ADVERTISEMENT

Depression/Anxiety

I’m always going to be joked on for this, but have them check your testosterone levels/panel. They usually would rather give you pills but T has helped me out immensely with depression and those things.

Get it done either way whatever works. Don’t live like that.
Agreed, there are multiple endocrine issues that can lead to depression. For instance if you have an under active thyriod (Hypothyroidism), it can lead to severe depression. A simple blood test can uncover most hormonal imbalances. Many can be treated with a hormone replacement.

Last edited:
Mindfulness and other forms of mediation are very beneficial at reducing stress and anxiety - it takes a bit of learning and some level of discipline to make it part of your daily routine but it can pay off for you.

images
Paperback of this is an excellent.

Hope and Help for Your Nerves: End Anxiety Now https://a.co/d/cQv8p71

Exercise/stretching can release all kinds of good stuff in the body. Little electronic neck massager can help with tightness, which leads to to headaches and stuff.

I’ve heard Benadryl can be used in an anxious, sleepless evening.

Meds can break the day in day out horrible streak…and then maybe you could hop off them for good.

Reactions: roguemocha
Reading the Bible has helped me a lot with anxiety.

I can see that being the case. Clinical depression however is a different beast. It's a chemical imbalance in the brain. Feeling depressed and suffering from clinical depression aren't the same thing, and clinical depression almost always (if not always) requires professional intervention just like any other serious medical problem.

Yeah the older I get the more fighting off depression has become harder. Losing mom this year. My only child is graduating and moving out but me being a single dad since I was 22 I was rasing a daughter alone and put her before everything. Now it's jus me all the time but I'm 40 I don't drink myself shitfaced and I don't really want drugs. Hard to find someone to be good to when you've been a single dad for 18 years. I guess my cure is old fashioned sunshine 🌞 that's the only thing I really need to keep me stable.

I am sorry to hear about this OP but sounds like you are taking the right steps to get better.

I don't think I have dealt with depression on a level to where I need to take meds. I hope that continues to be the same.

I do get anxiety sometimes and feel panic attacks coming on. I do not feel stressed so not sure that is it. My best friends dad and wife had a tumor on their brain and two years later my dad did as well. With people that close to me, when I feel anything in my head, I start to think something is wrong with me. its the absolute worse and gives me panic attacks. I have found pinching the inside of my leg since its a sensitive area takes my mind away from having an attack.. I know its weird AF but it helps me. I don't have to do it long or hard to where it leaves marks but I feel I have an attack once every couple months.

My brother in law takes gummies for his anxiety. Not sure what type but I have thought about taking them as well. Just haven't yet. Truthfully, I am afraid of taking a gummy and having a reaction to it and that would send me to a bad panic attack.

While it's dismissive for people to say some of the above will cure it (read the bible? lol), some of the suggestions can help at least a little, maybe a lot. Particularly exercise. It sounds like you are suffering quite a bit. Medication helps most people, and therapy is just as important. I strongly suggesting getting in with a therapist / counselor. Working through issues can help quite a bit, and some people can go off meds after a while.

If the first therapist doesn't seem to be helping, try another. If the first medication doesn't help, try another. I strongly suggest staying off of benzos (such as Xanax) as they're habit forming and can cause a whole new set of problems. Lexapro is an SSRI and commonly prescribed to help both depression and anxiety.

Good luck!
Might wanna sit this one out partna...if you lol the Bible...

• Haha
Reactions: Kingseve1
I want to apologize yesterday for my metaphor regarding the Mongols without further explaining the point of it. I talked to a psychologist once about anxiety and the origins of it in terms of our genetics. She said that people evolved to have anxiety as a call to action - the adrenaline and all the other chemicals in your brain start popping to make you respond to a threat. She said the problem is that some people are at the far right end of that spectrum of how often that chemical reaction pops off. So while it would be normal to have that reaction if you're in the Mongol situation, it wouldn't be good for you to have high anxiety re: worries for some other things - especially if they are low probability and low impact.

The takeaway here is that there things you can do - outside of medication - that can help temper your anxiety. You need to send messages to your brain to help control it. And that's where therapy can really help you.

One other point to make you feel a little better. The people who had 0 anxiety about anything probably didn't make it. They were the ones who saw the Mongols coming and simply shrugged. So those of us with high anxiety - we're the survivors - and we probably pulled a lot of you losers who don't worry about anything along with us!

Personally, as far as exercise goes, walking outside is by far the best for something like this. I try to get in an hour as many days as I can between May-October. Clears your mind and freshens yoir sprit in addition to the many health benefits. Drink a lot of watwr daily. But the walking outside disconnects you in many ways while you're out there, which is great.

-physical activity is key. I know if I work in the yard, play tennis or take a hike In in a much better head space. If lay in bed too late(note i didnt say sleep)/spent more time on a screen than necessary I feel physically ill.

^sleep when you're tired and eat when you're hungry. It helps.

-also doing something creative: for me that's writing/playing music and cooking. Reading (physical books) helps as well.

-people need *in person* "community" as well, to varying degrees. For me that means tennis a couple times a week minimum and playing music with others at least once weekly. Also seeing folks during UKFB season. Others need more a few need less.

^the best thing about the internet...is that one can find folks with similar interests as well as researching what said interests may be.

-in short I feel better when I exercise my mind and body. I think I'm pretty typical in that regard.

Walking outside as someone said is very helpful, especially getting the sun on your skin. I think like 70% or so if Americans don’t get enough vitamin D, read we don’t go outside anymore.

After 10+ years in the south Florida sun every day, this winter back in KY about killed me. Being stuck inside for 2+ months isn’t good for you. Then the summer will hit and some people won’t go outside because now it’s too hot.

Mental health is something that society just does not allow men to have trouble with. With the number of men who commit suicide and/or mass shootings, I’d say maybe it’s time to start focusing on the lack of support many have.
In many cases, there is a double standard when it comes to behavior, expression of emotions, and much more. That HAS to stop. At the very least, free mental health resources should be available at every workplace.
Mental health, in general, is no longer really institutionally addressed. When we sorta emptied out the insane asylums, we didn’t replace them with anything nearly as effective. There are criminally insane people that just walk the streets and are homeless.
More importantly, OP, I hope that you are able to obtain the resources you need. It’s not one or the other; medication and therapy almost always have a positive effect. God bless, and have a great day.

Biggest thing that has helped me OP is Ketamine treatments. Look in to these, they've made a huge difference in how I feel. Forcing yourself to exercise is also very key. The pills won't just magically flip a switch and make you feel OK again. I've been there.l and suffer from both. I'm better off today than I was this time last year by finally going and getting professional help. I urge you to do the same.

First off, OP, I’m sorry that you’re going through this. Acknowledgment of the issue is a great first step. I wish there wasn’t a stigma tied to discussion of mental health issues in this country, especially for men. The tough guy act is just that, an act. I’ve lost a handful of male friends and relatives to suicide, and none of them ever indicated there was an issue until it was permanently too late.

I don’t suffer from anymore than “normal” anxiety caused by day-to-day stress. However, my wife has been fighting crippling anxiety and depression for nearly 20 years. It just popped up in her mid-20s and got worse with time. She comes from a broken home that included dual alcoholic parents at one point. Her childhood trauma is the root cause of her issues. (She could be a case study in how bad decisions made by adults can absolutely eff up their kids’ minds)

She’s been on a combo of meds for the last 15 years. She’s dealt with crippling bouts of depression that have kept her in bed for weeks at a time and anxiety so severe she’d vomit every morning and eat nothing for days at a time. Too many job losses to count. Two unsuccessful suicide attempts - one with pills, one with booze. Hospitalized both times. Both of these incidents were more than a decade agao.

She was originally misdiagnosed by her family doctor - originally diagnosed as major depressive and generalized anxiety disorder. Two years ago, I got a better job with fantastic mental health coverage. Since then, she’s been seeing a psychiatrist and therapist. She was correctly diagnosed as bipolar II and was taken off a couple meds and had a mood stabilizer added. Since then, she’s had only one depressive episode and is able to work again. The therapy is helping her work through the childhood trauma to the point she’s learning to cope with it and to let go of some of the resentment she has towards her parents (her mother is dead).

Some other things that helped along with therapy and meds:
Cut out caffeine at least 8 hours before bedtime
Get plenty of sleep
Don’t push yourself too hard. Taking breaks and not feeling like you must be productive 24/7 helps cope with stress
Stretch and exercise to the level you’re comfortable with
Eliminate processed foods as much as possible
Cut out soda and switch to water
Absolutely no alcohol. Ever. (It usually negatively interacts with many anti-depressants and a depressed person should avoid willingly ingesting depressants, of which alcohol is one)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT