ADVERTISEMENT

Chip Kelly

The trend of G5 head coaches going to P5 schools as coordinators was one thing...this is an entirely different thing.

I think he fails as an OC. Hiring a guy whose offense averaged 26.5ppg this past season is an interesting one. The Oregon Chip Kelly is not walking through that door.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
He was probably going to be fired and wanted to save face. I bet there was a lower negotiated buyout.
If he was going to be fired, they would have already done it. Programs don't wait 2 months after their final game of the season to fire a guy. Hot seat...yeah, but they weren't firing him this year.

Reactions: JDHoss
The trend of G5 head coaches going to P5 schools as coordinators was one thing...this is an entirely different thing.

I think he fails as an OC. Hiring a guy whose offense averaged 26.5ppg this past season is an interesting one. The Oregon Chip Kelly is not walking through that door.
He’ll have a few more weapons than he did at UCLA. Will be interesting to see how he does and how much freedom Ryan Day gives him.

Reactions: Kybluedude
He’ll have a few more weapons than he did at UCLA. Will be interesting to see how he does and how much freedom Ryan Day gives him.
He will absolutely have more talent. Chip is a 60 year old coach who could only muster 7 points against Utah, Arizona State and Cal last year. And I'm a big Chip fan...I was at Oregon from 2008 - 2016 during the Chip years and it was a ton of fun. Who knows, maybe he will have success....I'm just not sure it's going to be as homerun as it appears to be.

My perception was that Kelly did OK at UCLA. Seems like they were pretty consistently around 7-5 or 8-4 with bowl appearances. Not sure what UCLA actually expects, TBH. They haven't been a team to watch on the national stage for quite a while.

From HC to OC, even at OSU, is a very surprising move, imo. Kelly's offense, in my estimation, doesn't really fit with what OSU has done in the most recent past. They've definitely had some RPO but their passing attack (and the WRs) have been elite for several years now. Will Kelly reinvent his offense to be more NFL-ish or will he continue to play the way he's played for many years now? Odd move by OSU/Day, imo.

My perception was that Kelly did OK at UCLA. Seems like they were pretty consistently around 7-5 or 8-4 with bowl appearances. Not sure what UCLA actually expects, TBH. They haven't been a team to watch on the national stage for quite a while.

From HC to OC, even at OSU, is a very surprising move, imo. Kelly's offense, in my estimation, doesn't really fit with what OSU has done in the most recent past. They've definitely had some RPO but their passing attack (and the WRs) have been elite for several years now. Will Kelly reinvent his offense to be more NFL-ish or will he continue to play the way he's played for many years now? Odd move by OSU/Day, imo.
Day has said the OC will be running the “Ryan Day” offense and not installing their own. Possibly some minor tweaks but overall no major changes. Day wanted someone he trusted to turn the play calling over to so he could focus on being the head coach. He played for Chip Kelly and was also an assistant under Kelly. So, there is a long relationship there.

Reactions: 54runner
Posted earlier OSU is desperate, lost 3 in a row to Mich, Mich won NC, they been buying every player that has hit the portal, even a couple before they hit it. Going to make a prediction, if they are not 24 NC Day is fired even at 15-1. They just bought Kelly's contract, paying him whatever it is on top of spending 20m for their 24 class.

OSU is going nationwide with their recruiting, so more top kids in Ohio will be heading out of state.

But why Kelly, sure he will have better players, but so will the other teams.

Posted earlier OSU is desperate, lost 3 in a row to Mich, Mich won NC, they been buying every player that has hit the portal, even a couple before they hit it. Going to make a prediction, if they are not 24 NC Day is fired even at 15-1. They just bought Kelly's contract, paying him whatever it is on top of spending 20m for their 24 class.

OSU is going nationwide with their recruiting, so more top kids in Ohio will be heading out of state.

But why Kelly, sure he will have better players, but so will the other teams.
Their collectives have definitely stepped up their game. However, they’re only bringing in six transfer portal players which is hardly “buying every player that hits the portal”. Their biggest NIL impact has been convincing a bunch of NFL draft eligible juniors to come back for a senior season, which I think is more of what NIL was supposed to be.

Day may leave on his own but he won’t be fired if he goes 15-1. That’s just crazy.

Also, do you have a link that backs the 20M for the 24 class?

Their collectives have definitely stepped up their game. However, they’re only bringing in six transfer portal players which is hardly “buying every player that hits the portal”. Their biggest NIL impact has been convincing a bunch of NFL draft eligible juniors to come back for a senior season, which I think is more of what NIL was supposed to be.

Day may leave on his own but he won’t be fired if he goes 15-1. That’s just crazy.

Also, do you have a link that backs the 20M for the 24 class?

Of course every player was an exaggeration, but they brought in an AA S, an all SEC level back who was a frosh AA, a 5* QB who had been at Bama 2 weeks. They brought in everyone might help them win a championship, I don't see how anyone can debate they don't have the best transfer class.

Of course every player was an exaggeration, but they brought in an AA S, an all SEC level back who was a frosh AA, a 5* QB who had been at Bama 2 weeks. They brought in everyone might help them win a championship, I don't see how anyone can debate they don't have the best transfer class.
Yes, it’s low quantity but high quality. The QB from AL (Sayin) actually called Day to see if he could transfer in. OSU has another 5* QB coming in this year and wasn’t planning to go after Sayin. However, it’s hard to say no to the top rated QB in the class, especially when he comes knocking on your door.

Reactions: albundy83
Personally I think it is sad the Chip Kelly of Oregon early 2010's died in the NFL and never fully recovered his old spirit. Those teams were special to watch. The version of him at UCLA...wasn't him at all, boring, passionless.

I mean Bill O Brien...that dude just hops around. Treated Columbus like it was a connecting flight to Bean town.

Kelly at OSU is very interesting. He knows the Pac schools coming in. Even if he's a tapered off version of his peak, he's still one of the great minds of his coaching generation.

No stress or pressure of being HC, can just get back to the lab so to speak...play design and call with OSU athletes, the likes of which he didn't have at even his Oregon peak...I'll take a flier on that.

Well played Buckeyes.

They have 3 different generations of great offensive minds. Kelly, Day who was and may still be one of the best of his peer group/generation, and Brian Hartline is an up and comer.

The rich get richer folks. Some programs are playing on another level.

Looks like Former Notre Dame and Alabama Offensive Coordinator and current Cleveland Browns Tight End Coach Tommy Rees is the front runner for the UCLA job

Interesting how offense changes. What works is different from season to season. Chip Kelly and Urban Meyer spread with QB read run game worked for a long time. Then defense started cross reading their option and it stopped that portion of the offense in its tracks. Without that, it's just a regular spread which is nothing earth shattering in its own.

Brad White was one of the first guys to cross read that and it's why we completely stoned those offenses that used to kill us

UCLA will struggle mightily in the BIG. Chip knows that. Why take the heat and pressure? He's made plenty of money. And, if Day ends up in the NFL...

Interesting how offense changes. What works is different from season to season. Chip Kelly and Urban Meyer spread with QB read run game worked for a long time. Then defense started cross reading their option and it stopped that portion of the offense in its tracks. Without that, it's just a regular spread which is nothing earth shattering in its own.

Brad White was one of the first guys to cross read that and it's why we completely stoned those offenses that used to kill us

Their systems were game changing, but I think looking back, their recruiting and ability to develop the insane talent within said system was just as impressive.

Those two more than any modern coach, found freak athletes like no one else. Then, more impressively, they got those freak athletes to work and produce at a high level.

Kelly seemed to have specialized in speed and exploiting space.

Meyer specifically could coach QBs...Alex Smith, Tebow, his OSU QBs...all very different generations/make and models, but all very productive and coached to win top tier bowls and play offs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT