ADVERTISEMENT

Deandre Ayton

miracle7s

Senior
Mar 23, 2005
can someone explain to me why everyone mentions him as a kid who would reclassify? He would be extremely young if he did that, I'm talking MKG, Devin Booker young, the youngest kid in college ball type young. Generally kids that reclassify are like a Karl Towns or Murray kids that are 19 or 18 going to be 19 during the season and should be in the class they reclassified to anyway because somewhere along the way they were held back specifically for athletic purposes and then caught up to expectations and can move back to correct class. Ayton is not that, Ayton is a kid that is in the correct grade and him reclassifying would really be like him skipping a grade and not returning to a graded he should be in. So it makes little sense and would seem to be very academically shady. I'm sure the kid could 100% play at the college level but I just don't see the logistics of it scholastically.

I don't know the how or why or anything at all about his decision to reclassify. Unless things have changed drastically it would be easy to skip a year and graduate. I only needed 3 classes my senior year. A few kids took their classes the summer before their junior year to finish early.

At any rate, if I had a chance at a $6mil/year job I would do everything I could to get there as quickly as possible.

Reactions: brianpoe
Nearly any average kid who wanted to put in the summer work, etc. could graduate high school a year early. In most cases you're just looking at taking English IV, whichever remaining math you need, and enough electives to meet the diploma requirements. Many just don't because a normal kid has no reason to, wants to stay with their friends, isn't ready to move away to college, etc.

Most kids aren't knocking on the door of a multi-million dollar payday, though. If you're a sure-fire pro, able to do it from an academic standpoint, and have a body and mind ready for the grind of college hoops, it makes little sense to stay in school unless the kid and his family just want to let things develop at a normal rate.

The reality with Ayton is he could start at center for any team in the country this year. If reclassifying is within reach for a kid like that, the general consensus is that they're going to do so.

He's not that young. He turned 17 ten days ago. His birthday falls into the July to September grey area where you could argue that he really belongs in the 16 or 17 class.

I suspect he's not going to reclassify. Guys like Andre Drummond, Nerlens Noel, and Karl Towns all started in one class, pushed it back a year, then went back to their original class when the NBA became the obvious destination. The NBA is the obvious destination for Ayton, too, but I suspect that the academic aspect of getting qualified for college is going to be more difficult for him. He's only been in the US for a few years, and he's always been set to graduate in 2017, which means he's more likely going to be like Skal Labissiere or Thon Maker, slightly older for his class, not younger.

Last edited:
Reactions: brianpoe
Devil's Advocate...how could being MKG or Devin Booker young be a bad thing?

Both of those guys were lottery picks, and at least a factor in their high draft status was the fact that they we're so young.

No clue if the kid is planning to reclassify, but if he can do it, he probably should.

Age wise, he is eligible for the 2017 draft, but class wise he is in the 2018 draft.

As it stands right now, he will be almost 20 when he gets drafted in 2018 (draft is in June, his birthday is in July).

Who knows if he reclassifies or not, but if he can academically, it would make since. We are talking about a potential Number One overall pick.

ADVERTISEMENT