ADVERTISEMENT

Christian Conyer in the portal

I guess its to the point you cant get too discouraged to lose a hgih school kid or get too excited about getting a high school kid....they move on if they don't get all the PT they want in year 1

Then you have to look at why they aren't getting the pt. If they just aren't translating, maybe a change helps maybe it doesn't. If they have their head up their a$$ nothing helps. If the current team loaded up on elite talent, that's another different story.

Pretty impressive how stoops and Co have almost batted 1000 on the portal. They must really do their homework and background on these guys before getting involved. No idea where they have time.

Reminder, even if we wanted him or he wanted to come here it can't happen - SEC spring portal rule. No intra conference April transfers.

Maybe UL or WKU

Then you have to look at why they aren't getting the pt. If they just aren't translating, maybe a change helps maybe it doesn't. If they have their head up their a$$ nothing helps. If the current team loaded up on elite talent, that's another different story.

Pretty impressive how stoops and Co have almost batted 1000 on the portal. They must really do their homework and background on these guys before getting involved. No idea where they have time.

It also means UK's NIL is better than alot want to admit. Nothing wrong with it either, just where we are in college football today. UGA's is better than we have been led to believe too.

It also means UK's NIL is better than alot want to admit. Nothing wrong with it either, just where we are in college football today. UGA's is better than we have been led to believe too.
Have argued this a lot recently. People were convinced Cal left UK because the administration sucks with NIL, but the football program has no issue whatsoever. No way was it administration.

Stoops is damn near perfect for UK because hes very blue collar. That will connect with the fanbase and boosters. It quite clearly has. While its not OSU's 10-13 Million, its obviously pretty good. Youll never get a top QB transfer for cheap. In fact, id wager what people get in NIL mirrors what NFL teams prioritize in salary.

Our football program has no issues with NIL!?!?! Have we been signing top 10 recruiting classes and I didn't notice!?!?

UK football NIL (as I understand it) is funded by a tiny few boosters. And is just enough to pay our best 12-15 players good $$ and they don't enter the portal shopping. Most SEC programs above us are paying 40-50 guys .

So good enough to be a 7-5 program. Maintain what we were before NIL arrived.
Not paying enough to be better than that IMO.

I get that nil matters and is a reality but it has also become one of the standard crutches for coaches and admins why something isn’t going well because it’s a way to put it on someone else. NIl has to come from fans/donors. Now when they get to the point of revenue share through the actual income to the universities it changes.

I guess its to the point you cant get too discouraged to lose a hgih school kid or get too excited about getting a high school kid....they move on if they don't get all the PT they want in year 1
It looks like the system that's going to work itself out is might work out like this. Solid 3/low 4, who aren't quite good enough to play 1st year or two at P5, go mid major, so they can develop on the field. Avg P5 teams take mid to low 3 star guys that know and are comfortable sitting for a few years and developing in practice, then P5 teams re-recruit those guys up from the mid-major teams to come start in whatever areas of need they have. If I'm a coach, I'm more interested in a proven/productive mid-major player than a HS recruit who isn't elite, NIL cost notwithstanding.

Reactions: Tf2217 and K_TIME
Pretty impressive how stoops and Co have almost batted 1000 on the portal. They must really do their homework and background on these guys before getting involved. No idea where they have the time.
Neither did the former Mrs. Stoops, I gather.

Our football program has no issues with NIL!?!?! Have we been signing top 10 recruiting classes and I didn't notice!?!?

UK football NIL (as I understand it) is funded by a tiny few boosters. And is just enough to pay our best 12-15 players good $$ and they don't enter the portal shopping. Most SEC programs above us are paying 40-50 guys .

Have you been living under a rock? Two 10-win seasons in the last 7 years. Some players don't think like you do. BTW, have you donated to 15 this year?

You can’t just buy a good team. A&M tried and started this whole NIL mess. They got worse and fired the coach. Pay undisciplined kids a lot of money and you get trash. It’s a fine line between culture, organization and spreading a little cash around that seems to work best.

You can’t just buy a good team. A&M tried and started this whole NIL mess. They got worse and fired the coach. Pay undisciplined kids a lot of money and you get trash. It’s a fine line between culture, organization and spreading a little cash around that seems to work best.

Right. Garbage in, garbage out.

Reactions: delk4three
Right. Garbage in, garbage out.
I didn’t agree with a lot of what coach Cal was doing at the end of his tenure but…. He said if a kids first question was how much, he stopped recruiting him. That’s fine for freshman but transfers have proven worth. He should have gotten Dickinson last year. A&M paid freshman to commit. They coasted that year in strip clubs then hit the portal. You gotta prove your worth. After all, you are supposed to be getting money for your Name correct? I despise the term NIL. Freshman have almost zero NIL worth. I use PFP. Pay for play

I get that nil matters and is a reality but it has also become one of the standard crutches for coaches and admins why something isn’t going well because it’s a way to put it on someone else. NIl has to come from fans/donors. Now when they get to the point of revenue share through the actual income to the universities it changes.

Exactly, and is what is scaring the ACC teams that want to be good. Right now they are looking at about half what the BIG and SEC are getting. If that doesn't change they won't be a factor very long after revenue sharing kicks in. I guess we can all expect the cost of attending games to go up, 29 bucks for a coke.

• Sad
Reactions: Lost In FL
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT