ADVERTISEMENT

Concert ear plugs

Glenn's take

All-American
May 20, 2012
The tinnitus has been going for 8 or 9 months now and I'm not going to stop going to concerts. Has anyone tried them and do they help?

For best protection (18 dB reduction): Loop Experience

Best sound: Eargasm (about 13 db reduction)

They're both audiologist approved.

Tried them both, and for full spectrum sound, the Eargasms are the best. If you're right by the stage though, you're still gonna blast your eardrums. Things like the two above, will prevent damage if you're halfway back etc.

Last edited:
Going on 10yrs with tinnitus, went deaf in one ear and had t stopped since that day.

I’ve tried ton of over the counter and none provide total protection with good sound. As a frequent concert goer I would suggest doing what I did. My audiologist did molds and I got musician quality molded plugs. Mine came with 3-4 diff filters, one completely blocks noise. I can’t even hear mower when sitting in it.

You can do molds at home now but for the $ I would suggest having a pro do it to make sure you get the best fit and protection possible.

For anyone looking for sleeping plugs, the PQ (Peace & Quiet) wax plugs from Amazon are AMAZING.

Reactions: Glenn's take
You might want to look into hearing protection from other areas -- particularly competition shooting. Now they make noise cancelling earbuds on an industrial grade strong enough to protect against gunshots while still allowing you to listen to the radio.

You can google "in ear protection shooting" and find something to meet nearly any price point.

For best protection (18 dB reduction): Loop Experience

Best sound: Eargasm (about 13 db reduction)

They're both audiologist approved.

Tried them both, and for full spectrum sound, the Eargasms are the best. If you're right by the stage though, you're still gonna blast your eardrums. Things like the two above, will prevent damage if you're halfway back etc.

I would suspect that some protection does not dampen the frequency spectrum equally. HK’s advise appears to take that into consideration. And, as he suggested, you want protection without losing enjoyment. So, a reduction in db by an acceptable margin, without losing sound quality. An audiologist may say, however, that dampening high-end frequencies are the best, as that seems to be the range most noise induced hearing loss impacts.

I didn't know that the high end frequencies were more damaging. As a layman, I actually would have thought the opposite. That's interesting.

I saw ELO at Rupp, way back in the day, and it was the most painful concert I've ever attended.

Although, that might have had more to do with it being, you know, ELO, than the actual volume.

• Haha
Reactions: WildcatfaninOhio
I saw ELO at Rupp, way back in the day, and it was the most painful concert I've ever attended.

Although, that might have had more to do with it being, you know, ELO, than the actual volume.

Ouch. I was a huge ELO fan in grade school and high school. The Jackson Five gave way to Elton John who gave way to ELO who shared the spotlight with Kiss (just for middle school) who gave way to new wave and punk.

Was on the floor near the stage for a Foo Fighters concert. Had a huge threshold shift of my hearing by the end and left during the encore that Dave promised would be at least 7-8 songs. Just could not hear. Sucked.

I didn't know that the high end frequencies were more damaging. As a layman, I actually would have thought the opposite. That's interesting.

I would leave that to an expert. I just know the higher frequencies are impacted first. Whether that means dampening those frequencies more can help is the question for the expert.

The tinnitus has been going for 8 or 9 months now and I'm not going to stop going to concerts. Has anyone tried them and do they help?
I've worked at the airport for over 35 years. I've worn all kinds of hearing protection and the best ones I've ever worn are Moldex Pura-Fit. They have an NRR of 33 and I find these fit great and are comfortable to wear. I use these for shooting as well as for work so I'm sure concert use is fine.

Here's the thing. I don't think the problem was my love of live music. I think it's the 3 plus decades of sitting at a desk with headphones blaring while I work. Who knew that wouldn't be good?

I have to have my fan going near my head when I'm sleeping to try and block out my tinnitus. Doesn't help enough. So I have to wear one of those sleeping masks with built in headphones. I play an app on my phone that has sleeping sounds through it. My preferred sound is waterfall. Does an awesome job blocking out the ringing. To good really. Can't even hear anyone making noise in my house. Of course none of this helps the original poster.

Neil Young turned up the volume so the fans in the back row could hear. Believe me, I was one of the ones in the front rows. Loud as hell. Rare Earth was another concert that was unbearably loud.

My loudest was believe it or not Meatloaf at some bar in Poughkeepsie, NY.
Coincidentally, one of my loudest was Joan Jett at a bar in Wappingers Falls, NY. Saw her a year earlier in at Racer Arena, Murray, KY. Anyway, we'd just returned from deployment to Middle East. Drove up there to pick up a motorcycle. Guy's sister got us tickets.

Coincidentally, one of my loudest was Joan Jett at a bar in Wappingers Falls, NY. Saw her a year earlier in at Racer Arena, Murray, KY. Anyway, we'd just returned from deployment to Middle East. Drove up there to pick up a motorcycle. Guy's sister got us tickets.
I lived in Carmel for 5 years. 84"89.

Reactions: AustinTXCat

We probably attended the same concert. I actually like some of their tunes, but at least on that night they sucked azz.

Reactions: HymanKaplan
75+ concerts the last 10 years, and I can still hear, or at least pretend to. Volume in terms of just making it loud is pointless, as you reach distortion and/or unintelligible lyrics. Some artists do it better than others, and venues play a role as well. I will say the sound technology today at concerts is light years ahead of what we used to endure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT