ADVERTISEMENT

Dennis Smith = John Wall with a good jumpshot

ZaytovenCat

All-SEC
Gold Member
Apr 26, 2013
Paris, TN
I've always thought Dennis Smith was a great player but I had liked Seventh Woods a little better. But after recently seeing Smith play I want him at UK so bad. He's the clear cut best PG in the class IMO.

He's a couple inches shorter than Wall but has the same athleticism plus he's a very good shooter. He's everything you want in a player. It's hard to find a player with elite athleticism and shooting ability but Dennis Smith has it.

Smith and Monk are the two best guards in the class and in high school ball regardless of class. I really hope Cal can land Smith.

Easily the two I want the most. A class of Smith Jr, Monk, Bridges, Killyea Jones, and Ayton would be incredible. Toss in Fultz and yowzas.

Not sure how realistic that is, though.

John Wall is the best point guard to come out in the last six years. I'll reserve judgment before I give Smith the honor of being labeled on his level at the same stage.
I'm in the same boat. Smith looks awesome but Wall's athleticism and blazing speed were on a whole other level. Oh and he averaged 6+ dimes a game. I'll see him at the next level before I say he's THAT good. I mean, if Smith is Wall with a jumper, he'll be the best point guard the NBA has ever seen.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
A nice stutter step but in general that dude is not within miles of high school John Wall.

I wouldn't even agree with the "clear cut best PG in the class" statement. De'Aaron Fox is making a charge. He, too, has been compared to "John Wall with a jumper".
I'm seeing a pattern here. 2 John Walls in one class already.

Reactions: wcc31
Smith Jr., Monk, Jackson, Giles, and Ayton would be an absolute dream team. Can you imagine? That would be the most athletic team of all time. I know its not going to happen and Ayton would have to reclass but we technically have a shot with all these guys.

Our fans' fascination with players we have no chance at landing has always struck me as interesting.

I wouldn't even agree with the "clear cut best PG in the class" statement. De'Aaron Fox is making a charge. He, too, has been compared to "John Wall with a jumper".
I'm seeing a pattern here. 2 John Walls in one class already.
I agree. Lotta tough combo/PGs in the class with different styles. That said it seems to me Cal's best teams here have not rested the superiority of the PG anyway.

I think we get Monk with all the drama at Arkansas right now..As Cal said best class ever
Fox
Monk
Fultz 70%
Jones
**** :) yes i know you think he's going to Duke.
Ayton (I think he will reclassify and Cats are strong with Duke..)

Last edited:
I think we get Monk with all the drama at Arkansas right now..As Cal said best class ever
Fox
Monk
Fultz 70%
Jones
Giles yes i know you think he's going to Duke.

Where are some people getting that we are so strong with Ayton? I mean, I hope they're right, but as of now I've yet to see any recruiting guys pick anyone other than Kansas.

Fox
Monk
Fultz 70%
Jones

No, I know Giles is going to Duke.

That's what happens when john wall and Tyler ulis have a baby

No. Don't get sucked into the hype that surrounds these guys in high school. NBA all-star level players do not come around all that often. Remember all the hype around Wiggins? The best high school player since LeBron? His rookie year was okay, but nothing I saw made me think LeBron or Carmelo.

lol you must be looking at the 247 crystal ball...Its been Kansas, Duke and UK ..We could wind up with Maker ,,Brown or Ayton in this class..I bet we get 1 and all 3 are great..
No, I know Giles is going to Duke.
OK let me remove him from the list ..Could you send Cal a text..tell him Giles is going to Duke and stop wasting his time..TYVM

I would love to have Ayton and Maker together, that would be just...WOW. (Different position than Dennis)

Get him, and all we'll need is Anthony Davis with a sky hook...

That's good. Because D. Ayton is like Anthony Davis AND Drummond with a Sky hook. Super Beast. Greatest player of all time. Already! And Maker is Davis 2.0 with 3 point range.

Wall was a generational talent. His height, speed, speed with the ball, handles, hops and passing ability were off the charts. He will have an equal one day, but today ain't that day.

Reactions: brianpoe
Fox
Monk
Fultz 70%
Jones

Where are some people getting that we are so strong with Ayton? I mean, I hope they're right, but as of now I've yet to see any recruiting guys pick anyone other than Kansas.
The crystal ball doesn't update often for guys 2 years away. Here's an article from last month. Notice how he jumps to say Kentucky develops the best big men.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/7-footer-deandre-ayton-says-duke-kentucky-best-develop-big-men/

I see. Wasn't trying to imply that the crystal ball was the be all end all or anything, only that whatever the consensus is on a player among people on there is usually fairly reliable. Or at least more reliable than some posters on here would have you believe after they missed on Brown and Murray.

Only problem is, the quote in question really came across as more of an endorsement for Coack K than Kentucky.

I see. Wasn't trying to imply that the crystal ball was the be all end all or anything, only that whatever the consensus is on a player among people on there is usually fairly reliable. Or at least more reliable than some posters on here would have you believe after they missed on Brown and Murray.

Only problem is, the quote in question really came across as more of an endorsement for Coack K than Kentucky.

Standing at 6-foot-11 with an already chiseled frame and an athletic grace when he flies up and down the court, Ayton does not want to be labeled as just a back to the basket player and wants to fancy his game after the soon to be number one draft pick in Karl Anthony-Towns.

“Yeah, I picture my game as Karl Towns,” said Ayton. “He runs the floor, plays defense, and shoots the outside jumper.”

When asked his thoughts on another soon to be top pick inJahlil Okafor, Ayton noted “He did alright, I think he could’ve done more. I’m an athletic big. A stretch four. I don’t like to be in the post that much. I can play in the post, but someone else can play in the post while I’m outside.”

Reactions: jrpross
Standing at 6-foot-11 with an already chiseled frame and an athletic grace when he flies up and down the court, Ayton does not want to be labeled as just a back to the basket player and wants to fancy his game after the soon to be number one draft pick in Karl Anthony-Towns.

“Yeah, I picture my game as Karl Towns,” said Ayton. “He runs the floor, plays defense, and shoots the outside jumper.”

When asked his thoughts on another soon to be top pick inJahlil Okafor, Ayton noted “He did alright, I think he could’ve done more. I’m an athletic big. A stretch four. I don’t like to be in the post that much. I can play in the post, but someone else can play in the post while I’m outside.”

Right, but there was also this little tidbit that jumped out to me: When asked what schools do the best job developing big men, Ayton quickly said “Coach K and Kentucky, for sure."

I don't know, I guess I'm just an eternal pessimist. Especially with Duke seemingly getting everyone they want as of late.

Malik Newman is no longer a talented player, because he didn't pick UK. He's a scrub and overrated.

Had he chosen UK, he was going to be second coming of Allen Iverson, but bigger.

Let's get OP's opinion. Dennis Smith Jr. or Malik Newman?

I've always thought Dennis Smith was a great player but I had liked Seventh Woods a little better. But after recently seeing Smith play I want him at UK so bad. He's the clear cut best PG in the class IMO.

He's a couple inches shorter than Wall but has the same athleticism plus he's a very good shooter. He's everything you want in a player. It's hard to find a player with elite athleticism and shooting ability but Dennis Smith has it.

Smith and Monk are the two best guards in the class and in high school ball regardless of class. I really hope Cal can land Smith.

Same here on Smith & Monk!

lol you must be looking at the 247 crystal ball...Its been Kansas, Duke and UK ..We could wind up with Maker ,,Brown or Ayton in this class..I bet we get 1 and all 3 are great..

OK let me remove him from the list ..Could you send Cal a text..tell him Giles is going to Duke and stop wasting his time..TYVM

Don't waste your time texting Cal, he already knows.

The OP is the same poster who questioned Cal for never offering Seventh Woods (the same Woods who has watched his stock fall over the last year).

I meant that Smith is like Wall with a jumper. I never said he was as good as Wall.

As for Smith/Newman, even though I know you're just being a prick, I personally would take Malik Newman. No, that doesn't mean I'm saying Newman is better than Wall. I say it solely because I've never seen a player as good as Newman as far as all the players I've seen play in person. I know he happened to have a great game when I saw him but it's evidently a regular thing with him.

I meant that Smith is like Wall with a jumper.

If John Wall never shot jumpers, I suppose. Probably slower. Probably isn't as good of a shot blocker either (Wall was pretty decent at that). Unfortunately for him, Wall does shoot jumpers, and he was a better shooter, even back in high school, than Dennis Smith Jr.
Would it be cool to have him? For sure, but I don't see "freshman/1st team All-American/contention for NPOY/#1 draft pick" written on this kid.

John Wall ruined the mixtape for me. Not sure any guard will ever compare to his mixtape.

Then Anthony Davis ruined the big man mixtape for me.

Also, Smith isn't coming to UK.

Reactions: ThroughBlue
ADVERTISEMENT