ADVERTISEMENT

Colorado carnage?

Bradshaw thought he was or wanted to be Bear Bryant. Football practice was more like a concentration camp. He had a several players seriously injured in practice. Greg Page (I think) ran into a goal post and died from the injury sometime later.

I was friends with a guy who was a freshman player about the time of the thin thirty. He told stories about some of the stuff that went on. He said each night you could hear guys packing their stuff and sneaking out cause they couldn't take it anymore

Prime is a great recruiter, and their team sucked. I expect them to have a huge turnaround year 2-3
It'll be interesting to see how it unfolds but he had a huge talent advantage at his last stop relative to his competitors. We'll see how well he can coach going against teams now with as much or better talent.

Kinda sounds like Cal. Huge talent advantage vs a bad SEC when he first got here but as the league got better he got worse and has now been exposed as a bad HC.

It'll be interesting to see how it unfolds but he had a huge talent advantage at his last stop relative to his competitors. We'll see how well he can coach going against teams now with as much or better talent.

Kinda sounds like Cal. Huge talent advantage vs a bad SEC when he first got here but as the league got better he got worse and has now been exposed as a bad HC.
Yup

He’s going up against Lincoln Riley kyle wittingham chip Kelly Dan lanning etc…

This ain’t hbcu anymore. Those guys can coach and will be circle the Colorado game as Deion is getting all the hype I bet they’ll have their teams going for the games

He has mike skills like a WWE wrestler ,it remains to be seen if he can coach. Maybe he can, maybe he can't at this level. His attention to the day to day things that coaches must do in order to get the job done will have to be proven, can he manage a staff and delegate as needed

I will be surprised if he ever wins 8 games there. He's already rubbing a lot of people the wrong way. 50 transfers is beyond reason. You think any of those dudes are going to leave the Colorado program and hand out a sterling review of Prime?
Sanders is a creation of ESPN and the newest flash-in-the-pan darling of the national sports media.
The media is treating him like an idol. Can you even imagine a white coach coming in and doing and saying the things he has? That poor guy would have been crucified by the media and public. I hate the double standards. Racism goes both ways.

Reactions: Blueworld_3.0
We have some fans with short term memory loss lol. Stoops basically did the exact same thing when he came in. You have to if you want to flip your roster quickly and win games. I think I remember doing a post defending Stoops for cutting like 40 players the first year he was with UK.

Over 50 players from last year’s Colorado roster have hit the portal. Most have been told they were being cut.

Prime seems to be confident that he has a whole slew of new guys coming in. But replacing 50 seems like a huge number.

Thoughts on how this is going to turn out for the Buffs?
What I don't see being discussed by many is that unlike with a HS recruit, when you accept an incoming portal transfer you are responsible for their scholarship until the eligibility runs out. That means if they have 3 years of eligibility remaining and after one year they quit, get injured or you tell them it's not working out, they will count against the team's scholarship limit for two more years. The NCAA enacted this rule this year to stem the transfer mania and force teams to be more judicious.

Correct, portal additions will always count....but guys already on scholly when a new coach arrives can be cut and subtracted from the 85 man roster. Even if they elect to not transfer and stay at that school on a non athletic scholarship.

That's how Riley & USC were able to cut huge amounts of players last yr & replace with over 25 portal additions. Prime & Colorado are doing the same in much larger amounts now.

Yup

He’s going up against Lincoln Riley kyle wittingham chip Kelly Dan lanning etc…

This ain’t hbcu anymore. Those guys can coach and will be circle the Colorado game as Deion is getting all the hype I bet they’ll have their teams going for the games
The same Lincoln Riley we last saw giving up 46 points and losing to Tulane?

Reactions: Samurai Cat
Everyone who’s saying Deions going fail is going to be awfully sad. Lol. The man isn’t going to do anything but succeed at everything he does. He works as hard as anyone and goes at everything he does full tilt. He’s 100% doing what needs to be done there and if a few feelings get hurt, well, so be it. He’s put together some good guys who will work hard as well and has already upgraded his team with more to come. He’s going to have them competing hard this season and year two will make a bowl game. Maybe this season! They’re going to be a top 25 team by year 3 I’m guessing. Just my opinion of course but the man doesn’t know how to fail.

I don't know how Prime will do at Colorado, his fans are excited. There are some excellent coaches at HBCU, to think there isn't is being naive at best, and yes at the level of the ones mentioned.

But every coach not named Dan Mullen will tell Jimmy's and Joe's beat X's and o's. Primes team he inherited looked like a small HS team. He was hired to give everyone a trophy. Maybe he could be a little more tactful but he is trying to do his job.

Reactions: JASUN74
Now that Coach Sanders (not going by his silly Coach Prime) is going to end 4-8 (Utah wiil crush them next week) and last place in Pac 10.

How do we feel know about all of Sanders bravado, the trash he talked, his first meeting with the team and berating them while live streaming, his own "players first" mantra to hype up his son over team, etc...

- I think we'll see a mass exodus again of players this off season
- I think his coachign staff will re-assemble (even more discontinuity)
- I think he'll bring in a ton of transfers again
- I think his HS recruiting class will be poor
- I think Shaeduer and Travis Hunter come back for 1 more year
- Buffs go 5-6 wins next year
- Sanders will leave Colorado after his son and Hunter go NFL....and Colorado will start all over with nothing.

Flash in pan?

Now that Coach Sanders (not going by his silly Coach Prime) is going to end 4-8 (Utah wiil crush them next week) and last place in Pac 10.

How do we feel know about all of Sanders bravado, the trash he talked, his first meeting with the team and berating them while live streaming, his own "players first" mantra to hype up his son over team, etc...

- Sanders will leave Colorado after his son and Hunter go NFL....and Colorado will start all over with nothing.

Flash in pan?
Kind of reminds me of what Joker tried here. Different approach but…. Joker tried to recruit the best athletes off of high school teams that were usually QBs and teach them a new position. That failed with everyone not named Randall Cobb. It was a bold strategy Cotton.

Flash in pan?
Well he brought exposure, hype, and optimism to a place that had little to none. I can’t stand the guy’s personality but it looks like he’ll be able to continue to turn things around by attracting players.

Flash in pan?
Could see this coming a mile away. You can get by with his approach at d-3 levels but reinventing the wheel in d-1 football is another matter. Only one or two rabbits fit in any one hat

I think the buffs saw a 400% improvement from last season in terms of wins.

4 of their losses were real close games 7-10 points...3 of which were against ranked teams.

Ironically, as it falls apart the PAC was strong this year. They have two of the best teams with legit playoff winner potential in Oregon and Washington. They have another 4-5 teams in the top 20ish all year. They have probably the best QBs in all the country. They have 4-5 of the best coaches a couple of whom will be sought after by other big boys and even the NFL.

Colorado will be fine. This was year 1. They're going to get another load of portal talent, plus the returning talent and coaching staff will have a year under their belt.

Whooooooole bunch of folks on this board said a whooooooole lot of really dumb stupid reactionary knee jerk stuff after 2 weeks, 3 weeks in September

I'm not gonna embarrass anybody posting some quotes from then. But oh boy is it entertaining to revisit some stuff said!!! Turns out beating exceedingly mediocre TCU & Nebraska with surprise schemes doesn't make a guy the greatest coach in the country, or his stat stuffing son a Heisman winner.

Reactions: azubuikefan
Whooooooole bunch of folks on this board said a whooooooole lot of really dumb stupid reactionary knee jerk stuff after 2 weeks, 3 weeks in September

I'm not gonna embarrass anybody posting some quotes from then. But oh boy is it entertaining to revisit some stuff said!!! Turns out beating exceedingly mediocre TCU & Nebraska with surprise schemes doesn't make a guy the greatest coach in the country, or his stat stuffing son a Heisman winner.
Everyone said Heuples scheme was a gimmick and D coordinators in the SEC would figure it out and stop it. That seems to be true for every school NOT NAMED KENTUCKY. Sometimes something new is surprising. Tape is out there tho. No way to keep people surprised. EXCEPT KENTUCKY.

The Big 12 will be pretty weak next year without Texas and Oklahoma.
Their champ still gets a slot in the 12 team CFB playoff

Big 12 will be fun. No superpowers, but no horrible programs, lots of even balanced results. Although Utah should be the class as long as Whittingham is there.

It’ll be interesting to see what Deon does by year 3. He certainly brought the hype; then they backed it up for a couple weeks. This made for a lot of national hype. (Some of it deserved!)

I would say they overachieved this year. That roster was in very bad shape. The key will be whether he can stack a couple recruiting classes to Boulder. He’ll still get benefit of “rebuild hype” this offseason. Every team has players transfer out, but a major outflux of transfers will be telling. This will especially be case if they are contributors.

He may score in the portal again this year. As noted by others, PAC 12 is going to be weaker. He’ll need to be towards top of his conference by year 3.

I’m withholding thoughts on Prime for another year. Many football people predicted them to win 2-3 games tops this year.

I will say others will come calling for Sanders. Maybe Miss St, Texas Am, others. Doubt AM more than State. People want the public eye on their team. He brings that to any place. Not sure Sanders wants to be stuck in Colorado. He has much bigger places, Miami, Fl St, Bama and so forth. He wants to be the head of a "dynasty".

I will say others will come calling for Sanders. Maybe Miss St, Texas Am, others. Doubt AM more than State. People want the public eye on their team. He brings that to any place. Not sure Sanders wants to be stuck in Colorado. He has much bigger places, Miami, Fl St, Bama and so forth. He wants to be the head of a "dynasty".
He wants to be about himself. Period.

Reactions: ORCAT
I think most folks with half a brain thought that the early hype was too much. You notice how quiet they are now. He obviously brought excitement and a buzz to Colorado but results are what counts.

He won't pursue jobs this yr, his QB son & Travis Hunter can't transfer again. After year 2 both are gone, if he has a Colorado winning record in 2024 that is when his name will be mentioned for bigger openings.

He won't pursue jobs this yr, his QB son & Travis Hunter can't transfer again. After year 2 both are gone, if he has a Colorado winning record in 2024 that is when his name will be mentioned for bigger openings.
^Yep - 100% correct.

I've doubted him all along. Not that he's a horrible coach but there are a lot of good coaches and good players and he wasn't going to have a talent advantage over many on CU's schedule.

This far, his recruiting class looks pretty good except he has very few linemen. Unless he scores big in the portal, and he'll be limited as he added 80+ players last year, they will have the same problems as this year - inability to stop the run, establish the run, protect their QB (he's taken 50+ sacks this year). While the B12 maybe won't be as strong, KState, BYU, Okie St, Baylor, Utah, etc al aren't going to just lay down for Prime.

They have a decent chance of going 6-6 or 7-5, but I wouldn't think much better than that.

A bigger school comes calling after next year and he's gone.

He made a critical error a few weeks ago completely trashing his lineman in the media. You just can't do that. Call it bravado if you want but it's very poor taste and worse leadership. The dumbest part of it all was - it didn't need to be said because everyone knew it.

Not surprisingly their season went off a cliff almost immediately after. Then he made some other weird coaching moves.

We'll see what happens next year.

Reactions: K_TIME and Cawood86
He made a critical error a few weeks ago completely trashing his lineman in the media. You just can't do that. Call it bravado if you want but it's very poor taste and worse leadership. The dumbest part of it all was - it didn't need to be said because everyone knew it.

Not surprisingly their season went off a cliff almost immediately after. Then he made some other weird coaching moves.

We'll see what happens next year.
Agreed...I would add demoting his OC mid season wat patently terrible. I guess that guy will be leaving and who is going to want that job when you're expected to prop up Shadeur's stats for Heisman, won't run the ball and your done if he looks bad.

are they only sophomores? I thought they were juniors. My mistake. I figure Hunter (if he is a Junior or 3 years past high school) he would be gone along with Sanders. I only wanted a few minutes of 2 games of theirs.

Flash in pan?
Some of us saw this train derailing as soon as "prime" became the soup dujour of the national sports media. But, you won't hear a single apology from anyone who essentially clain Prime to be the next Bear Bryant.

Reactions: K_TIME
I'd take him here over Stoops in a hot second.

Not sure we are big enough game for him. He would lump us in with the likes of Vandy and such. If he comes to SEC he will be looking for some tradition (Miss State would be the lesser team) but would say you look at the big names, Florida / LSU / Auburn / Bama / UGA / Oklahoma / Texas / AM / Tennessee or ACC Clemson / Fla State / Miami. That type of name.

Oh for the love....I get we are at a low now with Stoops.....but Sanders can't coach a lick nor put a competent environment for others to coach and develop soundly.

I think the buffs saw a 400% improvement from last season in terms of wins.

4 of their losses were real close games 7-10 points...3 of which were against ranked teams.

Ironically, as it falls apart the PAC was strong this year. They have two of the best teams with legit playoff winner potential in Oregon and Washington. They have another 4-5 teams in the top 20ish all year. They have probably the best QBs in all the country. They have 4-5 of the best coaches a couple of whom will be sought after by other big boys and even the NFL.

Colorado will be fine. This was year 1. They're going to get another load of portal talent, plus the returning talent and coaching staff will have a year under their belt.
I think this is correct. I think Sanders did better this year for Colorado than Lincoln Riley did for USC. I don’t think Buff fans are upset.

I think this is correct. I think Sanders did better this year for Colorado than Lincoln Riley did for USC. I don’t think Buff fans are upset.
But all fans/media are doing is the ole compare to the lowest point and then argue that is the baseline....just like UK fans do with Stoops.

1. Colorada was 1-11 the year before Sanders. But if you look at 5 year averages....Colorado with Dorrel, Mel Tucker, etc... were about a 4-5 wins per year program.
2. So Sanders wins 4 games.....that is about what the coach that they just fired was getting them. Now if Sanders jumps that to 6-7 wins next year....now we are talking about some progress. But so many are acting like he's done some miraculous job....he simply has not. And once Shaddeur and Hunter leaves eventually....I'll argue he's not going to get a better QB than his son.
3. UK fans did the same with Stoops....like 2 wins was the norm for UK when Brooks was solidly getting 6-7 wins and then Joker was a disaster.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT