ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Cal knows who we are getting...

Bigkyfan10

Sophomore
Jan 12, 2005
He recently said to expect one maybe two commitments. To me that means Mulder is one that he knows we are getting. The second person could be Diallo or Murray. Personally I don't think we get Diallo, Ingram, Maker, or Brown. I think we get Mulder and the second person coach Cal is referring to is Murray not Diallo. I think Cal knows Diallo isn't coming to UK and that's why he said one or two and not two or three

Last edited:
Could be but we will see. I think we have Mulder in the bag and could add Murray and Diallo. If not our line up is still top 10.

Ulis
Briscoe
Mulder
Poythress
Skal

Lee
Matthews
Willis
Hawkins

I think Cal's comment about Lee and Poythress and it being their time now should make it clear that we are not getting Diallo. Murray is the "maybe two".

He knew he was getting T. Jones too, until he didn't. Then he did.

According to MJ, he knew we were getting Zimmerman for months. Until he didn't.

Nobody knows until they sign the papers.

Reactions: bigc45157
Agree. I think Maker may commit as well if eligible but he wouldn't play half the year anyways. Mulder and Murray make us top 5 easily though.

The only thing he knows is we aren't getting Diallo...which is why he's been really talking up Lee.

Mulder and Murray would be nice. I think we have an outside shot at Brown now. I would love to see the following line up Tyler, IB, Brown, AP, skal. perimeter players are more important with 3 point shooting. Maybe Brown is a pipe dream. GBB

I think Cal's comment about Lee and Poythress and it being their time now should make it clear that we are not getting Diallo. Murray is the "maybe two".
That's what I'm thinking too, but if he isn't considering Murray to be in the 2015 class yet since he hasn't reclassified, then "maybe two" could be Diallo

People are taking the 1 or 2 more players signing too literally. If he can add 3 I think he will do it. I think the only player he know he has is Mulder. I'm not buying that he knows where Diallo is going yet, as Diallo may not even know that.

Not necessarily. Even with Diallo, they have the chance to play and show their stuff. He also said that he is building this team around Ulis, but still went after Newman, Murray and Mulder.

My question relates to the threads lately about the 3 spot... If any of the above situations become our lineup and the class ends there. That's a 3 guard lineup in my eyes, granted I'm no coach, but my question is, do we play a 3 guard lineup all season? Cal is outstanding at adjusting playing style to players abilities, I think he would see any of those guard heavy lineups and adjust accordingly. I wouldn't mind it all, but how successful do you all feel we could be with our current roster plus, mulder and Murray? I think that is a scoring roster with a pretty good defense, not quite great.

My question relates to the threads lately about the 3 spot... If any of the above situations become our lineup and the class ends there. That's a 3 guard lineup in my eyes, granted I'm no coach, but my question is, do we play a 3 guard lineup all season? Cal is outstanding at adjusting playing style to players abilities, I think he would see any of those guard heavy lineups and adjust accordingly. I wouldn't mind it all, but how successful do you all feel we could be with our current roster plus, mulder and Murray? I think that is a scoring roster with a pretty good defense, not quite great.

That's how I think we will play it, especially if we are able to land Murray and Mulder.

I love the idea of having 3 fundamentally sound guards out there at all times with two athletic bigs. Our frontcourt right now is certainly solid enough for a deep run in March/April and to even win it all, but it could be outstanding with just one more really good addition. The Final Four this year showed that you can get by with an adequate-to-good defense so long as you have a high powered offense with fast guards and good 3 shooters (and some help from the stripes).

I think youre right about Murray and Mulder, but I think he was hedging a bit by just saying 1-2 more players. Diallo is still in play imo and I think Cal is right there waiting on his commitment, maybe thats who he meant when he said something about "waiting to hear from some?"

Cal will take 3 or 4 more players to round out the roster. My gut says Brown, Mulder, and Diallo

Dialo has said from the beginning he is looking for major playing time and a offense that will show his abilities. With Cal saying lately that its Lee's and Poythress time to shine that is a clear cut sign that he's aware of Dialo going somewhere else. Cal plays the recruiting word game better than anyone else and wouldn't say that of he thought Dialo was a possibility. We will have to roll with the big's we have and hope that Lee and Willis can give us good production this year. Still holding hope for a wing in Brown or Ingram and late addition of Murray. Injuries will play a big roll into how far we can go next year. If we lose anyone it could be a ugly year.

Cal's words are coach's speak. He will say it's "their time" to motivate Lee and Poy to produce. Don't believe there was any hint of what Diallo is going to do in his speech. Heck, he probably doesn't even know yet.

Reactions: *Bleedingblue*
The only thing he knows is we aren't getting Diallo...which is why he's been really talking up Lee.
He's trying to convince himself about Lee, kind of whistling past the graveyard. Bless him, the guy has zero offensive game other than lobs and one foot put backs.

Yes he would talk lee and poy up . No matter if UK gets diallo UK needs lee and poy to have big years. It has nothing to do with recruiting. He's just motivating his players.

Dude you have no clue what you're talking about.
Yes he would talk lee and poy up . No matter if UK gets diallo UK needs lee and poy to have big years. It has nothing to do with recruiting. He's just motivating his players.
Do you think we get Diallo? How do we stand with Brown?

Mulder and Murray would be nice. I think we have an outside shot at Brown now. I would love to see the following line up Tyler, IB, Brown, AP, skal. perimeter players are more important with 3 point shooting. Maybe Brown is a pipe dream. GBB

Could be - fairly obvious that Brown and Newman couldn't coexist on the same team.

We need Brown's game whereas Newman had to know he was behind Ullis at PG and had to beat out Briscoe for PT.

Brown on the other hand would only have to beat Matthews for extended PT at the 3.

If it came down to Brown or Newman, it's Brown by a mile, all day everyday.

Why do you people think you know what Cal knows or any plans he may have?

Murray is the most important. We can be alright with Poy at the 4 and Skal at the 5. But we have to have a big time scoring guard.
I'm skeptical as to what UK'll get out of Poythress. ACL is a serious injury for an athlete, who knows when or even if he can return to where he was. To me anything positive UK gets from him is gravy.

Murray is the most important. We can be alright with Poy at the 4 and Skal at the 5. But we have to have a big time scoring guard.[/QUOTE

Exactly and if we don't land Murray it will be a long season, because we aren't landing Brown or Ingram.

Dialo has said from the beginning he is looking for major playing time and a offense that will show his abilities. With Cal saying lately that its Lee's and Poythress time to shine that is a clear cut sign that he's aware of Dialo going somewhere else. Cal plays the recruiting word game better than anyone else and wouldn't say that of he thought Dialo was a possibility. We will have to roll with the big's we have and hope that Lee and Willis can give us good production this year. Still holding hope for a wing in Brown or Ingram and late addition of Murray. Injuries will play a big roll into how far we can go next year. If we lose anyone it could be a ugly year.

Got to agree with Bobcat and particularly regarding injuries to out bigs this year and being the difference in a very good season and one that could get ugly. We just won't have the depth in the front court we have seen this year (how often will we ever really see that?) and an injury or bad foul problems could really hurt us for the season and/or a big game in the tourney. That's the part where I have been concerned all along. Wish we could have gotten one of those big man transfers but I can't blame anyone for wanting to go somewhere to get more instant playing time. I think the comments Cal made about Lee and Poythress could be rather telling, like some are suggesting and shouldn't just be passed off lightly. Sure, I would love to think we are going to get Diallo but I'm beginning to think that is more a dream than reality. We've got a good team, especially if we add a shooter or two, so let's wait and see what happens over the next week or so.

Reactions: Bobcat94
Everything Cal does and says is for recruiting. I'm not saying he wouldn't build Poy and Lee both up but he would wait until after Dialo makes his decision known unless he already knows what hes going to do. As slick as He is in the recruiting game do you think he would say that 2 players at Dialo's position is there time to shine if he thought it would affect Dialo's decision? Dialo has made it known that he wants big minutes and he wants the offense run for him. I think he already knows that he's going elsewhere. I hope I'm wrong because we need depth down low.

If we are going to have a really good year we need two more good scorers and another big. The people that say they are fine with what we have now makes me cringe. Yeah, we have 2 or 3 star types and the rest are more like roll type players that will give us a little here and a little there and nothing consistently.

We do not have the scorers to be a very good team at this point. And if something happened to Skal we would lose a lot of games. Even with Skal, could envision Ulis and Briscoe being pretty consistent night in and night out. All the others will be up, down and all around. Those roll type players are good enough if they are put with 4 or 5 really good players.

If we get Mulder and Murray that would be enough probably to carry the scoring load with Skal, Briscoe and Ulis. Diallo would make us really good if we did the two scorers because Skal will not be on the floor all the time. Against a good big team we would be overpowered inside if Skal wasn't out there. Just need that other big body that can rebound and defend at a high level.

Reactions: *Bleedingblue*
Everything Cal does and says is for recruiting. I'm not saying he wouldn't build Poy and Lee both up but he would wait until after Dialo makes his decision known unless he already knows what hes going to do. As slick as He is in the recruiting game do you think he would say that 2 players at Dialo's position is there time to shine if he thought it would affect Dialo's decision? Dialo has made it known that he wants big minutes and he wants the offense run for him. I think he already knows that he's going elsewhere. I hope I'm wrong because we need depth down low.

Exactly

Yet people think he is going to Kansas where they already have a 3 yr starter in Perry Ellis entrenched in the starting line up at the 4 spot where Diallo would play?? Plus they are bringing in Bragg who is more of a 4 than a 3 just like Poythress.. So I just don't understand the rationale that Poythress and Lee will scare off Diallo, but yet Ellis and Bragg among others at Kansas won't.. Doesn't make sense..

And I can almost guarantee you that Calipari will not go into the season with less than 10 scholarship players. He saw how that worked out en route to the NIT and even mentioned after he would not short himself players like that again. He has also seen injuries and how quick they can happen so I just don't see us not signing 3 more players to give us that cushion and depth you need..

I agree that he will sign players to atleast give depth but with what's left especially bigs is little to none after Diallo. Can't see cal just giving a scholarship just for depth if they can't play and give some kind addition to the team. This is one year when I feel he made so e bad decisions on choosing who to target. We could of had some quality players that he chose for some reason not to take. I think you will see him do different in the future.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT