ADVERTISEMENT

Dick Weiss tweet

He’s not “making generational wealth” for anybody but himself. All those rich NBAers still would’ve become rich NBAers regardless of what college coach they chose to spend their one CBB season with.

I’m quite tired of seeing people repeat that bullshit marketing pitch unchallenged.

He’s not “making generational wealth” for anybody but himself and his own family. All of those rich NBAers still would’ve become rich NBAers regardless of what college coach they chose to spend their one CBB season.

I’m quite tired of seeing people repeat that bullshit marketing pitch unchallenged.
Don't forget how Cal ''developed'' John Wall, Anthony Davis, Boogie Cousins, etc etc.

He’s not “making generational wealth” for anybody but himself and his own family. All of those rich NBAers still would’ve become rich NBAers regardless of what college coach they chose to spend their one CBB season.

Exactly. Anthony Davis' once-in-a-lifetime talent and basketball genetics (and lots of hard work) earned him those fat contracts. Not 6 months under CCC...

I have always been one who paid no attention to cal when he spouted this generational wealth stuff. I assumed it was always a recruiting ploy and I was fine with that. But he’s burned through all that goodwill. It’s time to stand up in front of bbn with his hat in his hand and show humility to the program and the people that was here before him and will be here after him.

I have always been one who paid no attention to cal when he spouted this generational wealth stuff. I assumed it was always a recruiting ploy and I was fine with that. But he’s burned through all that goodwill. It’s time to stand up in front of bbn with his hat in his hand and show humility to the program and the people that was here before him and will be here after him.
I think originally it was a recruiting ploy but the more he said it the more he believed that ending generational poverty for the players was what God placed him on this earth to do. In the meantime he got away from doing what he is paid to do...win games and titles. What he forgot in all of it is that if UK wins, the players get drafted and he can both keep UK fans happy and players happy. It doesn't have to be an either/or scenario.

Thank you Hoops for standing up for the BBN!!!

What happened to Cal’s schtick about his kids “giving all they had to winning at UK for the time they are here and then after the season, UK doing everything they can to help these kids reach their highest potential for the next level”??? I still remember “Succeed and Proceed”!!

Not much going on for the front end of that and a WHOLE LOT for the back end!!

He's created a monster that's now eating him alive! He needs to start being "real" with many of these unworthy oads and explain to them it's not the end of the world if you are 20-21 before you start your career. With NIL, this should be a much easier sell now.

Don't forget how Cal ''developed'' John Wall, Anthony Davis, Boogie Cousins, etc etc.
LOL. Yep, it's a joke how that nonsense gets repeated unchallenged. EVERYBODY already had Anthony Davis and John Wall projected to be the No. 1 pick before they ever put on a UK uniform. Cal did nothing to make that happen, it was gonna happen anyways regardless of where they went to college.

I've always found it a bit galling the way Cal tries to claim unjust credit for his players' accomplishments this way. The truth is they're the ones who made him insanely rich, NOT the other way around.

LOL. Yep, it's a joke how that nonsense gets repeated unchallenged. EVERYBODY already had Anthony Davis and John Wall projected to be the No. 1 pick before they ever put on a UK uniform. Cal did nothing to make that happen, it was gonna happen anyways regardless of where they went to college.

I've always found it a bit galling the way Cal tries to claim unjust credit for his players' accomplishments this way. The truth is they're the ones who made him insanely rich, NOT the other way around.
Well he did get them here and they played well under his watch. Could they have succeeded under anyone else? Sure, but they didn’t. I have no problem with him claiming them. Him reminding everyone about cousins led us to getting nerlens and KAT. He deserves his flowers in certain areas. The OAD thing was good for uk many times. The longer he heard himself speak the less self aware he became. Hope he learned from it

Reactions: RunninRichie
As if Cal is the one enabling them to make their generational wealth.....,
You are misguided. Cal is the one who's bringing players in here who don't give two shits about UK or its history, they're here to "get theirs" and "get rich". That's not okay. At all.

Cal doesn’t like recruiting older players because he loves making 18-19 year olds wealthy and helping their families. But why can’t he do the same for 21-24 year old players?

I think originally it was a recruiting ploy but the more he said it the more he believed that ending generational poverty for the players was what God placed him on this earth to do. In the meantime he got away from doing what he is paid to do...win games and titles. What he forgot in all of it is that if UK wins, the players get drafted and he can both keep UK fans happy and players happy. It doesn't have to be an either/or scenario.
Yes - he drifted off course. It seemed to happen - or at least greatly accelerate - during/after COVID. I just don't know if it's possible to get back on the path again, at least not from here.

Cal's complete focus on making UK an NBA farm team has run full circle and is now biting him in the ass.
You can't win championships with aspiring NBA freshman and you can't attract the future NBA stars to a losing program.
His rosters need balance, He needs to work a lot harder than he has been and he needs to focus more on winning F'ing games than being an NBA puppy mill.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
He’s not “making generational wealth” for anybody but himself. All those rich NBAers still would’ve become rich NBAers regardless of what college coach they chose to spend their one CBB season with.

You are so right. You think Anthony Davis and all the others wouldn't have made their money had they not come to UK? It's not Cal making them rich, it's their abilities.

Cal's complete focus on making UK an NBA farm team has run full circle and is now biting him in the ass.
You can't win championships with aspiring NBA freshman and you can't attract the future NBA stars to a losing program.
His rosters need balance, He needs to work a lot harder than he has been and he needs to focus more on winning F'ing games than being an NBA puppy mill.
Posted this a few weeks ago but applies here also
Some tidbits on an article I read about UConn and Coach Hurley. Seems to be the antithesis to CCC.

Coach Dan Hurley said it starts with the type of kid UConn recruits. Yes, they must have a lot of talent, but there also has to be an extreme passion for the game and for winning. If he's at dinner with a recruit or brings one to a practice and that player looks bored or is looking at his phone, UConn will take a hard pass, no matter the talent level.

“We’re all about ‘we’ and winning the next game and guys, you know, fulfilling their obligation to the team in terms of the role we need them to play. “When the ‘we’ season’s over, we will participate fully in the ‘me’ season with these guys in terms of draft stock and evaluating those things. But, we don’t recruit players based on promising the NBA. We recruit players based on we'll teach you how to be a man, and, and we’re going to show you how to win and succeed. And with those things, the NBA, you know, will come and get you when it’s time.”

Yes - he drifted off course. It seemed to happen - or at least greatly accelerate - during/after COVID. I just don't know if it's possible to get back on the path again, at least not from here.
It was WAY before COVID. His recruiting (regardless of class rank) and ability to get guys who can dedicate themselves to the program has been going down from the beginning. It's just that in the beginning, his prior recruits and their getting drafted into the NBA bought him time.

Posted this a few weeks ago but applies here also
Some tidbits on an article I read about UConn and Coach Hurley. Seems to be the antithesis to CCC.

Coach Dan Hurley said it starts with the type of kid UConn recruits. Yes, they must have a lot of talent, but there also has to be an extreme passion for the game and for winning. If he's at dinner with a recruit or brings one to a practice and that player looks bored or is looking at his phone, UConn will take a hard pass, no matter the talent level.

“We’re all about ‘we’ and winning the next game and guys, you know, fulfilling their obligation to the team in terms of the role we need them to play. “When the ‘we’ season’s over, we will participate fully in the ‘me’ season with these guys in terms of draft stock and evaluating those things. But, we don’t recruit players based on promising the NBA. We recruit players based on we'll teach you how to be a man, and, and we’re going to show you how to win and succeed. And with those things, the NBA, you know, will come and get you when it’s time.”
Yeap, I read that article, too. Hurley is all business and ALL SCHOOL. I love it.

I will say this about the Generational Wealth, changing lives mantra's etc.... that "spiel" is what helps him get top talent year after year.

Calipari may be the best recruiter of all time. But game planning and in game execution are not his strong suites.. So thats why he need's a couple of assistants that are great at those things, and let them loose...

He's created a monster that's now eating him alive! He needs to start being "real" with many of these unworthy oads and explain to them it's not the end of the world if you are 20-21 before you start your career. With NIL, this should be a much easier sell now.
It’s been happening at KU, Duke and UNC all along, Cow is the only one that has been shoving them out the door.

You are misguided. Cal is the one who's bringing players in here who don't give two shits about UK or its history, they're here to "get theirs" and "get rich". That's not okay. At all.
I was being sarcastic. Cal is taking credit where he should not.

I will say this about the Generational Wealth, changing lives mantra's etc.... that "spiel" is what helps him get top talent year after year.

Calipari may be the best recruiter of all time. But game planning and in game execution are not his strong suites.. So thats why he need's a couple of assistants that are great at those things, and let them loose...
... not sure I'm convinced he's the best recruiter. Recruiting isn't necessarily about getting the best potential individual talent b/c what's the point if the parts don't fit together and mesh to create a team. That, with a bunch of lazy overpaid coaches provided cover by a coach with a lying silver tongue ... well, the proof is the result you see on the court.

Reactions: Kyhoward
The real shame of this is that someone would need to say this about a "Hall of Fame" coach.

Yeap, I read that article, too. Hurley is all business and ALL SCHOOL. I love it.
If Mitch had this at his disposal at the meeting, I would show it to Kalipari, ask him to read it, and give me a response — without disclosing who made this declaration

Reactions: NociHTTP
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT