ADVERTISEMENT

Dave Ramsey - what do people think?

That's great. That is something to be proud of.

My biggest complaint in the times I've listened to him is he ignores opportunity costs. You have paid off two houses and pay cash for cars. If you could have financed those assets at a lower rate than what you could have earned on the money you used to pay off those assets, you would have more money/net worth today than what you have now. For example, my current home financing rate is 2.25%. I can earn more than 2.25% investing that money. So by financing at a low rate I can use money I would have used to pay off the house to make additional money. My car loan is at zero percent, so anything I earn on the money I would have used to pay cash for the car is profit. If you can't finance at a lower rate than what you can earn by investing the money, then you are better off paying off debt than investing. If used correctly, financing is a good tool to build wealth.

Your point is a good one, except it leaves out one thing. Most people absolutely do not have the discipline to invest all the money that they would otherwise pay to a mortgage, and end up spending lots of it on stupid shit where they would’ve been better off just paying off the house in the long run.

Reactions: Get Bucket$
I am a big believer in Whole Life policies or similar polices. Ramsey preaches buy term and invest the difference. Problem is, as you note, most people do not have the discipline to invest the difference.

I am a big believer in Whole Life policies or similar polices. Ramsey preaches buy term and invest the difference. Problem is, as you note, most people do not have the discipline to invest the difference.

Whole life, and all similar products are absolute dog shit. They also pay about 10x the commission of term, if that tells you anything.

Seriously a horrible, horrible product.

Reactions: jameslee32
He gives mostly good advice, although it’s a little too extreme IMO. However, his radio show is the same shit over and over for years. The questions people call in with are stupid because he constantly addresses them. It’s just way too repetitive.

He’s fine. You don’t have to do what he says, and he says as much.

He knows his target audience is people with low financial- IQ.

I do not agree with a lot of his Biblical takes, nor the way he is pocketing millions off of churches promoting his advice - at church.

(There are so many layers to that which are disturbing).

From a nuts and bolts perspective, I admire his story.

However, none of his “personalities” have quite the experience he has, which make them lack his relatability.

His daughter, for example, makes condescending comments to callers, such as, “you won’t have to drive a $13 thousand car forever.”

I actually enjoy it when Dave steps in and overrides the jilted or tacky comments from the “co-hosts.”

I think Dave would be interesting to sit and have a chat with - the rest are annoying.

He’s built quite an empire, but it will be interesting to see if the next generation will have as much success peddling his basic advice, without the compelling backstory, and while simultaneously presenting themselves as marriage, family, sex and career experts.

Reactions: Hank Camacho
I think Dave would be interesting to sit and have a chat with - the rest are annoying.

He’s built quite an empire, but it will be interesting to see if the next generation will have as much success peddling his basic advice, without the compelling backstory, and while simultaneously presenting themselves as marriage, family, sex and career experts.
I find John Delony interesting. The rest are annoying Dave Ramsey yes-men.

I've always been a huge Dave Ramsey fan. His advice may seem overly simple but there's much more intellect involved there just beneath the eye, imo.

I'm just really not interested in the new iteration of his show where the focus is on the co-star who inevitably are annoying. Ken Coleman may be the most annoying person in creation. I'd rather stick my dick in a pencil sharpener than listen to that dork.

I find John Delony interesting. The rest are annoying Dave Ramsey yes-men.

I've always been a huge Dave Ramsey fan. His advice may seem overly simple but there's much more intellect involved there just beneath the eye, imo.

I'm just really not interested in the new iteration of his show where the focus is on the co-star who inevitably are annoying. Ken Coleman may be the most annoying person in creation. I'd rather stick my dick in a pencil sharpener than listen to that dork.

Too much self-promotion with these people - especially Coleman.

I listened to him go on a long rant about how he uses real pencils and pencil sharpeners.

It was near the end of a show and he even had a caller waiting. Gave her about 30 seconds because it was all the time he had left.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT