ADVERTISEMENT

COACH Said, Phone never stops ringing

What I think people don't realize is that there are several players that came to Kentucky, and would only have come to Kentucky, because of John Calipari.

On the flip side, there are several players, if not a whole lot more, who would not come to Kentucky because of John Calipari.

John Calipari usually recruited 4-6 kids to Kentucky every year. That means there were 44-46 plays in the top-50 that didn't come to Kentucky because John Calipari didn't recruit them, or that didn't want to play for him, that may come because of Mark Pope.

Just need patience and let things happen as they will. A few on here expect the roster to magically be filled out in days. reality is, even though his phone is ringing, lots of those guys want or need to do visits as well, so it means there may be a bit of time before we know the full roster makeup. Guys are still entering the portal.

Just need patience and let things happen as they will. A few on here expect the roster to magically be filled out in days. reality is, even though his phone is ringing, lots of those guys want or need to do visits as well, so it means there may be a bit of time before we know the full roster makeup. Guys are still entering the portal.
True, but many fans are impatient and would love to start seeing more notices about players interested in UK and planning visits. I think by the end of this week we'll see several of these public social media statements around kids in the portal and perhaps even some visits scheduled.

Remember, Pope is going at this alone right now while also trying to identify assistant candidates, which require calls and interviews. So this coach is going to be SWAMPED in these first two weeks trying to keep both of these tasks at equal priority.

I’ve said it before: If Reed Sheppard grew up in another state and his parents didn’t play for UK, he would have never been offered by Cal.

Reed is a special player and kid, but don’t think for a minute there aren’t a TON of fundamentally sound, hard-working, deadeye shooters with court vision out there in the high school ranks right now that are undervalued by the Cal’s of the world. That’s why Cal just keeps losing while relying on the Wagner and Edwards types.

What I think people don't realize is that there are several players that came to Kentucky, and would only have come to Kentucky, because of John Calipari.

On the flip side, there are several players, if not a whole lot more, who would not come to Kentucky because of John Calipari.

John Calipari usually recruited 4-6 kids to Kentucky every year. That means there were 44-46 plays in the top-50 that didn't come to Kentucky because John Calipari didn't recruit them, or that didn't want to play for him, that may come because of Mark Pope.
If the #1 PG in the country signs with Kentucky, we’re probably not getting the #2 PG in that class. There is a natural spread of top players every year among (mostly) elite programs. Why sit behind the #1 guy at UK when you can start anywhere else?
I think Cal may have over-recruited at times. It does not benefit your roster to have 5 star players on the bench and this past season was a good example of this.

If the #1 PG in the country signs with Kentucky, we’re probably not getting the #2 PG in that class. There is a natural spread of top players every year among (mostly) elite programs. Why sit behind the #1 guy at UK when you can start anywhere else?
I think Cal may have over-recruited at times. It does not benefit your roster to have 5 star players on the bench and this past season was a good example of this.
..and with so many top recruits Cal forced all the minutes on them. That worked, until it didn't. I am excited about a more balanced roster going forward.

What I am hoping (and expecting) that we get with Mark Pope is a guy who recruits to his needs rather than like Calipari who did in fact load up at the same position many times while leaving us wanting at others.
I think Calipari's fantasy of being able to switch at every position, all of the time drove his desire to recruit great athletes who also happened to play basketball. I'm hoping Pope recruits just the opposite.

It’s really really early in portal season. The best names likely aren’t even in yet.

I’m sure the phone is ringing, in the same way a hundred coaches would have taken the job if Mitch called. The key is that this program is only interested in the very top of that list.

Hopefully we worry a lot less about stars and a lot more about developing teams.

It’s really really early in portal season. The best names likely aren’t even in yet.

I’m sure the phone is ringing, in the same way a hundred coaches would have taken the job if Mitch called. The key is that this program is only interested in the very top of that list.
It’s all about the type of players too that want to be here and fit the style that Pope wants to implement.

True, but many fans are impatient and would love to start seeing more notices about players interested in UK and planning visits. I think by the end of this week we'll see several of these public social media statements around kids in the portal and perhaps even some visits scheduled.

Remember, Pope is going at this alone right now while also trying to identify assistant candidates, which require calls and interviews. So this coach is going to be SWAMPED in these first two weeks trying to keep both of these tasks at equal priority.
Why doesn't Pope bring his BYU assistants with him?

If Cal said it, I'd say "he's full of sh*t."

If Pope said it, I'm going to trust that it's true. Until he gives us reason to believe otherwise.

more precisely there are a ton of good players that never got the call from Calipari who would love to be at Kentucky.

Cal just had no interest in them unless he saw upside for himself
Basically, if Calipari didn’t already think you were a sure fire 1-2 year NBA draft pick, there was a 90% chance he had no interest.

Pope will be getting calls from players with potential who want to be developed by a first class coaching staff in first class facilities.

I'm quite sure that's what Pope meant when he alluded to the fact that he was going to be very selective about who he recruited--about who would be a good fit for Kentucky.

As it was when Pitino was Coach--players who come to Kentucky need to have their work ethic in place when they arrive.

Pope plans on developing players. He's not going to be running a camp where blue chip Burger Boys lay around in the hot tub until NBA draft night rolls around.

Those players need to go to Arkansas.

Absolutely agree. Love this post. This is what some don't realize.

I’ve said it before: If Reed Sheppard grew up in another state and his parents didn’t play for UK, he would have never been offered by Cal.

Reed is a special player and kid, but don’t think for a minute there aren’t a TON of fundamentally sound, hard-working, deadeye shooters with court vision out there in the high school ranks right now that are undervalued by the Cal’s of the world. That’s why Cal just keeps losing while relying on the Wagner and Edwards types.
Very true
He really didn't want to recruit him any way.
Probably forced too by boosters
Good thing someone can see talent, ccc can't

Nailed it
Mods please pin this post .. Thanks

Kal relies on player rankings to tell him who to recruit. He’s too lazy to look elsewhere.

Cal's type of player was so specific, and niche, that it limited what he could recruit and style of ball he could play.

He became so obsessed with the NBA potential that he forgot there's another 50-75 good kids out there that can ball, and we see it every March...have dozen of them seem to have had career days against us over the last 6 years or so.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I have a feeling we're going to see some of the most skilled teams in UK history over the next decade.

The portal makes recruiting blue chippers completely obsolete now. You no longer need AJ Dybantsa or Maleek Thomas to win big at Kentucky. Now you can go out and get Antonio Reeves and Kellan Grady level guys at every position.

Word from Oakland and St. Peter’s basketball

Worse than that... Cal never evaluated talent. He took the top ranked recruits, thereby getting the "best" class regularly, but no continuity and no better fits for our immediate needs.
Quade Green comes to mind.

I was like did you even scout this kid? He doesn't fit your system at all!

Reactions: wildcatwelder

is only interested in the best fit for the program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT