ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Stoops allows TOO MANY dumb mistakes to win consistently.

catben

All-American
Sep 13, 2003
Happens every year, but especially this one.

-Fumbles that either lead to scores or prevent us from scoring
-Penalties that KILL drives
-Kicking game missing FG's and EP's in tight games that could be difference makers
-Missed tackles that lead to BIG plays
-Soft coverage that allows for 3rd down conversions
-Breaking the huddle too late for ANY adjustments
-Defense struggling against Hurry-Up offenses

This list is what is keeping Coach Stoops from getting UK Football to that next level.

UK Football has to play nearly mistake free to succeed. It's difficult, but not impossible. Coach Stoops has to realize this and DEMAND DISCIPLINE from EVERY player and coach. I realize that no team is going to play totally mistake free, BUT we CAN'T make the type of DUMB mistakes that KILL your chances of winning!!!

Looked like I was watching Jokers Kentucky last night, saw so many missed arm tackles it made me sick. No effort. No discipline at all. Team was not prepared. Coaches not prepared. So many mistakes I lost count in first 10 minutes.
And it's not just last night. That's what makes losing like that SSSOOOOOOOO frustrating!!!!

We can go back to not only last week but SEVERAL losses over the years and the ONE prevailing theme would be STUPID mistakes!!

And it's not just last night. That's what makes losing like that SSSOOOOOOOO frustrating!!!!

We can go back to not only last week but SEVERAL losses over the years and the ONE prevailing theme would be STUPID mistakes!!
And if we're the kind of fans that think teams end up being a reflection of the coaches and coaching staff, what does that say? < Insert favorite leadership philosophy here > "It all start at the top", etc....

-Kicking game missing FG's and EP's in tight games that could be difference makers

This list is what is keeping Coach Stoops from getting UK Football to that next level.

UK Football has to play nearly mistake free to succeed. It's difficult, but not impossible. Coach Stoops has to realize this and DEMAND DISCIPLINE from EVERY player and coach. I realize that no team is going to play totally mistake free, BUT we CAN'T make the type of DUMB mistakes that KILL your chances of winning!!!
It's 2022...Stoops biggest mistake is him wanting to play 1980's fb. It is no longer about defense. Even Saban came to grips with it as did his brother Bob.

Will Coach Stoops do ANYTHING to address these game killing errors?

This is quite fair. Stoops teams have been really sloppy over the years with clock management issues and penalties. This team has looked sloppy all year. An alum, season ticket holder for nearly 30 years… love ‘em and will keep rooting them on. Dang though, this year has been underwhelming!

I’ve said this for years. All of these fans asking WILL HE LEAVE!?!? And I always say, to go where? He has never been offered a better job than UK.

He is what he is. An average coach that recruits better than former coaches to an extent and utilized Ohio. Because we’ve been consistent and not changed coaches, that’s worked to beat teams we usually don’t beat who are themselves going through coaching cycles and hit some low points. And even then, he doesn’t beat all of them.

Stoops is not a bad fit for UK right now, but eventually we need to decide what we want. Stoops is, at best, a very average coach. Sometimes slightly above, other times even slightly below. With the reemergence of teams due to NIL like Tennessee, and teams like Florida bound to rebound, not to mention the super conference eliminating east / west, I doubt be even wins 10 games again. We’re now looking at Louisville regaining the steam, and we’re sitting here Unable to even recruit to the typical level he was.

So I’ve asked this question many times. What do we want? Pretending he’s an elite coach isn’t going to help, he’s not. If you take the route that this is as good as it gets, fine. I’m of the opinion that within the next 3 years we need to begin to see a step up, and if not, if we want to compete in this league, we need to remove the AD and have the new one evaluate if Stoops can utilize more resources or it’s time to go in a new direction. I wouldn’t fire him, but I’d make it so clear that he might just prefer to resign or retire.

People in this business you’ve got to take hard looks and leave your biases at the door. You either want to compete to be one of the top 5 in this conference, or not. The problem with UK fans is simple. In football, we are projecting into reality what we view as our limits. There’s no way to win big like that. Statues for .500 coaches? Pumping our chest at going 4-0 with wins over bad teams, all of this is great as a start. But if we want to really be taken serious, we have to be serious. And right now I just don’t think our AD or many of our fans are. They’re busy pretending these are glory days in order to feel like they’ve arrived. And it does feel good, but is it really to our potential? I don’t think so.

Last edited:
Coach Stoops system works when EVERYONE gives maximum effort and doesn’t make STUPID mistakes. I realize that is hard at times, but UK is RARELY going to bring in top 10 recruiting classes. So, we have to play nearly mistake free with kids that can develop into SEC players.

That’s why these last 2 games have been so disheartening. We can’t win at a high level making DUMB errors!!

Coach Stoops system works when EVERYONE gives maximum effort and doesn’t make STUPID mistakes. I realize that is hard at times, but UK is RARELY going to bring in top 10 recruiting classes. So, we have to play nearly mistake free with kids that can develop into SEC players.

That’s why these last 2 games have been so disheartening. We can’t win at a high level making DUMB errors!!

But Stoops isn’t a good field coach. I don’t think he’s even average, I think he’s a very sub par field coach. Just growing up playing NCaA football on PlayStation, you’ll learn more than watching him make quick decisions. I’m not trying to put him down, but he’s not a good field manager. Above average recruiter (pre NIL) and recruiting strategist and developer / below average field management = average coach.

He’s too old to learn new tricks. This is what it is. It’s why I posted what I did above and why I keep wondering what so many are missing here

The first play against Carolina was high risk high reward. If Brown had caught it clean and took it 75 for a score it would have been a great call. The defender made a play and it went the wrong way. Everyone has trouble defending HUNH. I haven't seen Stoops fumble one time, maybe I missed that game. No he isn't perfect, I think he needs to pick his spots better to get after the officials, don't want to see him go down on the sideline. But UK came in missing the QB, had to play a kid with zero meaningful snaps in an SEC game.

The first play against Carolina was high risk high reward. If Brown had caught it clean and took it 75 for a score it would have been a great call. The defender made a play and it went the wrong way. Everyone has trouble defending HUNH. I haven't seen Stoops fumble one time, maybe I missed that game. No he isn't perfect, I think he needs to pick his spots better to get after the officials, don't want to see him go down on the sideline. But UK came in missing the QB, had to play a kid with zero meaningful snaps in an SEC game.
It’s not just last game, the Ole Miss game was riddled with dumb mistakes. UK doesn’t have the talent that your Bulldogs enjoy, so we have to play nearly mistake free to win consistently. We survived the Florida game despite all of the errors, but sustaining success will depend on keeping STUPID mistakes to a minimum.

Reactions: UKat1
But Stoops isn’t a good field coach. I don’t think he’s even average, I think he’s a very sub par field coach. Just growing up playing NCaA football on PlayStation, you’ll learn more than watching him make quick decisions. I’m not trying to put him down, but he’s not a good field manager. Above average recruiter (pre NIL) and recruiting strategist and developer / below average field management = average coach.

He’s too old to learn new tricks. This is what it is. It’s why I posted what I did above and why I keep wondering what so many are missing here
Absolutely agree. I would have said the same exact thing the week of the Georgia game last season when we were 6-0, or after each bowl win, or after the Florida game this season…but I am a good Kentucky fan and don’t want to be a party pooper or rain on our other fans’ parade. Such glaring deficiencies with Mark Stoops & his staffs even during lucky/ugly wins that this type of debacle is so easy to predict.

It’s not just last game, the Ole Miss game was riddled with dumb mistakes. UK doesn’t have the talent that your Bulldogs enjoy, so we have to play nearly mistake free to win consistently. We survived the Florida game despite all of the errors, but sustaining success will depend on keeping STUPID mistakes to a minimum.
Stoops isn’t perfect, but I’d be willing to bet he didn’t tell Levis to fumble the ball.

I’ve said this for years. All of these fans asking WILL HE LEAVE!?!? And I always say, to go where? He has never been offered a better job than UK.

He is what he is. An average coach that recruits better than former coaches to an extent and utilized Ohio. Because we’ve been consistent and not changed coaches, that’s worked to beat teams we usually don’t beat who are themselves going through coaching cycles and hit some low points. And even then, he doesn’t beat all of them.

Stoops is not a bad fit for UK right now, but eventually we need to decide what we want. Stoops is, at best, a very average coach. Sometimes slightly above, other times even slightly below. With the reemergence of teams due to NIL like Tennessee, and teams like Florida bound to rebound, not to mention the super conference eliminating east / west, I doubt be even wins 10 games again. We’re now looking at Louisville regaining the steam, and we’re sitting here Unable to even recruit to the typical level he was.

So I’ve asked this question many times. What do we want? Pretending he’s an elite coach isn’t going to help, he’s not. If you take the route that this is as good as it gets, fine. I’m of the opinion that within the next 3 years we need to begin to see a step up, and if not, if we want to compete in this league, we need to remove the AD and have the new one evaluate if Stoops can utilize more resources or it’s time to go in a new direction. I wouldn’t fire him, but I’d make it so clear that he might just prefer to resign or retire.

People in this business you’ve got to take hard looks and leave your biases at the door. You either want to compete to be one of the top 5 in this conference, or not. The problem with UK fans is simple. In football, we are projecting into reality what we view as our limits. There’s no way to win big like that. Statues for .500 coaches? Pumping our chest at going 4-0 with wins over bad teams, all of this is great as a start. But if we want to really be taken serious, we have to be serious. And right now I just don’t think our AD or many of our fans are. They’re busy pretending these are glory days in order to feel like they’ve arrived. And it does feel good, but is it really to our potential? I don’t think so.
Been saying this for years, I like Stoops but I just don’t think he’s the guy to make the next step. He’s been fortunate that the east has been down (except UGA) but other schools are getting better (UT, USC, UF will eventually) and we’re getting worse.

I guess it depends on what your definition of consistently is in regards to Uk football. At the moment it is still possible to have a winning season for the 6th time in the last 7 year, the one that wasn’t was the all conference games year in which we defeated a ranked team in the bowl. If you look at the history of Kentucky that seems to be winning consistently.

if your take is Kentucky could probably have won 5-10 more games over the stoops era with more discipline I would absolutely agree with you there, but to pretend like Mark Stoops isn’t the best coach in school history is short sighted.

I know I am scarred by growing up hoping Kentucky wins one sec game not against vandy and just wondering if the game would be close into the second half and maybe it’s a “loser mentality.” I believe we first should embrace that we actually are winning consistently for the first time in school history and then look what steps need to be taken to get even better.

For the record, in my opinion stoops of 5 years ago is actually 6-0 right now. We passed the ball way too much down the stretch in the ole miss game, and whatever that trick play was against Carolina would not have happened and that game goes entirely different. That coach stoops probably does have a 10 win ceiling. the Question is will fans be happy with that? Apparently not.

Reactions: CGblue and sefus12

Tend to agree Grom but UL is not gaining steam. I have been wanting Stoops gone since the Florida game where we gave up 2 TD’s because we only had 10 men on the field. We had the game won.

Reactions: Crums Bald Spot

He isn’t a perfect in game coach. Far from it actually. But since Joker, who would you have preferred? That we could have gotten,I should add? Your perspective is Stoops is ok for now, but we gotta do better. Ok, who? Let’s go get ‘em. Oops, there’s Barney. Shit man. We’re UK. Not Barnhart U. At least acknowledge the last hire was a plus. And piss on Cal ( not relative).

Reactions: Jont0805
His teams are almost always sloppy but that's how he grinds out games. My biggest concern is that we've lost our identity. We got away with being sloppy beating G5 schools and rebuilding UF, UT and USCe by mauling teams on the OL with a power run game. We didn't need to reinvent the wheel, which we are trying to do. We only needed a credible passing game to open things up. We've literally gone the other direction.

Good thread from educated football people. Stoops isnt a good in game coach and even our pre game prep work / game plans can be puzzling ... whatever the issue he's never gonna be a good enough offensive scheme guy to continue this rise . Hes done a very good job . Just not the guy to get us one rung higher .

Good thread from educated football people. Stoops isnt a good in game coach and even our pre game prep work / game plans can be puzzling ... whatever the issue he's never gonna be a good enough offensive scheme guy to continue this rise . Hes done a very good job . Just not the guy to get us one rung higher .
It's ALL about offense, offense, offense.

It's ALL about offense, offense, offense.
But Coach Stoops would help his style TREMENDOUSLY by putting a premium EVERY DAY in practice on playing clean with an emphasis on precision. These unforced errors, fumbles, missed tackles, penalties and late play calling have been the difference these last 2 games. DUMB mistakes should NEVER be a problem with a coach that has been here for 10’years!!!

But Coach Stoops would help his style TREMENDOUSLY by putting a premium EVERY DAY in practice on playing clean with an emphasis on precision. These unforced errors, fumbles, missed tackles, penalties and late play calling have been the difference these last 2 games. DUMB mistakes should NEVER be a problem with a coach that has been here for 10’years!!!
Well it took 4 years or so to continually get the right number of players on the field . We are getting better -lol

Kentucky just needs to play a clean game.
Come out on Saturday. run offense. stop on defense. Play solid special teams.
No Mistake football and they'll beat Mississippi State.
I believe we will beat Mississippi State at their own game. We Will throw the ball on them.
And we will intercept the quarterback like we did one year when we had like 7!!!!! interceptions on him. Lol. Same Quarterback. Just two years later

Reactions: The-Hack
What great teams has he ever beaten? Gotten lucky against some teams that were falling apart or over ranked due to it being early in the season. Im not sure Bowl games count being that they have turned into glorified exhibitions

What great teams has he ever beaten? Gotten lucky against some teams that were falling apart or over ranked due to it being early in the season. Im not sure Bowl games count being that they have turned into glorified exhibitions
He beat UL when they had Lamar, and that’s probably his best win. Aside from that, Stoops has taken advantage of an historically weak East. Aside from UGA over the past 5 years, none of the teams have been very good. Although UT is definitely up there this year.

Reactions: bigbluedon
Here we go again with the DUMB mistakes!!! 10 penalties in one half and a turnover that could have given us the lead.

Thank goodness our defense has played outstanding!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT