ADVERTISEMENT

Did a quick glance on BYU vs UK 3 pt shooters last year.

KMKAT

All-American
Sep 17, 2003
Duluth
BYU - 5 guys had 145 or more attempts. 2 more had at least 92.

UK - 3 guys had 144 or more attempts. DJ shot 96.

Overall, BYU shot 1063 vs UK 772.

Guess what our focus will be for players going forward?

And fans thought we shot a lot of 3 pointers last year.

If we get Osobar to go along with Williams I'd say the % of shots being 3 pointers will go down since both
usually wind up getting fouled or scoring buckets when they get the ball near the rim. We still may shoot
more than last year but I don't think it will be as extreme as it was a BYU; he didn't have the beasts inside there.

3 bigs and last second shot clock?

Did you happen to catch the percentages? I’d be curious how they stack up. Shep was lethal.

Did you happen to catch the percentages? I’d be curious how they stack up. Shep was lethal.
BYU made 11.1 per game at 34.77% (135th)
KY made 9.9 per game at 40.88% (1st)

Last edited:
BYU made 11.1 per game at 34.77% (135th)
KY made 9.9 per game at 40.88% (1st)

Thanks for the info. UK shot amazingly well and couldn't win a tournament game. Thanks Cal.

I believe BYU shot more 3s than 2s. I have always felt that emphasizing the 3pt shot in your offense helps get better shots. It has seemed for the most part under Cal nobody was prepared to take 3s, until this year and that improved slightly. 3s and layups are the most efficient shots, and that's what the offense should be designed for.

Thankfully Cal will be running his antiquated offense down in Fayetteville next season.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I believe BYU shot more 3s than 2s. I have always felt that emphasizing the 3pt shot in your offense helps get better shots. It has seemed for the most part under Cal nobody was prepared to take 3s, until this year and that improved slightly. 3s and layups are the most efficient shots, and that's what the offense should be designed for.

Thankfully Cal will be running his antiquated offense down in Fayetteville next season.

Nah, Cow LOVES Ar-Kansas... watch them run and gun...

• Haha
Reactions: Girthang
Nah, Cow LOVES Ar-Kansas... watch them run and gun...
Not taking up for Cal, as he definitely had to go, but KY had the second highest-scoring offense in the country at 89.0 per game. It was our defense that hurt us and prevented us from doing much better overall.

Not taking up for Cal, as he definitely had to go, but KY had the second highest-scoring offense in the country at 89.0 per game. It was our defense that hurt us and prevented us from doing much better overall.

I made a post earlier before the one you quoted as it seemed that way but I actually looked it up... UK dropper their scoring a lot the last several games. Kind of wonder why that happened... (I will look at the box scores and see if I can catch why...)

Reactions: Girthang
It says a lot that Sheppard didn’t qualify for the percent lead due to not shooting enough
Definitely criminal, but a lot of that is on Reed. We watched him pass up shot after shot to get a worse shot for someone like DJ or Edwards. Cal said many times he wanted him to shoot more. Cal definitely mismanaged the roster and lineups as well though. Should have been more aggressive about him taking open shots and setting curls and screens for him and Reeves.

That is the downside of having an unselfish team first kid like that.

But don't be shocked if we shoot less than BYU did last year. Pope will/should have at his disposal better athletes and better shooters. Where as at BYU he knew most games the other team was more athletic so he had to beat them in another way. At UK he may have more options. Options is good. Same reason you shouldn't ONLY play the same 1 defense all the time. If the other team knows what you are going to do, it makes it easier to play against. So if BYU shot 1060, and UK shot 770 last year, next year I would put the range at 880-980.

Reactions: CGblue

Tradition rebuild, chapter 2?

we don't really know what we are getting with Mark Pope. He may change up how he coaches to match what he has on his team. if the team is a 4 out three shooting team, then he plays that way. if he has 2 bigs that can bang it home down low, then he goes that way. don't think he will be trying to fit square pegs in round holes.

Reactions: KENTUCKY_FLYER
I've watched BYU games but can't tell if the offensive set they run is generated by the bench, the PG, or is like an old fashioned jazz "head arrangement". The center takes the pass at the top of the key and then plays button-button-who-has-the-button with the cutters. The center decides who gets the ball next. I've watched people describe the offense but I can't figure out the rhyme or reason of why this or that player got the ball. The margins for this guy being more open than that guy are just usually far tinier than I can pick out. There is no stat to log for accurately judging who is open. Yet, that's what Pope's 5 is supposed to excel at. Pope's 5 is not only supposed to evaluate the defense for passing purposes, he also has to figure out what the defense is expecting and surprise them. My confusion while watching it is half the fun.

Only Cal could neuter the best shooting team in school history.
Yep. We started off last season looking like a completely different team with no bigs and 3’s flying all game long. Actually played really great basketball until, UNCW and the introduction of Bradshaw (a Big) into our lineup and the way we played changed from there over the next several games as UGO and eventually big Z came into the fold. Cal never went small again, always having at least 1 of the 3 in the lineup and sometimes 2. Even took away Z’s perimeter game and forced him into the paint. His coaching is just really bad, I’m surprised it doesn’t get more exposure from the national pundits.

All I ask for is that we have the ability to adjust in games where they aren't falling and have some post guys who can take over when that happens.

Remember when we had three of the best 3 point shooters in our programs history on our team and cal decided to play through Tre Mitchell in the tournament? I remember.

So glad that clown is gone and the fan base is going to eat up learning about popes schemes.

I'm not trying to defend Cal, AT ALL, but our four (4) post players only took twelve (12) shots and hit seven (7) of them, with Mitchell going 4 for 8. Oakland zoned and the middle was open, plus we had the size-match-up in our favor. In my opinion, it was poor defense and eleven (11) turnovers that really hurt us ... in addition to Gohlke being UNREAL !!

Reactions: dckala2

I would have loved to have seen what CMP could have done with our last year’s roster.

All I ask for is that we have the ability to adjust in games where they aren't falling and have some post guys who can take over when that happens.
This is something that frustrated me over these past 5 years or so...

Watching other coaches make adjustments, while Cal just kept trying to do the same thing over and over.

Watching Gonzaga run the same play over and over and Cal just sat there and watched.

Reactions: tomrain

Don’t like Cal but to say it only slightly improved this year is just not true. We should have definitely shot more but the whole approach to 3 pointers wad a big improvement over the past years

Don’t like Cal but to say it only slightly improved this year is just not true. We should have definitely shot more but the whole approach to 3 pointers wad a big improvement over the past years
And that was largely due to Welch being on the staff. I have to think the late season adjustments to approach was part of the reason he got as far away from Cal as he could by going all the way to Fresno.

until it mattered

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT