ADVERTISEMENT

Chuck Martin says “Ugonna was really good yesterday. He looked healthy. He looked strong. He looked really good defensively.”

Well, the way this team has stopped drived into the lane this year I guess more shot blocking can't hurt much...

Reactions: Fox2monk
As I read in the "Ugonna will Play Against UNC" thread this is just more really horrible news for Kentucky basketball. A strong, healthy, mobile 7-footer who "looks really good defensively" on the bench against a team that focuses on Armando Bacot? Please, just make it stop...
This is what you call a baiting post, which after watches such a good interview we don’t need this

Ugonna is most intriguing because he had 6 blocks in the scrimmage in Canada before injuring himself. Totally worked on and transformed his body like Thiero. Could surprise a lot of fans not expecting much out of him.
Small sample size but his per 40 numbers last year were an eye popping 14points, 15 rebounds, and 6 blocks. I thought he looked decent last year and showed some touch around the rim. The defensive potential is obvious.

Edit: To give y’all a comp of another low usage player, Lance Ware’s per 40 average for his career is 7/9.5/1.7. Even if Ugonna is only a foul trouble reserve this year, we are getting a pretty huge upgrade in that role.

Last edited:
Go back and watch the Ugonna highlights. The guy has some touch around the rim. He gets down the floor pretty easily. Give him a few games. He can definitely help this team. He has decent hands. Good timing on blocking shots and doesn't fall for a lot of ball fakes. Look at his defense on Dickheadson and he scored on him.

Cal will go big

Wagner
Edwards
Thiero
Bradshaw
Ugonna

Cal is hooking up the plow to Ugonna as I type.

The Twin Towers/Positionless players.
Cal’s dream come true!

Rock Fights in 3, 2, 1…..

• Wow
Reactions: mcwildcats04
Go back and watch the Ugonna highlights. The guy has some touch around the rim. He gets down the floor pretty easily. Give him a few games. He can definitely help this team. He has decent hands. Good timing on blocking shots and doesn't fall for a lot of ball fakes. Look at his defense on Dickheadson and he scored on him.

Ugo is not a stiff. He'll be productive. Everybody chill out.

He showed a good rebound knack last season. He rebounded out of area. He didn't know much of what to do once he got it. But that was then, this is now.

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-

You had me until you referenced his defense against Dickinson. Ol’ floppy backed Ugo down multiple times on consecutive possessions for easy buckets, to the point that Cal had to put Oscar back in. But otherwise you are spot on.

You had me until you referenced his defense against Dickinson. Ol’ floppy backed Ugo down multiple times on consecutive possessions for easy buckets, to the point that Cal had to put Oscar back in. But otherwise you are spot on.
I disagree. Was he AD/Noel vs Dickinson? No! But he didn’t do bad vs him. 7min, 4pt, 2reb, 2blk, 1f. And we know Dickinson fouls guys a lot on offense.
Plus Onyenso has gotten a lot stronger since then, so less likely to get backed down.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
I'm not expecting much out of Ugonna at this point, but I do want to acknowledge that he does have potential. He showed it in flashes early last season when he was getting minutes.

Would love to have a Bradshaw/Ugonna rotation at the 5 and a Mitchell/Adou rotation at the 4. In that scenario, I think it could work out well.

But we will see what happens. I've committed to keeping an open mind with this group, because there's just so many young weapons there and a lot can change really quickly, from game to game.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
I disagree. Was he AD/Noel vs Dickinson? No! But he didn’t do bad vs him. 7min, 4pt, 2reb, 2blk, 1f. And we know Dickinson fouls guys a lot on offense.
Plus Onyenso has gotten a lot stronger since then, so less likely to get backed down.
I’m not saying he won’t play stronger this year (he will), but Dickinson definitely had his way with Ugo in the short stretch he played. Nothing wrong with that. He’s a different player now, and yes, Hunter is a whiny b@tch.

Even though I think he has nice touch out to 15', when Onyenso plays, I think he has to play with whoever is our best outside shooting 4, whether that is Mitchell or Bradshaw (or if ever eligible Ivisic). Can't be with Theiro (even though I love what he brings to the floor). And I don't think we'll see any more Edwards at the 4.

I didn't say it was every time. In the highlight package he had a nice block against the guy. Dickhead is quite a bit better as a player so he was likely to win the matchup, I dont know, 75% of the time if not more. That at least shows a glimmer of hope that he can play defense on this level against talented players. That's all I was saying.

I didn't say it was every time. In the highlight package he had a nice block against the guy. Dickhead is quite a bit better as a player so he was likely to win the matchup, I dont know, 75% of the time if not more. That at least shows a glimmer of hope that he can play defense on this level against talented players. That's all I was saying.
Yep, I’m with you. Looking forward to seeing what he can do!

Sounds good to me. The Wildcats will need everybody contributing, when they play the "Dirty Tar Heels".

Reactions: Smashcat
I’m not saying he won’t play stronger this year (he will), but Dickinson definitely had his way with Ugo in the short stretch he played. Nothing wrong with that. He’s a different player now, and yes, Hunter is a whiny b@tch.
That's not necessarily a black mark anyway - has there been anyone HD hasn't dominated?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT