ADVERTISEMENT

Cruise Deals - Travel Agency

wildcat1973

All-American
Dec 18, 2004
I'm looking to take my family on a cruise next year and would like some recommendations on a local travel agency to deal with. Looking for a 7 day deal for 5.

Thanks!

Some cruise lines will give you a bigger discount if you work with them directly. They basically give you the agent's commission in discount.

Yes a travel agency with deals. I don't want to do the work myself. Need someone in the know to do all of the groundwork and find the best deal. Got to be someone local who does this.

If you've never been on a cruise, it would probably be best to go local to get advice about who, what, and where. I have been on about 10 from the Mediterranean to Alaska to even a private cruise where we had our own private butler. With kids and without. We have done it different ways...cruise.com, cruise deals, last minute cruises, expedia, and straight through the cruiseline, but I did learn some things on the first two cruises that helped me plan for the others.

A few things off the top of my head is that a large cruise ship isn't always the best. They have the most fun things to do, but you have a lot more people to deal with when in line at the buffet to get something to eat and getting seats in the theatre to see a show. Another is don't take a short 4-5 night cruise. That is when the rednecks and riff raff take cruises because it's cheaper. One other thing is get a balcony. It's nice having breakfast or just enjoying an evening out on the balcony. It makes your cabin bigger with somewhere else to go without leaving your cabin. It will make cruising much more enjoyable.

Many people ask me what is the best cruise line. I really don't have a favorite. Like everything else, there are some good things and not so good things different people take into account. I have never been on a bad cruise, but some have been better than others. I do have some favorite ships, but they keep building them bigger and more fascinating every year. My most favorite cruise was the 12 night Mediterranean Cruise. I got see things I never thought I would.

Good post Chuck.

I too have been on mulitple........about 7-8 total. All in different parts of the Caribbean though. When my brothers and I reached our teenage yrs, we didn't want much for Xmas anymore.......so, our parents started taking us on cruises. Back then you could go on a 4-5 day Carnival cruise for $130-150/person......that includes rooms and meals. Now-a-days it's closer to $200-300/person. But that's still dirt cheap considering that a room at the local Courtyard by Marriott will run you $100/night.

If you have never cruised, be prepared to budget for lots of additional costs such as soda, alcoholic drinks, shore excursions, some on board activities, tips for wait staff and maids. These things can really add up. Only the higher end cruise lines (like Regent and SilverSea) are all inclusive.

IMO, best vacation value for the money. Wife and I have taken several.

We've used a travel agent (Sarah) at Triple -A (American Automobile Association) of the Bluegrass and have done the work ourselves. It cost a little more working with an agent but there are benefits such as the advantage of being put at the front of the line once when a snow storm changed my flight and caused me to have to take two different connectors. On our first one, there was a lady at the airport with a sign with our name on it waiting to guide us. Next time, we'll call Sarah.

Unlike Chuck, we prefer the middle of the ship interior cabins. Pitch black ...great for afternoon naps. Never missed not having a balcony. If you don't need liquor or cokes, there is plenty to drink ( we're coffee and tea drinkers). As for tips....before our first one, we thought the "suggested " tip was too much. By the time the week ended, we'd decided to add significantly more to the envelopes.

We've done Carnival, RC, and Princess. For my $, I could do Carnival any time. Our tastes may not be as refined as others, but it's hard to beat being treated like royalty.

I agree with Ram about the rooms. I'm hardly ever in them except to sleep/shower. There are plenty of deck chairs around the ship so there's no need for a balcony.

I think the balcony is a personality thing. If you are the type of person that needs somewhere to got hat is just your space then that would be great, if you're not then you probably don't need one.

Read up on Cruise Critic message board - they will give you all the firsthand information you need to know to figure out the best cruise details and deals that work for you.

Good post Chuck.

I too have been on mulitple........about 7-8 total. All in different parts of the Caribbean though. When my brothers and I reached our teenage yrs, we didn't want much for Xmas anymore.......so, our parents started taking us on cruises. Back then you could go on a 4-5 day Carnival cruise for $130-150/person......that includes rooms and meals. Now-a-days it's closer to $200-300/person. But that's still dirt cheap considering that a room at the local Courtyard by Marriott will run you $100/night.

Please let me know where you can find one for 200-300 per person. That 300 advertised rate quickly goes to 500-600 with taxes, fees, gratuities (which on carnival are standard/prepaid), etc. of course that's before booze, excursions, and all other optional activities if you so choose.

No idea why the touch you'd use a travel agent in 2015. We took our first cruise a couple years ago, and we spent maybe an hour browsing the web before we found the best deal for our budget.

Please let me know where you can find one for 200-300 per person. That 300 advertised rate quickly goes to 500-600 with taxes, fees, gratuities (which on carnival are standard/prepaid), etc. of course that's before booze, excursions, and all other optional activities if you so choose.

Well, of course. Everything is cheaper before taxes, etc.

When someone asks the price of something, what do you say? If it's a tie at Belk's, you announce the tag price. If it's a car, you say the window sticker price. And when you go to Expedia, the price they tell you is????

We just finished our 13th this spring. We have used Cruises Only for our first couple of cruises, before the popularity of the internet. The only advantage you might get dealing with a travel agent is an on board credit or a beverage package. One thing you should know is that after you book and you see a drop in fare, you can contact the cruise line an get a reduction in fare or an on board credit.

Our sweet spot is between $150 to $200 per person per day. This can go pretty far depending on when you can go and how far in advance you can book. Your problem is going to be the number of people. With 5 you'll be looking at a junior suite or better if not two cabins.

The extras to budget for is port taxes (it will be included in your fare when you book), on board purchases (soft drinks, specialty coffees, alcohol, pictures, specialty restaurants, etc.), gratuities (runs from $13 to $15 per person per day), travel to the port and back, pre-cruise accommodations (recommended). Another expense I would recommend is travel insurance (only for the medical evact).

The cheap time is the fall. In the Caribbean, it is the rainy and stormy time. I've cruised several times and have missed a port due to a tropical storm. The most expensive time is summer and Christmas. I done three Christmas cruises and love everything except for the double the fares. I personally go in the spring and would recommend that time of year.

When thinking of a cruise, you have to consider the travel to and from the port. A pre-cruise nights accommodation is cheap insurance to ensure that you make it to your debarkation port on time. This also gives you the opportunity to take less expensive flights since you aren't tied to a certain arrival time. Regardless, you must be at the ship 60 minutes prior to sailing if you pre-check in or 90 minutes if not.

As mentioned, I would spend some time on the Cruise Critic board and look at some reviews. With the size of your party, you will be limited to two cabins or a junior suite or better. Cruising is a great vacation, we hope you have great weather and a great time.

Reactions: Tebow81
ADVERTISEMENT