FB Recruiting Coach Speak: Treyveon Longmire

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
Corbin, Ky., athlete

Treyveon Longmire
has been on the recruiting and prospect scene for years. He burst onto it as a high school freshman when word of his talent started to circulate. It has continued up to now, with Longmire now committed to Kentucky.

To get a better idea of what kind of player Longmire has been and could be Cats Illustrated reached out to Corbin wide receivers coach Dustin Buckner, who has worked with Longmire extensively and has had a hand in his development.

Here's our Q&A session with Buckner in full.

Cats Illustrated: Just to start out how would you describe Treyveon as a player you guys, and what does he bring to the table?

Dustin Buckner
: Trey's a very athletic guy. His speed's probably his strong suit but the best thing about Trey is his personality. He's a great kid. No matter what kind of day it is and no matter what the situation is he's always got a smile on his face. His strongest attribute is his personality.

CI: He played varsity as a freshman and made a pretty big impact, right? We've been hearing about him for years.

Buckner:
Yes, he played varsity as a freshman. He actually scored on a 60-yard touchdown in the state championship game at Commonwealth. He made a big impact. Ever since Trey came to us he's been a big-time player and we expect a lot out of him this year. He's always made big plays for us. Treyveon's always been Treyveon. Any time he touches the ball he has a chance to score. That's what his athleticism gives us. It's a huge contribution to the offense.

CI: How do you guys get him involved in the offense? Is he mostly scoring on deep balls or taking it and making plays closer to the line of scrimmage?

Buckner
: It's a little bit of everything. Treyveon does take advantage of deep balls but in the modern day offense there's the same capability of taking that for a big touchdown.

CI: What positions does he play for you guys and what positions is Kentucky talking about him for?

Buckner
: He plays receiver and corner for us and Kentucky's recruiting him for either receiver or corner.

CI: Does he have a preference as far as a position?

Buckner
: I don't think so. I think he's open to whatever Kentucky needs him to do.

CI: Who have been the most important coaches in his recruitment?

Buckner
: It's Coach Marrow. I think Coach (CJ) Conrad talks to him, too. I think he has talked to the offensive coordinator, the receivers coach, and I think he talked to Coach Clink but Coach Marrow more than anybody. Coach Marrow was in contact with him quite a bit. It just seemed like when you'd ask him who he's talking to lately he'd always mention Coach Marrow so he did a good job of recruiting him.

CI: I'm guessing there was no surprise when he picked Kentucky?

Buckner
: I think in the back of our minds and in the back of Treyveon's mind we felt like Kentucky was the place he wanted to be, always. He obviously went through the recruiting process a little bit and listened to what others wanted to say to him.

CI: Besides the speed what sets him apart as a prospect?

Buckner
: Over time, on offense, as a receiver he's taken a lot of pride in developing as a route runner. He's really confident in his ability to run routes. Of course when you do that you can get the ball and make plays more often. That's helped him.

CI: Is he a vocal guy or a quieter lead by example guy?

Buckner
: A little bit of both. He's not always the most vocal. He's not a rah-rah guy. But with it being his senior year coming up he's doing a little more. He's doing stuff the right way and rallying the troops.

CI: Do you know when he's taking his official to Kentucky?

Buckner
: He said he was going to take his official this summer I think.

CI: Has he ever had an injury history? It doesn't seem like he's struggled with that much.

Buckner
: No, that's not something he's dealt a lot with. Maybe a twisted ankle here or there but it's never been a big thing.

CI: Is his family excited he's going to be close to home?

Buckner
: They're excited for him. They're happy for the opportunity to go up there any time to watch and visit. It's really a blessing to stay close to home and be able to have your family when you need them.

CI: With receiver a possibility for him has UK talked much about the offensive change?

Buckner:
I know he talked to the offensive coordinator once. As far as what the conversation was like I don't know much. But they've spoken.

CI: Other than Kentucky what were the big schools that made him think about things?

Buckner
: He was excited for a few of them. I knew he was excited about Oklahoma, Michigan, and Louisville.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News