ADVERTISEMENT

Conflicted

Some of y'all should be ashamed. Acting like a bunch of dramatic teenage emo betas. Don't like Cal, fine. I want him fired to.

But sitting there writing in your journals that he doesn't even care if he loses in the tournament? Just inventing reasons to wallow in even more self pity?

8dea54e2-60e4-40cc-9137-50c262462c90_text.gif

Some of y'all should be ashamed. Acting like a bunch of dramatic teenage emo betas. Don't like Cal, fine. I want him fired to.

But sitting there writing in your journals that he doesn't even care if he loses in the tournament? Just inventing reasons to wallow in even more self pity?

8dea54e2-60e4-40cc-9137-50c262462c90_text.gif
But that's the thing, he literally doesn't care...Don't believe me? That's fine. Here's what the last guy Mr. NBA had drafted in the Top 5, said on the matter:

Incompetent might be the right word.

His historical levels of arrogance cause him to double down on failing strategy, because there’s no way in his mind that his “gut” isn’t more accurate than the opinions of all of those hayseed bennies.

So yeah, no longer being able to critically analyze the situation in front of you due to chronic narcissism would qualify as incompetence, I think.

But that's the thing, he literally doesn't care...Don't believe me? That's fine. Here's what the last guy Mr. NBA had drafted in the Top 5, said on the matter:

Man! Imagine what his win percentage would be if he actually cared about winning instead of it being a sad 76.7%….I mean, he would probably be above 90….

Part of me believes JVC is incompetent.

Part of me believes that losing in the tournament means nothing to him because June is all he cares about. He actually prefers losing early so he doesn't have to worry about players getting injured.

Either way, I hope his meeting today is so uncomfortable he leaves.
Exactly my words when Cal was interviewed after the game.

It was obvious he did not care that the team lost the game.

He got on a plane and flew to his beach house in NJ.

He sounded relieved that he didn't have to worry about coaching and preparing for any more games, and he could relax until draft night.

Man! Imagine what his win percentage would be if he actually cared about winning instead of it being a sad 76.7%….I mean, he would probably be above 90….
What's his winning percentage the last 4 years? Additionally, if you had a wife who was sensational for the first 11 years of your marriage, but in the last 4 years neglected literally every one of her wifely duties, what would you think of her? The past, in a vacuum looks great. But when incompetency blends with the present and it becomes a pattern, the wise man looks into that and understands it for what it is.

What's his winning percentage the last 4 years? Additionally, if you had a wife who was sensational for the first 11 years of your marriage, but in the last 4 years neglected literally every one of her wifely duties, what would you think of her? The past, in a vacuum looks great. But when incompetency blends with the present and it becomes a pattern, the wise man looks into that and understands it for what it is.
I’m not saying that I agree with many of his decisions, am happy of recent performance, etc., but to say the man doesn’t care about winning is laughable.

You can watch him on the sideline and tell by his actions that he cares about winning. He’s competitive just like most people who play sports or coach at a high level.

Reactions: FiveStarCat
When was the last time that the number increased after a season?
My point is that Cal cares about winning. The people that say that are the ones who are still living in the past and hate the one and done model. They want a team full of juniors and seniors and use the “Cal doesn’t care about winning” to fuel their hatred of the current model.

I’m not happy with recent performance. I’m not going to blame it on him not caring about winning. You don’t recruit the best players out there if you don’t care about winning. You don’t jump around like a fool on the sideline if you don’t care about winning.

I’m not saying that I agree with many of his decisions, am happy of recent performance, etc., but to say the man doesn’t care about winning is laughable.

You can watch him on the sideline and tell by his actions that he cares about winning. He’s competitive just like most people who play sports or coach at a high level.
The OP didn't say Cal didn't care about winning. And neither did I.

We said it didn't bother Cal that he lost that game.

Cal has let the whole world know he doesn't want to play any games in the SEC tournament. It now appears Cal is also purposely bowing out of the NCAA so he can get back to jet setting with the stars and the players can start preparing for the NBA draft.

And if you don't prepare your team for a first round opponent, isn't that purposely bowing out and obviously you don't care about losing a game?

The OP didn't say Cal didn't care about winning. And neither did I.

We said it didn't bother Cal that he lost that game.

Cal has let the whole world know he doesn't want to play any games in the SEC tournament. It now appears Cal is also purposely bowing out of the NCAA so he can get back to jet setting with the stars and the players can start preparing for the NBA draft.

And if you don't prepare your team for a first round opponent, isn't that purposely bowing out and obviously you don't care about losing a game?
Did I quote your post? Did I quote the OP?

cal is on record as saying he doesn’t care about the sec tourny. that doesn’t sound like a coach who cares about winning.
by now everybody should know what he cares about most and it ain’t what’s emblazoned across the front of our basketball player’s jerseys.

Part of me believes that losing in the tournament means nothing to him because June is all he cares about. He actually prefers losing early so he doesn't have to worry about players getting injured.

Him saying yesterday that he started Edwards and Wagner all year so he doesn’t lose them and hurt their feelings essentially was all I needed to hear. He will do whatever it takes to make these McDonald’s guys look good, even if the teams success has to take a hit

Last edited:
Yeah it’s not like the 100 or so or whatever the damn number is nba players carried him his whole career or nothing. Assistant coaches say Kentucky is the easiest team to scout in basketball because they run the same stuff everytime. Cal has won at Kentucky because the talent has carried him, not because of his coaching

My point is that Cal cares about winning. The people that say that are the ones who are still living in the past and hate the one and done model. They want a team full of juniors and seniors and use the “Cal doesn’t care about winning” to fuel their hatred of the current model.

I’m not happy with recent performance. I’m not going to blame it on him not caring about winning. You don’t recruit the best players out there if you don’t care about winning. You don’t jump around like a fool on the sideline if you don’t care about winning.
So here we go.

Cal winning percentage at UK is .769.

24 .697
23 .647
22 .765
21 .36
20 .806. So that was the last year he improved on his current record. However, he was at .81 percent that year, so even 20 was below standards

2019 was .811 so that is the last year he at least maintained where he was.

As bad as I don't like him, I don't think he's incompetent. His top priority is not the UK program and winning college basketball games...and that's even worse.

But if you remember that, the odd decisions, strange occurrences around injuries, the lack of preparing for opponents, etc. all make a lot more sense.

The question i have is do you think he cares more about winning than he does about being right or playing his guys and when did that change?

I think he wants to win but only wants to win his way and with his approach and that seems to be why his winning percentage has dipped in the end of his career.

If he valued winning over all else do you really think he would’ve started Mitchell, Theiro and Wagner against a team who was going to play 40 minutes of zone?

In 2 of the last 3 years we have had ESPN, CBS every social media graphic come out and say, hey this is the best lineup, not only for UK, but in the entire country when played together. If someone valued winning as much as the other things would they talk about the “Benny line-up” and ignore the nuclear line-up for the most part of this season?

Reactions: cathouse
The question i have is do you think he cares more about winning than he does about being right or playing his guys and when did that change?

I think he wants to win but only wants to win his way and with his approach and that seems to be why his winning percentage has dipped in the end of his career.

If he valued winning over all else do you really think he would’ve started Mitchell, Theiro and Wagner against a team who was going to play 40 minutes of zone?

In 2 of the last 3 years we have had ESPN, CBS every social media graphic come out and say, hey this is the best lineup, not only for UK, but in the entire country when played together. If someone valued winning as much as the other things would they talk about the “Benny line-up” and ignore the nuclear line-up for the most part of this season?
I think he wants to maximize the number of guys he gets to the pros and that most of his energy and "coaching" are to that end. I think he LIKES to win, but it's not a requirement in his mind. If he WANTED to win, he'd work at that.

Cal clearly cares about winning but with a major asterisk that he wants all the credit for it. Hence he won’t make basic changes like learning a zone defense, or more in depth scouting of opponents, or starting /playing your best players together as much as humanly possible.

He has a set vision in his mind and doesn’t deviate from it because then he is indirectly admitting his original plan wasn’t the best one. Classic narcissist

Ironically, his desire to win on his terms to protect his legacy is what’s led to the tarnishing of that legacy. Had he just been like 50% flexible instead of literally 0%, we’d likely have another title and he’d still be a god. Instead, his ego got in the way and he refuses to do things even middle school basketball coaches know are important

Reactions: entropy13

He would have played more effective lineup combinations if winning were his primary goal.

Trying to spin this as being about youth or the one and done model is silly.

He started two guys most of the year who should have been coming off the bench. He played a gimpy 5th year senior on his 4th school 31 minutes in his last game, when we had played much better recently without him.

For whatever reason, Cal didn’t put us in the best position to win games. It was obvious to plenty of people. Probably was obvious to him too. That should force more questions about what exactly he was doing. Beyond me why anyone would want to keep paying him for doing it.

Doesn't sound like you're conflicted.

The greatest day ever In Kentucky history according to john I could care less about the fans calipari was in 2010 and 5 of his players got drafted in the first round looking back he was telling us then the priority at Kentucky and its not going to change I don't care how many times he gets in front of softball Tom leach

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT