ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Hamdan Mic'd Up

I really like the attitude and approach. Much more ground up thought process and approach. Coen was big picture down, which is why we had so many turnovers and penalties under his guidance.

Jmo but that's also probably the difference between a college coach and an NFL one. The NFL guys assumed a certain level of foundational competence, which was rarely the case for a college player.

Excited to see how we look.

I really like the attitude and approach. Much more ground up thought process and approach. Coen was big picture down, which is why we had so many turnovers and penalties under his guidance.

Jmo but that's also probably the difference between a college coach and an NFL one. The NFL guys assumed a certain level of foundational competence, which was rarely the case for a college player.

Excited to see how we look.
Yes I love a coach to really work through the intricacies of what they're teaching . Like you said NFL coaches are used to dealing with NFL athletes who were the best of the best in college, they get to the league and they know generally what to do. The kids we have are from HS, and most have never really been taught taught.

Take Barion we like to say that he's a bad route runner and just really out athletes people instead of really dealing with the specifics of the position. Barion mainly played about like a HS player, because Woodward/Coen never taught him better. He could do that in HS, and it's a testament to his ability that he can still do it somewhat effectively at this level, but if B7 ever learns how to really run his routes the right way like a devonta smith etc look out no one will contain the kid ..

I believe Barion is a great kid and I seriously doubt his issue is him not trying I think Woodward just couldn't teach him. I imagine that would be hard to do considering Woodward was never a WR or WR coach ...Shorts should be a Major upgrade in teaching over ole Scotty. Barion might be some sort of super freak if he can get it together with a good coach.

Take Barion we like to say that he's a bad route runner and just really out athletes people instead of really dealing with the specifics of the position. Barion mainly played about like a HS player, because Woodward/Coen never taught him better. He could do that in HS, and it's a testament to his ability that he can still do it somewhat effectively at this level, but if B7 ever learns how to really run his routes the right way like a devonta smith etc look out no one will contain the kid ..

That plus they were trying to coach as his buddy. Zero accountability. No matter what he did wrong, it was always gleaming coaches patting him on the head and promising to keep feeding him the ball.

If this staff will hold him accountable and push him to be more technical, the sky is really the limit for him.

They already started that with the media narratives of all the competition in the room and how they will spread around the ball. That's a stark contrast to coen and Woodward constantly talking about only him and making an absurd effort to force feed him.

I definitely hope the kid elevates. It's good for UK and he seems like a good kid. Plus he played hard in the bowl games including the one in Nashville where he had to know he was basically not getting any real chances at good targets.

I believe Barion is a great kid and I seriously doubt his issue is him not trying I think Woodward just couldn't teach him. I imagine that would be hard to do considering Woodward was never a WR or WR coach ...Shorts should be a Major upgrade in teaching over ole Scotty. Barion might be some sort of super freak if he can get it together with a good coach.
When Brown first got here I thought (and still think) he was a similar talent as Luther Burden and I believe in the same class, but Burden took off and became an elite receiver while Barion while he has had his moments hasn't seem to develop into nearly what his talent suggests. I agree that the Shorts/Hamden combo is just what he needs to get on track and have a supercharged year this season.

Much more verbal than Coen with more energy. Will the O feed off that? Could be a dynamite offense!

No inside info, but just everything I observed looked like coen had his guys. If he connected with you, he'd do anything to help you. If not, then good luck.

I think that proved out too in his ultimate move to reconnect with Baker.

I hate we (mainly looking at myself) continue to compare, but I think there is no avoiding it with not much else to discuss

Reactions: UKfirst
One thing that Hamdan said in his initial press conference that I liked , he wants to run some some pro stuff but it has to be translatable to the college game . I think Liam and ESPECIALLY Scangarello had some problems with that . The hash mark dimensions and being allowed to jam receivers more than 5 yards off the line of scrimmage influences how effective some of those things translate.
You also can’t make things too complicated for college players to digest.

One thing that Hamdan said in his initial press conference that I liked , he wants to run some some pro stuff but it has to be translatable to the college game . I think Liam and ESPECIALLY Scangarello had some problems with that . The hash mark dimensions and being allowed to jam receivers more than 5 yards off the line of scrimmage influences how effective some of those things translate.
You also can’t make things too complicated for college players to digest.
Best news to hear really. I feel like scang couldn't teach college kids. I feel like Coen was more relatable to the Kids, but he tried to squeeze a round ball in a square hole which also doesn't work out well with college kids. .

Say what you want but Eddie gran maximized his personell by scheming to what they do well instead of just saying here it is you have to do it this way.

Best news to hear really. I feel like scang couldn't teach college kids. I feel like Coen was more relatable to the Kids, but he tried to squeeze a round ball in a square hole which also doesn't work out well with college kids. .

Say what you want but Eddie gran maximized his personell by scheming to what they do well instead of just saying here it is you have to do it this way.
I agree, but at some point he had to develop a passing game. He failed as a recruiter to get good QB/WR which forced him to become run oriented team. His last year they couldn't put up 100 yards passing against any SEC level defense!

I agree, but at some point he had to develop a passing game. He failed as a recruiter to get good QB/WR which forced him to become run oriented team. His last year they couldn't put up 100 yards passing against any SEC level defense!
Oh I'm not defending Eddie or his time here. He had to go no question but I believe he was more of a victim of circumstance than anything else. I believe if Gran changed his name to chuck smith and everyone forgot what he looked like, he could be really successful.

He had to go ground and pound and when you don't have a QB capable of throwing to your WR it's kinda hard to recruit decent WRs

Reactions: Soupbean
Chicken and egg argument, was his offense one dimensional because he didn't have the players or did QB and receiver talent simply not want to come here and play in his offense? I lean towards the latter because while Gran had a lot of success running the ball and to some degree short passing game, his play calling was about us unimaginative and predictable as I have seen. How many times did we see 2 running plays a bubble screen followed by a punt? I use to guess the play he would run presnap based the formation and be right 60% or more of the time.

I can't wait to see the impact headset communications have on CFB & UK offense in 2024. Not sure of the timing if Brad White had experience in his NFL days of headset comms with defense?

Really no excuse whatsoever against running an up tempo O style. As soon as playclock starts, the OC directly tells the QB to his ear the play/formation/blocking scheme.

I can't wait to see the impact headset communications have on CFB & UK offense in 2024. Not sure of the timing if Brad White had experience in his NFL days of headset comms with defense?

Really no excuse whatsoever against running an up tempo O style. As soon as playclock starts, the OC directly tells the QB to his ear the play/formation/blocking scheme.
That's what I like. Get it rolling QB quick huddles to relay info and get to the line. The check with me stuff really hinders tempo.
Probably could've helped Devin this year not have to understand so many signals and that was their excuse as to why he was off and why we were so slow. Also reduces risk of play calls being picked up on by the Opponent. Just cover ur mouth with the play sheet and speak it's gotta be more effective than all that jumbly sign language that playcalls can be.

Reactions: JHB4UK
I liked the attention to detail in energy, footwork, and posture. Attention to detail is how talented athletes become good football players.

They say he is tough on everyone, but seems to be fair. All of the hype, however, is typical. Until it is on display in the SEC, we just won’t know.

Oh I'm not defending Eddie or his time here. He had to go no question but I believe he was more of a victim of circumstance than anything else. I believe if Gran changed his name to chuck smith and everyone forgot what he looked like, he could be really successful.

He had to go ground and pound and when you don't have a QB capable of throwing to your WR it's kinda hard to recruit decent WRs
Yeah he got caught without weapons to run an SEC leve passing game and had to adapt. Now part of that was on him to find some of those guys but some of it was circumstances too. People forget Eddie was very successful and put up big numbers at his other stops before he got here and it wasnt ground and pound at all.

Yeah he got caught without weapons to run an SEC leve passing game and had to adapt. Now part of that was on him to find some of those guys but some of it was circumstances too. People forget Eddie was very successful and put up big numbers at his other stops before he got here and it wasnt ground and pound at all.
No but Eddie Gran was a top flight RB coach at a number of SEC schools, coached many top SEC RBs in his career.

The job he did with the '19 O was masterful, a great coaching job. Lynn Bowden was well suited for that O.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
Shorts said that Hamden is a task master in practice for both players and coaches. Everyone is saying how he does not mix words, but everyone says they appreciate it. We know Wolford is a tough coach, as well. Discipline and fundamentals seem to be the overriding message this spring. Get tough, be disciplined, and don’t stop because it is summer.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Shorts said that Hamden is a task master in practice for both players and coaches. Everyone is saying how he does not mix words, but everyone says they appreciate it. We know Wolford is a tough coach, as well. Discipline and fundamentals seem to be the overriding message this spring. Get tough, be disciplined, and don’t stop because it is summer.

The wr room especially needed it. Key and brown were virtually cheated of two years of development because their coach and coen treated them as pals and equals. Neither saw any noticable improvement whatsoever.

The wr room especially needed it. Key and brown were virtually cheated of two years of development because their coach and coen treated them as pals and equals. Neither saw any noticable improvement whatsoever.

Everything about Brown says he is serious about getting better. Have not heard much about Key. Maybe because it is assumed he has been that all along? Not sure. But, Bush and Shorts make it clear (sounds like an adult cartoon, Bush ‘n Shorts) that both are future pros.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT