ADVERTISEMENT

Collin Chandler back in the USA

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012

GMpuZRuXQAAL6ts

Last edited:
It has to be surreal going from a missionary status to playing for the university of Kentucky.

The good news is that this kid will embrace the grind. Basketball at Kentucky probably will seem like child's play compared to serving overseas.

Multi-year player we likely don't have to worry about bolting for $$. Can't wait to see how he develops.

Pope has been amazing as a recruiter so far. Driving to Nashville in the middle of the night to pick up Carr, Shooting up to Pennsylvania late at night to secure Amari Williams. Flying to Vegas to secure Butler. Greeting guys at the airport knowing full well it will draw all sorts of attention. Anybody who questioned his recruiting prowess needs to eat a little crow.

true, could you EVER imagine ccc doing any of this
not in a million years, he would have thought it was below his stature
Pope knows he has to put his nose to the grindstone. Hopefully in future years he won't have to run around as much. It can wear a person down over time. Still. What he has done in these few short weeks is nothing short of amazing and I couldn't be more excited for our future.

Chandler is literally a three level scorer. So many can shoot it long. So many can drive it hard. But how many can pull up and hit mid range jump shots to go with the long shooting and hard driving? And just for good measure, a handsy guy on defense that can spring high above the rim. Very high ceiling for this guy.

Pope knows he has to put his nose to the grindstone. Hopefully in future years he won't have to run around as much. It can wear a person down over time. Still. What he has done in these few short weeks is nothing short of amazing and I couldn't be more excited for our future.
Pope just loves UK and is relishing being UK coach. I don't think he cares what people think of whether he's working hard enough, nor should he. He a genuine dude.

Crazy he went to the airport with his own family (Pope) to meet the kid. Crazy in a good way. I mean what kind of world were we living in with Cal? He did some good things for Kentucky, but looking back it's vividly clear he was doing them for his own ego. Pope is just overall a better human being than Cal will ever be.
Pope truly appreciates everything about this school and program. The other guy did not....at all

Things like this are crucial especially in this day and age. Everyone is a potential one and done in the portal era. Things like this make a difference and will give us an advantage when trying to retain guys.

So Coach Pope definitely isn't 6'10 right?

People shrink a little as they age and he has some poor posture in some of these pics. Maybe he's trying to squeeze in? Maybe it's just from years of having to bend down to hear people?

I think Chandler is going to surprise a lot of folks as a frosh.
Yeah, this is the guy I think many of our fans are overlooking. I keep seeing fans do these projected depth charts that list him behind our other guards …and I think they may end up being proven quite wrong about that.

Remember, this dude was a top 30 ranked recruit, is extremely athletic …and is now two years more physically and mentally mature than other freshman.

It’s gonna be interesting to see what he looks like after those two years away. We’ve never had a player in that situation before.

You're not the only one who thought that. It first crossed my mind when I attended Pope's first press conference. Derek Anderson was like barely shorty than him. I remember DA being like what.. 6'6 or something?

Then you have to consider that Pope is like 6'10 and Chandler is 6'7? That is only 3 inches. Which isn't a big difference.

Maybe we are used to 7 footers lol

Then you have to consider that Pope is like 6'10 and Chandler is 6’7”?

Where are you getting 6’7” from? All of the listings I’ve seen for Chandler have him at 6’4”.

As for Pope, yeah, he ain’t really 6’10”. it was common accepted practice for player height listings to be fudged up a bit in the 90s (and it still happens a lot now too). So he probably was more like 6’9” during his playing days.

And, given that men lose height as they age, he may be more like 6’8” now.

Pope is likely closer to 6’8” these days with age related diminishing stature. These photos would appear to reflect that.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Back when he played at UK he was over 6 10 by about 1/2 in or so. That was in his sneakers. Today he probably like most 50 year old people are shorter than when they were 20 years old. I would guess Pope is between 6 8 nd 6 9 now.

Yeah, this is the guy I think many of our fans are overlooking. I keep seeing fans do these projected depth charts that list him behind our other guards …and I think they may end up being proven quite wrong about that.

Remember, this dude was a top 30 ranked recruit, is extremely athletic …and is now two years more physically and mentally mature than other freshman.

It’s gonna be interesting to see what he looks like after those two years away. We’ve never had a player in that situation before.
will probably play behind some guys to start the year just because he hasn't played in so long but he could be really dangerous down the stretch of the season into postseason play

will probably play behind some guys to start the year just because he hasn't played in so long but he could be really dangerous down the stretch of the season into postseason play
I would love to know if he was able to play ball at all and if so, how much, while he was away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT