ADVERTISEMENT

Chaz Lanier's stats and measurements at G League Elite Camp

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
Lanier measured in at 6-foot-3.75 without shoes at the G League Camp. He had a 6-foot-9 wingspan and weighed in at 196.0 pounds. He had a max vertical of 36.0 inches and a standing vertical of 30.0 inches. Lanier’s full measurements from the G League Elite Camp can be seen here.

In the first game of the camp on Saturday, Lanier had five points on 2-for-4 shooting, going 0-for-1 from the 3-point line. He had three rounds, an assist and a turnover and was a plus-1.

In the camp’s final game on Sunday, Lanier scored five points in 21 minutes, going 1-for-3 from the field (all of his shots came from the 3-point line) while adding two rebounds. He was a plus-10 in his 21 minutes on the floor.

What am I missing here, guy sounds like a very average player?
He has some impressive/athletic-looking highlights, but they're mostly against EKU-level teams. He did make a big leap last year - hadn't done much previously. The big question is how he'll translate to playing a higher level of competition. Apparently didn't exactly light it up at the G League Elite Camp.

The average G-League Elite player is going to be better than the average Power 5 player by a good margin.

It seems like he didn't get many shots. It's hard to know why or read into it without additional information.

Reactions: jrpross
The average G-League Elite player is going to be better than the average Power 5 player by a good margin.

It seems like he didn't get many shots. It's hard to know why or read into it without additional information.

He didn’t get many shots because in those games, there’s little to none team basketball. Those guys jack up a shot every time they touch the ball trying to earn a roster spot. In an organized, structured offense, he will excel.

Reactions: EliteBlue
The thing that surprised me was that he’s bigger than Wooga. Comparing those big 3 options left between Wooga, Chaz, and Jaxson, the first two were measured at the G League event.

Same height, Chaz slightly heavier, longer wingspan, bigger hands. Surprising to me because in my head I had it the opposite way with Wooga being bigger. The 6’9 wingspan in particular would help on the defensive end.

I prioritize mine.

John Oliver Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Wooga had a better weekend than Chaz. Wooga been playing against better opposition for years. I will take Wooga over Chaz + Robinson Almonor. That would fill out the roster for me.

I think Chaz would be very unhappy here. I do not see him starting. Heck he could not start this weekend. Tells you something.

Reactions: delk4three
Wooga had a better weekend than Chaz. Wooga been playing against better opposition for years. I will take Wooga over Chaz + Robinson Almonor. That would fill out the roster for me.

I think Chaz would be very unhappy here. I do not see him starting. Heck he could not start this weekend. Tells you something.

Wooga took 15 shots last game and Lanier took 3. I wouldn't take much away from these 2 games.

Lanier is the starting 2 guard wherever he goes. He absolutely starts at Kentucky.

Wooga took 15 shots last game and Lanier took 3. I wouldn't take much away from these 2 games.
I saw a ton of Poplar but not so much of Chaz. So i picked 2 games that I could find much about the guy, one he had a great game (lesser competition) and one not so well. Again, I am usually incorrect so I understand your view on the guy. I just do not see it. If I am wrong and he plays for UK all the better for me and I have 9 or so months worth of crow to eat, happily.

Again I appreciate your opinion. My opinion is he would not absolutely would not. I will probably be wrong but just my opinion.
Fair. Let’s say he comes to Kentucky, who is starting over him if the roster stays at currently is and they only add Lanier and almanor to it?

Here is my question on Lanier

1. He's a PG/SG combo all the way.
2. We have Butler....who is a PG all the way.
3. We have Krissa who is a Pg/SG combo
4. Brea is a shooter who can play SF or SG....I think he's best suited for SG
5. Oweh is a SG/SF who will split those minutes

Do we project Lanier to be better than Butler and Krissa....and those guys move to lower in depth chart? I see no world where Brea moves to bench.

Here is my question on Lanier

1. He's a PG/SG combo all the way.
2. We have Butler....who is a PG all the way.
3. We have Krissa who is a Pg/SG combo
4. Brea is a shooter who can play SF or SG....I think he's best suited for SG
5. Oweh is a SG/SF who will split those minutes

Do we project Lanier to be better than Butler and Krissa....and those guys move to lower in depth chart? I see no world where Brea moves to bench.
Lanier is better than Kerr Krisa or we better hope he is. Krisa needs to be a bench piece not a starter

Reactions: K_TIME and track42
He didn’t get many shots because in those games, there’s little to none team basketball. Those guys jack up a shot every time they touch the ball trying to earn a roster spot. In an organized, structured offense, he will excel.
Yeah it's hard to say.

Michael Mulder scored more points than Doron Lamb in his NBA career and nobody would have guessed that based on how he played at UK. Performance in one context is not necessarily transferable to another. Unless the player is dominant in 1 or 2 facets, the system is important for performance.

He's not on the draft board from ESPN in the first two rounds.

I hope he comes to UK but if he ends up at UT I really doubt he will be Knecht 2.0. It would be very difficult for anyone to catch lighting in a bottle two years in a row like that. The chances of any portal guy having a Knecht type season are very low regardless of where they go to school. We don't expect him to be Knecht, but that is what UT is selling him on. He will get Knecht type shots, but I don't see the same production.

He has some impressive/athletic-looking highlights, but they're mostly against EKU-level teams. He did make a big leap last year - hadn't done much previously. The big question is how he'll translate to playing a higher level of competition. Apparently didn't exactly light it up at the G League Elite Camp.
Hard to measure in those games. I mean they don’t pass the ball or play any offense. He got 4 shots in 21 minutes.

Reactions: BlueSince92
This is what ppl are missing when they say he had average stats there. Some guys aren’t the type (especially Pgs) that are great in “everybody get theirs” type of games and instead excel when all 5 guys are working to get the best shot…not the first shot. PGs often pass to start the offense and only look to shoot when they get the ball back after the first rotation of ball movement

All that said, he was still +10 in 21 minutes in the second game. +11 overall on the weekend

Reactions: ThrowBackCat9
Lanier measured in at 6-foot-3.75 without shoes at the G League Camp. He had a 6-foot-9 wingspan and weighed in at 196.0 pounds. He had a max vertical of 36.0 inches and a standing vertical of 30.0 inches. Lanier’s full measurements from the G League Elite Camp can be seen here.

In the first game of the camp on Saturday, Lanier had five points on 2-for-4 shooting, going 0-for-1 from the 3-point line. He had three rounds, an assist and a turnover and was a plus-1.

In the camp’s final game on Sunday, Lanier scored five points in 21 minutes, going 1-for-3 from the field (all of his shots came from the 3-point line) while adding two rebounds. He was a plus-10 in his 21 minutes on the floor.

I personally am not on this wagon I dint think he is ready for SEC play

Sick of measurements
Can he play?? That’s the question.
What were Devon Downey’s measurements?
What were Shabazz Napier’s measurements?

Measurements don’t mean shit
I bet there is a shit ton of analysis saying you are wrong.

Measurements are not everything or absolute destiny and every rule has some exceptions but generally the trends will track over time.

Identifying exceptions in order to ignore the rule is always hash.

I bet there is a shit ton of analysis saying you are wrong.

Measurements are not everything or absolute destiny and every rule has some exceptions but generally the trends will track over time.

Identifying exceptions in order to ignore the rule is always hash.
It is a bit ironic that the use of measurements in this scenario is an attempt to find the outliers (exceptions) though is it not?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT