ADVERTISEMENT

Dana Carvey’s son dead at 32

No amount of prohibition will ever curb America’s appetite for drugs or alcohol. Not sure why so many people think that if we just try harder, jail more people, spend more money, the problem will go away.

A century ago the USA tried a 13 year long experiment on prohibition. It was not only an abject failure, but it made things far worse. But, hey…let’s not learn from past mistakes. Let’s keep repeating them. Pfft!
I think there is a lot of truth in your first paragraph. I don't mean this in a disrespectful way to people who drink and smoke pot, but there seems to be a significant amount of people who need the calming effects of alcohol or drugs to get through the day. I can't relate to feeling that much anxiety and stress that I need medication to cope with those feelings, but apparently, it's a common problem in this country. I think until there are better alternatives for alcohol and drugs, alcoholism and drug abuse will be major problems no matter what laws we create. While I feel sorry for people caught up in drug abuse or alcohol abuse, I don't like laws that protect us from ourselves. I'm more inclined to believe legal use of well-regulated and taxed drugs is a better solution than what we are doing now. Strengthen laws related to alcohol use and drug use that put others in danger, such as driving under the influence, robbery, etc., so the penalties are very stiff. My business and economics background makes me believe that if there is a demand for a product, someone will always provide it, whether it's legal or not. I think we have to accept there is likely to always be a demand so there will always be a supply.

I think there is a lot of truth in your first paragraph. I don't mean this in a disrespectful way to people who drink and smoke pot, but there seems to be a significant amount of people who need the calming effects of alcohol or drugs to get through the day. I can't relate to feeling that much anxiety and stress that I need medication to cope with those feelings, but apparently, it's a common problem in this country. I think until there are better alternatives for alcohol and drugs, alcoholism and drug abuse will be major problems no matter what laws we create. While I feel sorry for people caught up in drug abuse or alcohol abuse, I don't like laws that protect us from ourselves. I'm more inclined to believe legal use of well-regulated and taxed drugs is a better solution than what we are doing now. Strengthen laws related to alcohol use and drug use that put others in danger, such as driving under the influence, robbery, etc., so the penalties are very stiff. My business and economics background makes me believe that if there is a demand for a product, someone will always provide it, whether it's legal or not. I think we have to accept there is likely to always be a demand so there will always be a supply.

Very well said.

We’ve been hard at work on the “war on drugs” for as long as I’ve been alive. And as long as I’ve been alive we’ve been through multiple drug epidemics. Whether it was heroin, coke, meth, crack, OxyContin, or now fentanyl. If we are, in fact, at war with drugs, one thing is evident…drugs have won.

Last edited:
100K Americans - mostly young - are dead each year and you only care about some shitty products and some Mexican laborers. Get bent
LOL, that's an impressive mischaracterization of what I've written. Well done, sir!

Not really bubba. That’s exactly what you said. You brought up electronics and laborers that live in Mexico. I’ve never seen any “rights” that convey a “right” for quick border entry to get to work in America while living in another country. Don’t like it? Get up and get to the border earlier.

I'm sorry about his son. It is sad that this board can turn a thread about a kid dying into a political debate.
You new here boss? They make threads about dead people making fun of them and posting pics of people who’s name is close to the deceased persons.

Also, not like Dana Carvey is reading this. And literally the same 15 people turn EVERYTHING here political despite having their own thread to yell at each other like absolute douchebag morons with no life but politics.

They tried to call it the Incel Thread but the lefties said that was upsetting to the ones that have “chosen to purposely not have sex(definitely not that they’re scared to talk to girls or just disgusting rarely showering dorks)” and the righties said they were just worried about sex, pregnancy and if they lived in a hellscape state that allows abortion that they wouldn’t be able to tie the woman down and force her to birth.

I grew up in Maysville and Etown, KY and I had zero problem getting weed, alcohol, ecstasy, coke, acid, mushrooms, Xanax, Valium, cigs, meth, etc as a teenager WITHOUT the internet or cell phones.

How in the actual F**K does anyone think they’re going to remove drugs from society today with the internet, black market and bitcoin?

I can log in online right now and buy anything I could ever want from Dick pills, to statins, to depression meds, steroids, hair loss pills, any barbiturate or opiate, mushrooms, weed, alcohol, literally anything I want and it’s all WAY cheaper than from a pharmacy or dealer here and it’s delivered to my front door via our tax paid postal service.

So tell me how the govt is going to rid ourselves of that? Might as well legalize, tax the shit out of it and regulate quality, because it’s not going back.

Now I don’t advocate having heroin or coke being legal because we all know how that ends.

Rogue, I respectfully disagree with your point about people needing weed or booze to “get through the day”. I think they want to take drugs / alcohol and prefer to use that because they like it.

We’ve evolved as a species to handle hardship, death, pain, etc., without turning to drugs.

Reactions: roguemocha
Rogue, I respectfully disagree with your point about people needing weed or booze to “get through the day”. I think they want to take drugs / alcohol and prefer to use that because they like it.

We’ve evolved as a species to handle hardship, death, pain, etc., without turning to drugs.
Different poster, I never said anyone needs it.
Oregon decriminalized all drugs in small amounts including fentanyl back in 2020 and used their weed tax revenue for treatment programs.

In Multnomah County (Portland), fatal opioid-related overdoses saw a fivefold increase between 2018 and 2022, according to public health data.

Portland is inarguably a sad, drug infested progressive shithole.
Yeah so that’s a actually a good thing, no? Of course a bunch will overdose at the beginning and that should decrease overtime as those people were going to overdose anyway, just getting it all down real quick is all, better for the tax payer in the long run.

No but seriously, everyone knew Portland was going to shit as soon as they legalized it, they were already a shithole.

We could start by completely shutting down the border, using the military if necessary. One would think that the deaths of many thousands of Americans caused by foreigners would be more than enough to merit such a response. It was on 9/11, but for some reason this is treated differently.

We could also not enter into deals with China like the one that happened this week where we essentially agreed to become a green energy customer for decades to come in order to lower carbon emissions.

So to wit- China burns coal to create green energy products that we force ourselves to buy in the name of climate change while they poison our people. All while our energy prices (and everything associated with them) continue to skyrocket.

But no mean tweets.
China just puts a bullet into the brain of anyone caught selling drugs. Seems to be a very strong deterrent.

We’ve been hard at work on the “war on drugs” for as long as I’ve been alive.
We've also been hard at work on the "war on murder", "the war on assault", "the war on theft"

The murders, assaults, and thefts keep happening.

We've obviously lost the war and should let what happens happen. Sure these actions might lead to and increase at first, but will then lead to a settling out.

Defund the police and let the prosecutors stop prosecutin'(except for political enemies).

We've also been hard at work on the "war on murder", "the war on assault", "the war on theft"

The murders, assaults, and thefts keep happening.

We've obviously lost the war and should let what happens happen. Sure these actions might lead to and increase at first, but will then lead to a settling out.

Defund the police and let the prosecutors stop prosecutin'(except for political enemies).

Quite a strawman you've created here. Good work!

The war on drugs has ironically led to Pablo Escobar, al Capone, el chapo, the current Mexican cartel, and the current fentanyl crisis. It doesn’t work. Just follow what the Netherlands have been doing for decades.

The war on drugs has ironically led to Pablo Escobar, al Capone, el chapo, the current Mexican cartel, and the current fentanyl crisis. It doesn’t work. Just follow what the Netherlands have been doing for decades.

No disrespect, but comparing the Netherlands to the US in any capacity is ridiculous.

I'd argue we've basically made drugs as legal as possible short of Walmart being able to sell fentanyl. The deaths are increasing, the crime is getting worse, and the drug gangs are even more powerful.

Selling or possessing fentanyl should land you in prison for a long damn time. Selling, I'd argue, should be close to a death sentence. That drug is getting so many people killed and absolutely ruining lives. There's no "healthy" amount. If we made it more legal the deaths would increase further.

No disrespect, but comparing the Netherlands to the US in any capacity is ridiculous.

I'd argue we've basically made drugs as legal as possible short of Walmart being able to sell fentanyl. The deaths are increasing, the crime is getting worse, and the drug gangs are even more powerful.

Selling or possessing fentanyl should land you in prison for a long damn time. Selling, I'd argue, should be close to a death sentence. That drug is getting so many people killed and absolutely ruining lives. There's no "healthy" amount. If we made it more legal the deaths would increase further.

I’m not advocating for fentanyl. The fact that drug even exists is completely ridiculous in the first place. And weed still isn’t legal in 26 states. We sure as hell haven’t made drugs as legal as possible WTF does that even mean.

Reactions: WildcatfaninOhio
I’m not advocating for fentanyl. The fact that drug even exists is completely ridiculous in the first place. And weed still isn’t legal in 26 states. We sure as hell haven’t made drugs as legal as possible WTF does that even mean.

In many states, there is basically zero enforcement of drug laws. That is what I am referring to.

• Haha
Reactions: jameslee32
I’m not advocating for fentanyl. The fact that drug even exists is completely ridiculous in the first place.

It has a medical purpose for existing. Its just not something that should ever be in the hands of anyone other than a professional.

When i got put under for a colonoscopy last month they gave me the same stuff that Michael Jackson ODd on. Except they didn't give me a prescription or a bottle to take home. They gave me a shot because it was all that I needed.

Reactions: jameslee32
It has a medical purpose for existing. .

We’ll agree to disagree. In utopia, everyone should have the ability to be pain free. But when producing something has the ability to kill millions of healthy, while reducing pain more for late stage cancer patients, then I don’t think the reward was worth the risk. And frankly, that’s proven to be true.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT