ADVERTISEMENT

Cooley-Georgetown buzz, Bryce Hopkins, etc...

MdWIldcat55

All-American
Dec 9, 2007
I talked to a friend of mine in DC who is a Georgetown booster and knows people inside the athletic department. He thinks the Ed Cooley to Georgetown thing will happen, probably soon after the tournament. But he expects the buzz to grow louder through the week, and wouldn't be surprised if it becomes a distraction for Providence. "They are putting together a financial package he'll find very hard to refuse," is the way he put it.

This guy also goes to all Georgetown's home games, and follows Big East basketball very closely. He said while Providence swamped G-Town, like everybody did, Hopkins was a non-factor with 6 points. He also mentioned watching on TV a blow-out loss for Providence to Seton Hall about ten days ago where Hopkins again didn't show up. I looked it up: Four points in that game. Hopkins seems to have tailed off overall in the past month or so.

Of course, Hopkins try his best to play like young Michael Jordan against Kentucky. And he may succeed. But it can be hard to turn it on after a spell of being off...My friend says Providence seems like a team out of sync right now, and predicted a Kentucky win.

Marquette is another story if both teams advance, according to my friend. He expects them to at least make the Elite Eight. But a lot can happen before then.

I thought the MS State game last night was very physical. If that's representative of how the tournament will be called Oscar will take a pounding.
Physical with very few fouls called, but not the grabbing, holding, hook and hold BS that Oscar has to deal with in the SEC.

Those officials did a pretty good job. Hope we get the same crew.

I don't see the thrill of the Georgetown job.They are dead in the water and he's really in a great situation where he's at right now.
Georgetown job is much more appealing. Patrick Ewing, Allen Iverson, Alonzo, Thompson era - lots of tradition and lore there. Plus, the Baltimore area is loaded with talent - great recruiting grounds for the Georgetown program. You also have a local NBA team in your city, which is always a good pull for local universities. I can't speak to all the finances and successful alumni, but I would assume Georgetown can put together some pretty enticing NIL deals for the basketball players

Georgetown job is much more appealing. Patrick Ewing, Allen Iverson, Alonzo, Thompson era - lots of tradition and lore there. Plus, the Baltimore area is loaded with talent - great recruiting grounds for the Georgetown program. You also have a local NBA team in your city, which is always a good pull for local universities. I can't speak to all the finances and successful alumni, but I would assume Georgetown can put together some pretty enticing NIL deals for the basketball players
I agree. If they were smart, they would find a way to get Iverson involved back in the program or collab on some NIL deals with their former great players. With the right coach, they have enough there to be competitive again.

Physical with very few fouls called, but not the grabbing, holding, hook and hold BS that Oscar has to deal with in the SEC.

Those officials did a pretty good job. Hope we get the same crew.
Agree. Lots of bumping on drives, rebounds and shots that they let go.

Reactions: cathouse
Frankly don't think we need to worry about Hopkins. We need to worry about their guards getting into the lane at will.

I believe Hopkins will try too hard and have fouls and even a charge. He's going to be juiced with adrenaline. He's a sophomore, not a seasoned senior. This stuff will not translate into a kid who suddenly puts up 20+ points and snags 10 rebounds.

Reactions: Smashcat
Just read an article where Hopkins was talking about what it was like playing for Cal. He said when he got on the floor it was like he was under a microscope. He said Cal just wanted him to do certain things instead of just being able to play. Said it was like being a robot. Could not just play freely and utilize all his skills. He said at Providence he has the freedom to just play as long as it is within the coaches system.

Frankly don't think we need to worry about Hopkins. We need to worry about their guards getting into the lane at will.

I believe Hopkins will try too hard and have fouls and even a charge. He's going to be juiced with adrenaline. He's a sophomore, not a seasoned senior. This stuff will not translate into a kid who suddenly puts up 20+ points and snags 10 rebounds.
He’s not talking that way but hope it happens.

Just read an article where Hopkins was talking about what it was like playing for Cal. He said when he got on the floor it was like he was under a microscope. He said Cal just wanted him to do certain things instead of just being able to play. Said it was like being a robot. Could not just play freely and utilize all his skills. He said at Providence he has the freedom to just play as long as it is within the coaches system.
Cal is a control freak.
Most fans think Cal is lazy and only rolls the ball out in practice. But the reality is, especially October through late January it is just the opposite with Cal. He micromanages every move of every player on the court and actually over coaches them to the point they ARE LIKE ROBOTS.

When the offense is in front of Cal (usually every second half) he literally calls every play, screams at players as to where he wants them to be, and usually runs some dumb play or set that ends up with the ball 30 feet from the basket in the hands of a non-shooter, or we get a shot clock violation.

THEN, Cal will come lecture the fans and say "they're not robots", so fans need to stop treating them like they are. SMH.

Cal, YOU are the one who treats them like robots. It's you Cal. It's YOU!!

I talked to a friend of mine in DC who is a Georgetown booster and knows people inside the athletic department. He thinks the Ed Cooley to Georgetown thing will happen, probably soon after the tournament. But he expects the buzz to grow louder through the week, and wouldn't be surprised if it becomes a distraction for Providence. "They are putting together a financial package he'll find very hard to refuse," is the way he put it.

This guy also goes to all Georgetown's home games, and follows Big East basketball very closely. He said while Providence swamped G-Town, like everybody did, Hopkins was a non-factor with 6 points. He also mentioned watching on TV a blow-out loss for Providence to Seton Hall about ten days ago where Hopkins again didn't show up. I looked it up: Four points in that game. Hopkins seems to have tailed off overall in the past month or so.

Of course, Hopkins try his best to play like young Michael Jordan against Kentucky. And he may succeed. But it can be hard to turn it on after a spell of being off...My friend says Providence seems like a team out of sync right now, and predicted a Kentucky win.

Marquette is another story if both teams advance, according to my friend. He expects them to at least make the Elite Eight. But a lot can happen before then.
It will be interesting to see how Hopkins performs tonight. If he's up to the hype or if all the attention will be too much for him. All eyes have been on him, which hopefully plays into our hands.

It will be interesting to see how Hopkins performs tonight. If he's up to the hype or if all the attention will be too much for him. All eyes have been on him, which hopefully plays into our hands.
I hope Cal and coaching staff looked at that Seton Hall vs. Providence game tape. Hopkins only scored 4 pts in 29 minutes in that loss. And only ended with 3 fouls, so the Hall must have done something to shut him down (one of the rare times this year, in fact).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT