point. Aaron shot 35.6% as a freshman and 30% as a soph. But since you only see him as having "hit a 3 pointer in a game one time" then I understand why you did it.

Despite the percentages, there's something to be said for making shots when the game is on the line. Aaron came up big for us time and time again and two banners are hanging because of him. The kid is a winner.

Well I guess then he is going to be the top pick of the draft. Nuff said it's settled.
Clearly I do have an agenda and it's called being down to earth, realistic expectations. He was not a 1st round pick last year was he? If's and's and but's and if pigs had wings they could fly. It's all pretty moot on ur all's argument, he wasn't drafted and at best was a mid 2nd round pick if that. He come back improved his D and his shot was still off and gotten worse.
Oh and by the way a 35.6385729583626485950372 % shooter is not that good. It may of been better than urs but to many other SG it is not. Just as I stated in the previous post Lamb is prob our best shooting guard of all time when u factor in just his shooting which seems to be the topic of why Aaron should be drafted and Lamb was not 1st round material. Darius Miller who was also a better shooter more talented, more athletic, bigger etc was not drafted on the first.

So what makes any (I'm refraining from calling names) think that Aaron was a first round pick??? I haven't heard a good reason yet except the argument that he was a 35.64948573930388473 shooter and he was a winner once upon a time. None of those is a reason to be drafted. Their are many players who do not play in the league that actually won a title and have better shooting percentages.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT