ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats to the Cards: Landing Holiday Bowl Game After Christmas!

Of course no one wanted them.

Can you imagine the conversations?

Bowl Rep: You want us to take Kentucky's little brother? Can't you just give Virginia Bowl Eligibility?

ACC Rep: Look man, we called Virginia. They want a better bowl if they're going to play again. Louisville is the best you can get.

Bowl Rep: Uh. Maybe we'll just cancel the bowl.

San Diego >> Jacksonville.
No doubt. If you’re planning on making a fun trip out of it, San Diego much better. However, St Simons for me as I live in ATL. (If I go)

I thought UL would at least get another league’s runner up. Iowa seemed the perfect match. Getting USC is not a flattering pick. Sixth best team in the PAC 12 and not even ranked. Wow.

Can never go by mutual opponents but notre dame wiped the field with them the week after the UofL game. Dropped 5 of last 6 games although mostly against ranked teams.
So they had a season kinda like ours?

You guys have been on Twitter harping about “enjoy watching us in the Orange Bowl.”

And now you’re gonna tell me the Holiday Bowl has been around for a while and is a good landing spot.

C’mon man.
He did preface by saying since FSU dropped and got the orange bowl that it was a nice landing spot. Not that landing there was better than the orange. Louisville has a lot of douche fans (as do we and all other teams) but he doesn’t seem to be one of them.

Oh the irony that the Kentucky Wildcats are the football team playing in a Florida bowl game after the 2023 season while UL is shipped thousands of miles west

Think you'd believed that the night we lost to South Carolina?
All predictions I had seen leading up to the final CFP poll had Ole Miss in the Citrus Bowl. FSU not making the Top 4 caused a ripple affect on a lot of bowl predictions. Since Ole Miss made it into the NY6 that moved the rest of the SEC teams up in bowls.

As far as Louisville going out west I am cool with it as the Directv Holiday Bowl had first pick this year. It’s a bowl we have never played in vs a team we have never played.

Yes, after Christmas and on a Wednesday, no less!!

I can only imagine the thrill amongst the San Diego U of L Alumni Association with this pick.

I had heard a rumor of the Orange Bowl a couple of weeks, ago . . . .
I told ya, the Tards were just dreaming of going to the Orange Bowl. Their hopes and aspirations of a Ranked opponent in a Bowl game was their dream and it got smashed big time. Their soft cupcake schedule is what cost them and also the fact that FSU is stuck with a 3rd String QB, who beat U of L and the Committee doesn't think they would stand a chance against one of the Top 4 teams to make the Playoffs. So pit them against a team who deserved a shot in the Top 4, Georgia which will give FSU an arse whoopin they wish would never happen to an undefeated Team in that Power House ACC...

Reactions: westerncat
San Diego is one of the nicest places you could ever visit. Moderate temps, light jacket at night, beautiful scenery all around. Been there on business trips 3 times, Coronado Island and the Hotel Del Coronado are world famous. One of my top 3 places I’ve ever been to. Hawaii first of course, followed by a 15 day drunk fest thru Ireland lol. It sure beats Birmingham in late December.
If you dont mind the homeless and rampant crime, sure

Their soft cupcake schedule is what cost them and also the fact that FSU is stuck with a 3rd String QB,
Uhhhh, their soft schedule had them securely in NYD6 position, ranked 9th, until a game the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

Think of the full chain of events set off by Kentucky defeating U of L. Ole Miss was ranked 12th, three slots behind Louisville, and looking like they’d need to get to 10th to make a NYD6 Bowl, which would have slotted UK to the Mayo Bowl.

UK defeated U of L, dropping the Cards to 14th, whilst elevating Ole Miss to 11th, but still needing to move up one more slot because with FSU ranked 4th, the Cards would eat the 11th slot in the NYD6 filling for playoff bound FSU in the Orange Bowl. But FSU struggled with a Card team, fell to 5th, fell out of the playoffs to the Orange, knocking U of L from the NYD6, allowing 11th ranked Ole Miss a NYD6 slot, boosting all SEC bowl eligible teams up one step, with UK to the Gator, saving Stoops a Mayo bath, and sending the Cards to San Diego.

The dominoes fell in our favor!!!

Haha, fun livability or tourist debate.

Fact is more football players who could pick UK are nearer to Jacksonville than Southern California. so for the future of our program I'm glad we are there and bot on the left coast.

Ian was there for 8 weeks. Felt like I was on an episode of true crime, hotel(the sofia) was locked down 3 times, all shootings.

Ian was there for 8 weeks. Felt like I was on an episode of true crime, hotel(the sofia) was locked down 3 times, all shootings.
That’s nicely anecdotal about one person, but I think I’ll go with the national statistics.

I mean, Atlanta has way worse crime rates than San Diego and I’ve lived in midtown for 22 years and don’t know of any person that has been a victim of a crime here.

I mean, Atlanta has way worse crime rates than San Diego and I’ve lived in midtown for 22 years and don’t know of any person that has been a victim of a crime here.
giphy.gif

USC QB opts out. 2,big games in a row where U6 doesn’t have to play the starting QB.

Then maybe Cats can steal one from Clemson in Jacksonville.

And with so little crime in San Diego, maybe Louisville won’t be robbed, as their fans think they were against all opponents who beat them.
If one person gets robbed, or trips on a crack, they certainly claim it was a government conspiracy against their athletic program organized by infiltrators and the governor.

If one person gets robbed, or trips on a crack, they certainly claim it was a government conspiracy against their athletic program organized by infiltrators and the governor.
UK will take them down, AGAIN.

The whole fiasco we forced upon them, making their President, AD and Coaches look criminal and incompetent was brilliantly carried out by our Special Ops.

“UK: WE ARE THE DEEP STATE UNIVERSITY!”

Next year’s billboard on I-65: “UK, we are miles deeper!”

Reactions: warrior-cat
If you dont mind the homeless and rampant crime, sure
I was in San Diego for two weeks while serving in the Army. Went their for Marine Corps Naval Amphibious Training in March and man let me tell you that Pacific Ocean water is about 55 degrees that time of year and cold as heck.
Anyway while there went to town from Base and man did I see the attractions, a Hooker on about every street corner, people having sex right out in public and in alley's. People shooting up drugs setting down on the sidewalks as you walked by.
Actually went to the movies while there and that was a whole other adventure in itself. You could barely see the movie screen due to all the Pot and cigarette smoke. People actually having oral sex in the seats.
So yep, it's the kinda place you really should think about taking your family there to see the sites and stay in town for the game.

Not a bad landing spot actually since FSU didn’t make the Top 4 and got the Orange Bowl. The payout is $6.5 Million and the Bowl has been around since 1978 so it not a new bowl. Plus we will be playing a team we haven’t played before so that is a plus.
How is it going to feel when Nick Saban light loses 3 in a row to end year? But you can hang a banner that you won 10 games in the weakest P5 Conference.

Seriously, I think we both did well by opponents . . . known football programs that are not going to be overwhelming favorites.

The average temperature for San Diego and Jacksonville is like within 1
Degree. . . daytime high’s from 64-77 degrees.

I’m not sure I would make a San Diego Bowl trip for a Wednesday date.
I think I read that Clemson actually wanted this bid, wanted to play So Cal in a bowl game.

USC QB opts out. 2,big games in a row where U6 doesn’t have to play the starting QB.
Well if memory serves me right. In two of the previous games when UK played U6. Didn't U6 ( U of L ) play a 2nd or even a 3rd string QB and got the upset win over the Cats. One of the QB's was an actual UK fan who didn't get a Scholarship to UK and went to U6 as a Walk-On. I could be wrong, but I believe that is how it went with these two games in like the past 12 years or so.

M
Ok genius when’s the last time you visited any major city in the U.S. and didn’t see homeless people? And when was your last trip to San Diego or do you just sit in your trailer watching Fox News all day?
Man, you are truly an elitist douchebag but I’ll give you credit for being consistent.

Reactions: Dallas-Wild
Well if memory serves me right. In two of the previous games when UK played U6. Didn't U6 ( U of L ) play a 2nd or even a 3rd string QB and got the upset win over the Cats. One of the QB's was an actual UK fan who didn't get a Scholarship to UK and went to U6 as a Walk-On. I could be wrong, but I believe that is how it went with these two games in like the past 12 years or so.
I recall UK losing when the starter went out and the backup took over but I’m not sure they were upset losses.

U6 has been incredibly lucky this year. Didn’t have to play UNC or Clemson. And only had to face FSU in the championship game where they were on their 3rd string QB.

Oh yeah, 38-31 and 5 in a row.

Reactions: Dallas-Wild
I recall UK losing when the starter went out and the backup took over but I’m not sure they were upset losses.

U6 has been incredibly lucky this year. Didn’t have to play UNC or Clemson. And only had to face FSU in the championship game where they were on their 3rd string QB.

Oh yeah, 38-31 and 5 in a row.
You are correct as I would not call those upsets either. First game was 2011 Will Stein started the game for Louisville but then got replaced by Teddy Bridgewater.

In 2014 Reggie Bonnafon Started the game and was replaced by Kyle Bolin and UK was on a 5 game losing streak.

You are correct as I would not call those upsets either. First game was 2011 Will Stein started the game for Louisville but then got replaced by Teddy Bridgewater.

In 2014 Reggie Bonnafon Started the game and was replaced by Kyle Bolin and UK was on a 5 game losing streak.
I think Jackson came in 2015 to spark that victory.

Reactions: The-Hack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT