ADVERTISEMENT

Football Co-DC Chris Collins' deep dive on Dru Phillips

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
UK corners coach and co-DC Chris Collins spoke with Giants.com about Dru Phillips and wanted to share some highlights from that conversation.

** Collins is currently on the road recruiting but wanted to take the time to talk about Dru Phillips, who he calls a remarkable human being. He comes from a great family and a great support structure. Both parents are supportive, siblings are close in age and relationship. His family background is where it starts. They were very influential in his time at UK and his development there. Called Phillips a phenomenal teammate, someone who really grew in Kentucky's culture.

** In a nutshell Phillips is selfless who will do anything he can to help the people around him be successful.

** Noted his dad was a linebacker at Kentucky. Said his parents were very involved but they were never hands on in terms of what Kentucky was doing. Gave him a good distance so Collins, Stoops, White, Edmonds, Hill, etc. could do their work while he matures like every young man should.

** In Collins' second year, Phillips was going into spring practice playing really good football. Going into that season had almost solidified himself as an outside corner and an inside corner. UK brought in Keidron Smith as well. Smith was a great teammate and a pro in his approach as well. They went into fall camp neck and neck battling for that outside corner position. Based off the spring and going into fall camp they rotated in the first two games. Keidron had a great game against Florida, being from there, and from that moment UK went with Keidron as starting outside corner with Dru at nickel. Collins said some kids could have pouted, complained. They brought him in for a conversation and a plan, but Phillips "didn't bat an eye". His response was, "Coach I want to play football and do whatever I can to help the team win." Collins said in this day and age you don't always get that response. He could have very easily transferred. Stood on being a phenomenal teammate.

** The athletic traits were always there. Athletically in terms of the movement and weight room those were always there. Always had the desire to put in more field work and more in the weight room. God blessed him with those traits. Where he grew and was an active participant was in learning the game. That's where over the last three seasons his development took off. "It was intentional work" and he was an active participant. He always had the tools but about when/how to use those tools. The mental aspect is where you saw the most growth. Average fan says "hey that was a great play" but there's a lot that goes into being in position and knowing when to take those chances.

** Collins said playing outside and inside are "two different worlds". Dru moving inside and digesting that helped him grow as a player. The pieces around you are happening quicker and the things happening around you matter more than being on that island. Accelerated his growth because he dove into it and didn't resist it. A lot of guys might have had a problem and it could have stunted his development there.

** The Giants reporter says tackling is what shows up on tape with Phillips, an eagerness to tackle. Collins said that willingness to tackle helped them put him at the slot spot. He showed physicality all the way through with his tenacity on special teams. Getting off blocks, making tackles, making guys miss in space. He did that on special teams so they were confident he could transition into that role on defense. He puts his stamp on the game with his physicality just as much as with his skill set. Knowing when to make the big hits is part of the mental development that occurred.

** The reporter noted that sometimes Phillips wouldn't wrap up. Make the big hit instead of the form tackle. Collins said that's growth. Playing outside adds a little bit too that because it happens so fast playing inside. Boom-boom. Playing outside there's time and space. Knowing when to take those shots is important. He grew in that regard. Collins said they talk approach angles more than most coaches, some guys like it and some guys think it's too much, but Collins said you have to be good at that. Collins was critical on that point throughout the years, lets be fundamentally sound in tackling. "He took to that," and in the back half of the season he wasn't missing those same plays. The intentionality about his work was big. Collins knows he will be successful because he's intentional, he's a sponge, and he's a participant in the process.

** Asked if he was better inside or outside at corner, Collins said he has a high instinct for the game. He grew in his understanding of when to trust his instincts. In the slot you have more freedom to trust those instincts. Playing outside "if I don't make it nobody will" type scenario, but on Day 1 those instincts will help him in the slot. As he grows Collins believes he has position versatility. As he grows he will be able to digest more. Believes he'll start best in slot and growing from there.

** Mentioned that UK plays mostly off coverage and asked where he wants the DB's eyes: "Vision is key," Collins said. "The eyes are key to the soul. You play with dirty eyes you'll have a dirty heart." Understanding my vision points, understanding my depth, my visual keys - really important to being successful, especially in their scheme. They play with vision on the QB at times and give them chances to make plays on the football you wouldn't be able to in strictly man-to-man. Training those eyes as a DB is vital. It's coverage-based, technique-based, alignment-based. When you get into NFL interviews and he can articulate and communicate those things they see he understands football. Understands detail and the level of communication required.

** Brad White does a great job of taking complex systems and teaching them simply. As they grow, getting from Level 1 to Level 2 and 3 and understanding when I can take chances, when I shouldn't take those chances, knowing eye placement in this coverage vs another coverage, there's not a direct "this is what he's looking at" because it depends on what they're doing. But understanding those pieces allows him to be a guy who has versatility.

** Collins said he was at a HS today and he heard a guy was getting cooked. He actually graded out very well but was just the closest guy to the football. That's all you see as fans. Fans think its always the fault of the guy who is closest to the football. The devil's in the details.

** In the interview it was pointed out that you don't have control over when picks come. Didn't have a pick at Kentucky. Collins said when you watch the film he's in position but a lot of the times a QB won't give him an opportunity with the throw. As a coach you're trying to protect a player from himself. He wants to go get it. Collins said he's in position, don't always have to do something extra. To Phillips' credit, as bad as he often wanted to make a play, it wasn't his responsibility. He's a team guy.

** In the spring he led UK in production in terms of INTs. He can catch. QBs will be a little looser in the spring than the fall. For some guys the ball falls their way, they get a few picks but you watch the tape and the fundamentals are off. The ball will eventually find him.

** Will he be ready to go into man-to-man? Collins said they play a good bit of zone but it turns into man based on spacing. Match the guy in your area and follow him. They work on press coverage every day. It's like golf, you can never get enough work on it. Literally every day they work on it. He's one of their better man guys but in the slot they didn't ask him to press a lot. Out wide playing the field corner because of the spacing you don't get as many opportunities to play down. Not giving the QB the easy tell; play off with man vision.

** Against Louisville there was a hitch. They thought he was in zone but he was in man and gets the PBU, because he allowed them to think what he wanted in terms of playing off. "That's our rival so I hope they don't hear that, they'll go back and change it next year," laughing.

** The Giants reporter said a lot of SEC DBs didn't look so good against Pearsall and some other WRs but said Phillips looked good against Pearsall. Collins said it's every week in the SEC, it never ends. To guys who play in the SEC especially at corner, the level of talent you're going against is second to none. Collins said Phillips embraced challenges every week. Sometimes you win the matchups, sometimes you don't. Mental and physical toughness are essential there. At times he fought through injuries, some guys wouldn't have played but Phillips did. Never used it as a crutch or excuse. Lots of guys in the league he looked forward to playing against and he elevated in those moments.

** Asked when UK is trailing running deep, do they play the ball in the hands (never look back), others want you to look back. What does Kentucky want? Collins said that's a two-answer question. First it depends on whether in phase or out of phase vs that vertical 1 on 1 ball. If they're in phase we're pinning the hips, getting eyes back and turning to the WR. Depending on what coverage they're in. True man to man call and only have to worry about 1 WR, they're playing with eyes back and will locate. But do it through a man turn mentality, my eyes are on my guy and take them to the sky. If I'm out of phase, I'm not in a position to look back and play the football. Strictly playing the man through the pocket, trying to get to the opposite hand as we're punching to that small target, the football, and the big target, the opposite elbow and trying to be violent on the rake. They practice those things relentlessly. Press and deep ball they work on every opportunity. Dru does the extra work.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News