ADVERTISEMENT

Conversation I had with SI writer on twitter (not sure if hilarious or sad)

AndyPopCat

Junior
Gold Member
Sep 24, 2002
Bluegrass, USA
twitter.com
Whether I'm right or wrong, don't really care. I will defend Kentucky football as I see fit. But found it strange that this SI writer would spend so much time arguing with me on twitter. Heck...I had fun...just can't believe he spent that much energy on a poor ole UK football fan. Wish he would have spent that much time coming up with some original thoughts regarding UK football in his article. The article was about each school's football brand and he choose to make his comments about UK about basketball. I'm sorry that wasn't necessary. Oh well...got to kill some time regardless. Gets boring sitting/laying in my room day and night.

I don't think he said anything wrong. Stoops is doing his best, and the football program will always -unfortunately! - play second fiddle to the basketball program. I expected his post to be worse.

I don't think he said anything wrong. Stoops is doing his best, and the football program will always -unfortunately! - play second fiddle to the basketball program. I expected his post to be worse.

If a sport that makes more money, is more popular and more important plays "second fiddle" to any other sport, you better get ready to watch your university go down the drain.

I disagree with you. Football is growing greater by the day...college basketball is growing worse..Kentucky's football fans are as passionate as any team in the nation when we have a decent product. At the end of the Tubby era I saw football become more popular than basketball at UK. After Calipari leaves I see no reason why it wouldn't be the same with a football program that's taking some big strides and a basketball program that's going to struggle mightily to replicate anything even remotely similar to what Calipari did here.

Any athletics director in the nation that doesn't have football as his number one priority (by a long shot) is going to be looking for a new job fairly soon.

Placing basketball higher on your priority list than football at ANY school is a recipe for complete and utter disaster.

Kentucky is a football state. Always has been, always will be. Sorry if that hurts. There's a reason Kentucky is in the top-25 in attendance virtually every single year with a mediocre-to-bad football product to cheer for.

Kentucky football won't "always" play second-fiddle to basketball..and if you're glad or hoping that it does play "second fiddle", then you better get ready for an athletics department and university that's headed for a lot of trouble.

The only place that Kentucky football plays "second fiddle" to Kentucky basketball is when it comes to tradition & winning (and in the mind of our athletics director). I venture to say that 90% (or more) of Kentuckians would rather have a dominant football program than a dominant bball team full of one-and-dones. College football is a sport that captures that nation's attention for 8+ months out of the year. College basketball is a sport that captures the nation's attention for a few weeks during March. College football is a sport that's a multi-billion dollar business that pays the salary of your University's professors and women's basketball coaches. College basketball is a sport that struggles to break even at most schools and barely makes even a portion of what football does even at Kentucky. College football is a sport where every single game matters and people spend their entire week building up to the game on Saturday. College basketball is a sport where you play dozens of games of little-to-no consequence, in front of fans that many times are only there because there is nothing better to do on a Monday night in January. College football is a spectacle with thousands of fans that love the game so much that they sit outside the stadium for hours (and sometimes days) on end before the game even starts. College basketball is a sport where you flip on the TV on a Tuesday night to watch Kentucky play Auburn (in what feels like the 50th regular season game) because it's dark outside and there's not a whole lot else going on until football starts back up. College football is a sport where Kentucky plays in a conference full of pageantry and tradition with fans that live and die with every game. College basketball is a sport where Kentucky is the only school that thinks about the sport outside of the winter months, and where there is little-to-no tradition with any of the schools that they play. College football is a sport where fans across the nation watch the best players compete in big-time games and rivalries for three or four years. College basketball is a sport where fans have to spend a couple of months learning the the best players' names (which are a new crop of inexperienced freshmen every year) for a total of 4 months, and then watch them go to the NBA.

Last edited:
I guess I'm splitting hairs...idk, but what kind of answer is this? How does this come remotely close to answering the question what UK's football brand should be? Why not say a 6-8 win team on a yearly basis with top 25 fan support...that's a more appropriate answer than this garbage which is totally irrelevant to articles subject.

What it (brand) should be: Stoops is doing the best he can at a program that will always finish second to the basketball team on its campus.

I'm used to hearing about how our football program will always be second fiddle to the basketball program, so that didn't upset me too much. It is an unnecessary shot at our program either way, though. Even Vandy's "what it should be" was arguably more positive than UK's, stating that Vandy "might be able to win again" under Mason and recalling James Franklin's recent success for the Commodores. It's definitely interesting that Vandy's "what it should be" is slightly more upbeat than ours even when they're historically worse than we are.

At the end of the day, people who aren't connected to the program are almost always going to have these negative "no hope" type things to say about our program because of how historically poor it is. This will likely continue until we see some on the field results to substantiate the development of our program. Until then, I think it's best to try and avoid getting too worked up over remarks like this because there's very little that we fans can do to change these types of perceptions.

Hope you're doing well, Andy. Very much appreciate the articles and discussion that you bring to the board.

I love both programs, season ticket holder to UK football, but I think he's right. Basketball has always been king here no matter the popularity of the sport of football. While football makes more money, the money that does drive college athletics will always be booster money. I think the big money boosters' hearts lie with basketball.

The best thing to happen to UK football was the SEC Network. Mitch realized how much money there was to make with that TV deal so he got serious, hired an up an comer, and started putting real work into the facilities. The one thing I will disagree with the writer is the idea that Stoops will bolt. I think if Stoops can make real change here, get UK winning 7-8 games a year, good bowls, and really do what many people think are impossible and compete in the SEC East, UK has enough money to keep him as the head coach. You never say never, bc maybe a Bama comes calling or the NFL but I don't think he's going to Iowa.

I've done some advocating for UK football with national/regional CFB guys on twitter. just come to the conclusion we've got to start winning games that noone thinks we will, have winning seasons when noone expects them, get talent noone thinks will come to Lexington when they have 'better' choices. The team on the field can & will do more to change opinions and mentalities than anything us fans can say IMO.

Not saying if he's right or wrong. But wrong place, wrong time. Once again, the article was about the "brand" of each school's football program. It was not about each school's athletics dept brand. I find it odd that many can't distinguish the difference.

If someone wants to make that comment, so be it. But save it for the appropriate platform. That space in this article was to tell what our "brand should be". Explain to me how that comment went anyways towards fulfilling that? There is no explanation. Plain and simple the author was out of touch with his own objective. Why not say something to the effect our brand should be to expect a bowl every other year with top 25 fan support. Would have made much more sense. If someone doesn't understand this simple logic and reasoning, then.....hmmmm.

Reactions: SlykkteeHMail
I've done some advocating for UK football with national/regional CFB guys on twitter. just come to the conclusion we've got to start winning games that noone thinks we will, have winning seasons when noone expects them, get talent noone thinks will come to Lexington when they have 'better' choices. The team on the field can & will do more to change opinions and mentalities than anything us fans can say IMO.

Your absolutely right. But it sure is fun watching them "waste" an hour of their lives on a poor ole UK fan. bwahaha

it was lazy...and all too common with national writers...when UK football was in the 4 season bowl streak w/Brooks, and UK basketball had Gillespie leading the charge - football took over...70k for games and basketball had the NIT appearance at Memorial...wins will bring the change, until then these guys will talk like that.

Reactions: Chuckinden
I have long said that the brand or identity is important for the football program, not discussing whether its a football or basketball program but what is our football team. I mean UK has not really had a football identity and by that I mean are we a running team, an air raid team, a chunk and dunk style, are we better offensive or defensive type team. Are we known for one style? I think we need to have one which helps with recruiting, brand building, stability. Outside things like changing up the uniforms etc UK is usually behind and when you are in the SEC you gotta be ahead of the curve. Stability at the coaching positions is also important and helps.

If a sport that makes more money, is more popular and more important plays "second fiddle" to any other sport, you better get ready to watch your university go down the drain.

I disagree with you. Football is growing greater by the day...college basketball is growing worse..Kentucky's football fans are as passionate as any team in the nation when we have a decent product. At the end of the Tubby era I saw football become more popular than basketball at UK. After Calipari leaves I see no reason why it wouldn't be the same with a football program that's taking some big strides and a basketball program that's going to struggle mightily to replicate anything even remotely similar to what Calipari did here.

Any athletics director in the nation that doesn't have football as his number one priority (by a long shot) is going to be looking for a new job fairly soon.

Placing basketball higher on your priority list than football at ANY school is a recipe for complete and utter disaster.

Kentucky is a football state. Always has been, always will be. Sorry if that hurts. There's a reason Kentucky is in the top-25 in attendance virtually every single year with a mediocre-to-bad football product to cheer for.

Kentucky football won't "always" play second-fiddle to basketball..and if you're glad or hoping that it does play "second fiddle", then you better get ready for an athletics department and university that's headed for a lot of trouble.

The only place that Kentucky football plays "second fiddle" to Kentucky basketball is when it comes to tradition & winning (and in the mind of our athletics director). I venture to say that 90% (or more) of Kentuckians would rather have a dominant football program than a dominant bball team full of one-and-dones. College football is a sport that captures that nation's attention for 8+ months out of the year. College basketball is a sport that captures the nation's attention for a few weeks during March. College football is a sport that's a multi-billion dollar business that pays the salary of your University's professors and women's basketball coaches. College basketball is a sport that struggles to break even at most schools and barely makes even a portion of what football does even at Kentucky. College football is a sport where every single game matters and people spend their entire week building up to the game on Saturday. College basketball is a sport where you play dozens of games of little-to-no consequence, in front of fans that many times are only there because there is nothing better to do on a Monday night in January. College football is a spectacle with thousands of fans that love the game so much that they sit outside the stadium for hours (and sometimes days) on end before the game even starts. College basketball is a sport where you flip on the TV on a Tuesday night to watch Kentucky play Auburn (in what feels like the 50th regular season game) because it's dark outside and there's not a whole lot else going on until football starts back up. College football is a sport where Kentucky plays in a conference full of pageantry and tradition with fans that live and die with every game. College basketball is a sport where Kentucky is the only school that thinks about the sport outside of the winter months, and where there is little-to-no tradition with any of the schools that they play. College football is a sport where fans across the nation watch the best players compete in big-time games and rivalries for three or four years. College basketball is a sport where fans have to spend a couple of months learning the the best players' names (which are a new crop of inexperienced freshmen every year) for a total of 4 months, and then watch them go to the NBA.

This is quite a bit over the top. Under no circumstance will MB be looking for a job anytime soon because of the emphasis placed on basketball. I mean he was recently named AD of the year for it. Kentucky is a basketball first state. It just is. All you have to do is look at which message board on rivals is most active. There are of course other means of judging which is most popular but all of them show basketball wins this argument and it's not even competitive.

Schools that place basketball first are hardly heading toward disaster. Kentucky, Kansas and Duke are doing just fine. Those schools do just fine with revenues and merchandising. UK is one few ADs that make money. Most of the basketball powers do as well. Several football powers also make money but several others lose money. Georgia and Florida State lose money. UL is one of the biggest money losers in the country.

Emphasis on basketball hardly constitutes a recipe for disaster. If you continue to fight this football over basketball fight you will continue to be disappointed. I don't see that happening ever. Face it UK basketball has earned it's spot. UK Football has not to this point.

And keep in mind the basket ball powers may not earn the total revenues that the football powers do but they do a pretty good job considering the built in disadvantages they have. Unlike football powers the basketball powers tend to have very small gyms and don't have the newer revenue generating features like luxury suites. Duke plays in gym that basically a glorified high school gym. Kentucky not only doesn't have ribbon boards or luxury suites but we don't even own the arena. What would UK's balance sheet look like if we owned our own arena 30k+ with luxury suites and amenities like you see in the Yum center. We would easily double profits if not triple them.

Reactions: SDcatfan13
Another thread griping about football vs basketball. Give it a break man. And jnew once again reminding football pays the bills with free money they haven't earned. We hear you guy.

AndyPop and jnew are the definition of having little man syndrome. Can't we all hurt get along and quit trying to put the football program and basketball program against one another.

Last edited:
Reactions: SDcatfan13
I responded with following:

"Was that a shot at the UK football program or just lazy journalism? You may be right that the football program will always be second to the basketball team. However, they can easily be second to the number one basketball program in the country and still be a very respectable and competitive football team. You did not answer your own question. I will. UK's brand should include a fast paced "Air Raid" offense coupled with a traditional 3-4 disciplined defense. With a little research, you could write a much more accurate and complete article. "

Sort of a stupid comment since the football team doesn't compete against the basketball team. Absent is the fact that BBN has an enormous presence on Tritter and other social media that rivals any program in the country, and registered a top 5 attendance number for it's first Spring game under Stoops.

Also he states regarding recruiting in Ohio: ". . . . .it could allow Kentucky to bolster its talent with players who would’ve signed with other Big Ten schools" (future tense) had he bothered to look at our recruiting the last few years he would have seen that this has already happened.

I can't stand UK football fans vs UK basketball fans.

Literally drives me crazy.

Another thread griping about football vs basketball. Give it a break man. And jnew once again reminding football pays the bills with free money they haven't earned. We hear you guy.

AndyPop and jnew are the definition of having little man syndrome. Can't we all hurt get along and quit trying to put the football program and basketball program against one another.

I've never once pitted Bball vs Fball. Only point out the discrepancies in coverage to advocate for more respect for football. I LOVE them both. Your comprehension is lacking. You have no idea of which you speak. My point is simple...why can't we discuss the football program on its own merits? Why must it constantly be judged vs our great bball tradition?

Last edited:
This is the problem its not about basketball v football and the recap on SI doesn't mention anything about the play of the football team where as Georgia for example says what type of offense they run, they usually are deep at running back, have used a 3-4 style defense last 5 years. This statement is really important "Razorbacks coach Bret Bielema has imported the same jumbo, physical style of offense he favored at Wisconsin, and this has quickly become the program’s calling card."

Reactions: AndyPopCat
That seems like a pretty dumb article all around. Seems like a very strange definition of "brand" being used. Still, he wrote a novel about Florida and yet he gives us a blip that really doesn't even have any answers in it.

I responded with following:

"Was that a shot at the UK football program or just lazy journalism? You may be right that the football program will always be second to the basketball team. However, they can easily be second to the number one basketball program in the country and still be a very respectable and competitive football team. You did not answer your own question. I will. UK's brand should include a fast paced "Air Raid" offense coupled with a traditional 3-4 disciplined defense. With a little research, you could write a much more accurate and complete article. "

I don't tweet, so I really don't know what is going on, but I like this post.....and I have no idea what else was said. It stands alone as a good quote.

Keep fightin' Andy. This is not the first nor the last time that a media person has hidden behind the anonymity of a keyboard.

I agree 100%. Love them both. But why can't we separate the two when discussing the football program. This shouldn't be a competition between the two programs and so many people try to make it so.

Exactly. It doesn't have to be a competition. Both programs HELP each other. It's really that simple. Both teams hang out with each other, root for each other, etc.

That seems like a pretty dumb article all around. Seems like a very strange definition of "brand" being used. Still, he wrote a novel about Florida and yet he gives us a blip that really doesn't even have any answers in it.
Offseason creates lots of dumb articles, rankings, lists, imagined hypothetical matchups, realignment dreams, etc.

cant wait until everyone is playing the damn games and all the journalist opinionators can then talk about performances that actually happened on the field.

BTW here was 1 offseason cfb opinion piece where it was mentioned that UK & Stoops are doing great things, so it isnt all bad out there.

UK football has had little going for it since I've been alive. How long is UK going to continue to get beat by Florida and have a losing SEC record?

UK football has had little going for it since I've been alive. How long is UK going to continue to get beat by Florida and have a losing SEC record?

Point of this post?

The OP is about a national writer saying that our Football brand basically doesn't matter because it is automatically second fiddle to UK basketball...that is the beef. The writer brought UK bball into this, not us on the board...UK football can have a brand w/out mentioning hoops...and they both can be successful in their brands.

UK football will never be able to tout history like KY basketball, and that is fine. UK basketball can't use the "we are building a program" approach in their brand...also fine.

Point of this post?

The OP is about a national writer saying that our Football brand basically doesn't matter because it is automatically second fiddle to UK basketball...that is the beef. The writer brought UK bball into this, not us on the board...UK football can have a brand w/out mentioning hoops...and they both can be successful in their brands.

UK football will never be able to tout history like KY basketball, and that is fine. UK basketball can't use the "we are building a program" approach in their brand...also fine.

Very succinct and accurate. Thank you.

Offseason creates lots of dumb articles, rankings, lists, imagined hypothetical matchups, realignment dreams, etc.

cant wait until everyone is playing the damn games and all the journalist opinionators can then talk about performances that actually happened on the field.

BTW here was 1 offseason cfb opinion piece where it was mentioned that UK & Stoops are doing great things, so it isnt all bad out there.

Thanks for embedding. I listen to those guys podcasts and they've consistently praised the work Stoops is doing.

This is the problem its not about basketball v football and the recap on SI doesn't mention anything about the play of the football team where as Georgia for example says what type of offense they run, they usually are deep at running back, have used a 3-4 style defense last 5 years. This statement is really important "Razorbacks coach Bret Bielema has imported the same jumbo, physical style of offense he favored at Wisconsin, and this has quickly become the program’s calling card."

Part of that is what has already been touched on. UK football doesn't have an identity yet. Stoops is in year 3 and there is no recipe for UK, no calling card...yet. It's no knock on Stoops bc we spent the better part of 3 years with no identity, just kind of floating in limbo known only as a bad program. Already on our 2nd offensive coordinator, the coaches just haven't had the parts to have a brand of football. Think about it, the air raid sirens returned but you have an offensive attack of mixed bag parts from the Wildcat to the traditional running in between the tackles. There hasn't been a lot of consistency on either side of the ball. I think that's why year 3 is so important. Win games with your guys and your style that you want to implement here and get a brand of football people can identify. That's what we had with Brooks. It's what we lost with Joker and what Stoops is searching for.

Point of this post?

My point is that UK football has little to no brand at this point, at least not yet. By the time Stoops is in his 5th or 6th year things might be different.

My point is that UK football has little to no brand at this point, at least not yet. By the time Stoops is in his 5th or 6th year things might be different.

But the article was two parts: What is each teams brand? What each teams brand should be? Instead of answering the second question the way he did for all other teams, he made the snide remarks. The comments should have been based on what our football program should hope to be moving foreward. That's what he did for other programs...but not us...just the cheap shot.

Andy Staples is one of the best. He's just calling a spade a spade.

He may be a good writer but he missed it on this one. If he wants to elude to our lack of a "brand" in the past, that's fair game but to imply that Stoops is incapable of developing a brand by inserting an off topic BB reference is absolutely bush league.

He may be a good writer but he missed it on this one. If he wants to elude to our lack of a "brand" in the past, that's fair game but to imply that Stoops is incapable of developing a brand by inserting an off topic BB reference is absolutely bush league.

Like it or not, if you consume national CFB coverage, whether it's the major podcasts, message boards, or even shows like Finebaum, the long and the sort of what people say about our football program is still basically "Calipari. Calipari. Kentucky's fielding a football team now? Good luck with that. Calipari. One and Done. Calipari."

Sustained winning is the only thing that will change that. If you compare what he said about Stoops to what he said about other similarity situated schools like Indiana and Kansas (who have had about as much success as us recently), he was being somewhat kind about our potential.

Spot on. I'm beginning to realize some here may not be capable of understanding indisputable logic & reasoning. Either that or they are being intentionally obtuse. Which is just as bad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT