ADVERTISEMENT

Chaz Lanier to visit Mon

Do you honestly think a college kid who is only going to be there 7-8 months is considered about state income tax
With the kids we are recruiting (mature experienced) yes I think they are looking at all variables when making the decision. Your typical freshmen entering college not so much. 21-22 was about the age I started thinking serious about my 401k. Maybe it’s nothing to read into but I consider ever factor when thinking about recruiting

Carr is not a great on ball defender, most of his blocks comes as a help defender. Garrison will get the 5 back up minutes and MAYBE even some back up 4 minutes when the team needs to go big based on matchups. He is really good at the free throw line in the pick and roll / pick and pop. Also, Garrison will be much improved this year, he was only a freshman and held his own in the Big 12 last year, don't underestimate him, he will get plenty of minutes. It wouldn't surprise me if later in the year, he takes some of Williams minutes, not just as a back up. there is a reason Williams got a little upset when Pope signed garrison, he knows it is a possibility..
Not really in disagreement with anything you said but I do want to point out that most of everybody's blocks come as a help defender.

Reactions: ImTheVillageIdiot
My roommates at Murray state were all on the basketball team this last year. Code of ethics would definitely be a big factor for them lol.

Don’t underestimate the pull of women and Booz is all I’m saying haha.
Even a person / soul that does not have issues with girls and booze does not want to be put in a box that says no you cannot / dont and so forth. Pope being mormon did not go to Utah. He went to Washington and then UK.

I know you put dont or no on me and I typically press the issue. I do not mean the law and major things. I am talking about going to Cumberland Falls, scaling over the edge and around the boulders to get under the falls. Things like that. My wifes cousin in 1985/86 was with me (crazy dude) and we went under the falls, he decided he wanted to wet his hair, over the falls he went. He was trained well and came right out no issues. But I know of many a people that have not survived the falls.

Pressure full court defense was a staple of Coach Pitino’s UK teams that CMP played on. Pope did not press much at BYU - don’t know if it was personnel related or or his preference.
I have stated many times in this forum that he pressures with his offense. Constant motion and players cutting hard off multiple screens on most possessions. Defense is more tiring to play than offense. You are reacting to your man which requires more effort and drains you as the game progresses.
It seems that we are going to have 11+ players that could start or play significant minutes at other schools. I do not advocate full court pressing the entire game but believe it would be effective in 3-4 minute spurts. Surprise the opponent, maybe get a few turnovers leading to easy baskets, fatigue them mentally and physically. Maybe you put in a “defensive 5 team” on the floor and exert 4 minutes of He** against them. Substitute the “offensive 5 team@ in and run the cutting action and have them chase.
CMP used 9 to 10 players in the BYU games that I watched. He will definitely have the depth to employ any strategy of play. I cannot wait till the season starts. Not been this excited since the Pitino years and early KOW years. We now have a program first, energetic, hard working, UK man at the helm. He is not just a new face but a knowledgeable X & O coach with, IMO, a tremendous staff of recruiters and coaches. Go Big Blue!

Pressure full court defense was a staple of Coach Pitino’s UK teams that CMP played on. Pope did not press much at BYU - don’t know if it was personnel related or or his preference.
I have stated many times in this forum that he pressures with his offense. Constant motion and players cutting hard off multiple screens on most possessions. Defense is more tiring to play than offense. You are reacting to your man which requires more effort and drains you as the game progresses.
It seems that we are going to have 11+ players that could start or play significant minutes at other schools. I do not advocate full court pressing the entire game but believe it would be effective in 3-4 minute spurts. Surprise the opponent, maybe get a few turnovers leading to easy baskets, fatigue them mentally and physically. Maybe you put in a “defensive 5 team” on the floor and exert 4 minutes of He** against them. Substitute the “offensive 5 team@ in and run the cutting action and have them chase.
CMP used 9 to 10 players in the BYU games that I watched. He will definitely have the depth to employ any strategy of play. I cannot wait till the season starts. Not been this excited since the Pitino years and early KOW years. We now have a program first, energetic, hard working, UK man at the helm. He is not just a new face but a knowledgeable X & O coach with, IMO, a tremendous staff of recruiters and coaches. Go Big Blue!
If I remember right Pitino had many different presses and the goal was not always to turn the ball over but to use up time and wear the opponent down. Sooner or later breakdowns occur and allows for easy buckets. Those were the good old days. That 96 team would have most teams buried by halftime. Liberal use of his bench allows that type of play.

Not really in disagreement with anything you said but I do want to point out that most of everybody's blocks come as a help defender.
Williams has never played more than 26 minutes a game or there about. Now you expect him to play 35 a game in an up tempo style??? Garrison did not come to UK to play 5 minutes a game. They will almost split the time at the 5, same for Carr and Almonor at the 4. The rest of the line up will be 3 guards or small fwd guard line up.

Williams has never played more than 26 minutes a game or there about. Now you expect him to play 35 a game in an up tempo style???
How in the hell did you get that out of anything I said? I said most blocks come from help defense. Did you quote the wrong guy?

How in the hell did you get that out of anything I said? I said most blocks come from help defense. Did you quote the wrong guy?
Probably replied to the incorrect response. My computer has been acting up today. There was a post talking about Garrison getting 5 minutes a game. Maybe you replied to that thread? Not sure.

Reactions: ukfan1622

4 mins of Hell then 4 mins of Hail. Like it. Would be fun to watch.

If he leaves here and heads to see the Vols, I don’t like our chances. I feel the only reason he’s here is because we’ve been competitive on NIL. Vols have just as much money as we do and they have a HOF coach that has been known to help with defense and fixing shots.

My gut just says that’s too much if all we have to offer is just money and an unproven coach.

If he leaves here and heads to see the Vols, I don’t like our chances. I feel the only reason he’s here is because we’ve been competitive on NIL. Vols have just as much money as we do and they have a HOF coach that has been known to help with defense and fixing shots.

My gut just says that’s too much if all we have to offer is just money and an unproven coach.
Some of you on here are the biggest chicken shits I’ve ever seen man. Yeah the only reason he is coming to a program of Kentuckys stature is because of NIL, nothing else to factor in here. Oh he hasn’t committed the min he got on campus, he just be going to Tennessee then. Have some patience and let the process play out. If you think all those things you said then it’s clear you aren’t paying attention to what is happening.

I really think the full court press kind of became obsolete when players at the 4/5 positions began to be able to handle the ball instead of just being post players. Billy Donovan's teams killed full court presses just getting the ball to Horford or Noah and letting them lead a break with the dribble.

I do like the idea of a half court trap or token pressure just to slow down the other team getting into their offense, leading to more late in the clock bad shots(hopefully).

Where did you hear UT had "just as much money?"

Everything I've seen has indicated that they don't want to get into a bidding war with Kentucky.

Some of you on here are the biggest chicken shits I’ve ever seen man. Yeah the only reason he is coming to a program of Kentuckys stature is because of NIL, nothing else to factor in here. Oh he hasn’t committed the min he got on campus, he just be going to Tennessee then. Have some patience and let the process play out. If you think all those things you said then it’s clear you aren’t paying attention to what is happening.
The guy you're writing opened an account in February of this year. It was the same day as the Gonzaga loss and a week after we lost at Rupp to Tennessee, right when UK was in a downward spiral.

Keep that in mind.

My roommates at Murray state were all on the basketball team this last year. Code of ethics would definitely be a big factor for them lol.

Don’t underestimate the pull of women and Booz is all I’m saying haha.
I'm pretty sure not all BYU's players have been celebate. I'd say if you can play they'll look the other way.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I still feel good about Lanier, based on what Anonymous13 said last week. But the Tennessee visit isn't ideal
Considering how far UK has come in this recruitment, I think Tennessee's staff and fans would say the same thing about Lanier's visit to UK right now.

Definitely not "ideal" on their end either.

The guy you're writing opened an account in February of this year. It was the same day as the Gonzaga loss and a week after we lost at Rupp to Tennessee, right when UK was in a downward spiral.

Keep that in mind.
There are some on here that are pessimistic and complain about everything. I know I was negative and can be, but atleast I try and be positive and are backing pope and this roster. Literally every single slight Inconvenience and its doom for Kentucky. Let things play out and see if pope can close before we start declaring him Tennessee bound.

There are some on here that are pessimistic and complain about everything. I know I was negative and can be, but atleast I try and be positive and are backing pope and this roster. Literally every single slight Inconvenience and its doom for Kentucky. Let things play out and see if pope can close before we start declaring him Tennessee bound.
YOU calling out people for being chickens/ negative ??!!!

ROFLMAO!

I really think the full court press kind of became obsolete when players at the 4/5 positions began to be able to handle the ball instead of just being post players. Billy Donovan's teams killed full court presses just getting the ball to Horford or Noah and letting them lead a break with the dribble.

I do like the idea of a half court trap or token pressure just to slow down the other team getting into their offense, leading to more late in the clock bad shots(hopefully).
Don't see it used much today. But, you can apply token full court pressure also without trying to force turnovers. Either way you have to prepare to see it in a game if you are the opponent. The 1996 team had so much depth as will next season's team. Again, I would just use it in spurts 8-10 minutes a game. I only played in high school but teams that pressed gave me headaches as the point guard and kept you wondering when and how your opponent might press.

Pope and staff obviously are light years ahead of myself as far as strategy and using their depth. I would think it might be effective though, especially against teams with little depth, let's say Arkansas!

Last edited:
Reactions: ukfan1622
Where did you hear UT had "just as much money?"

Everything I've seen has indicated that they don't want to get into a bidding war with Kentucky.
If you don’t think they have as much money as us, you’re lying to yourself. It’s been on of the reasons the playing field has been leveled over the last 8 years.

Open your eyes and look around. There’s plenty of teams in the SEC who can and will pay as much as we do. Auburn, Alabama and now Texas along with OU coming in, they all have as much money.

And just because I am willing to admit this, doesn’t make me any less of a fan. It makes me realistic. You on the other hand will be calling for Pope’s head if he doesn’t have us in the NC game at the end of the year.

YOU calling out people for being chickens/ negative ??!!!

ROFLMAO!
Did you not read the line in there brain trust, where I say I was negative and can be. That doesn’t fit your style though. Atleast I’m being positive with pope and not saying this roster sucks before even seeing them play. But again all you do on here is let everybody know how wrong they are, and how smart you are.

I doubt it happens, but it would be cool to get Lanier and Robinson. We would be two deep at every position with veterans. Our top 10 guys would all be guys who were key players on their previous team. Pope wouldn’t platoon, but he could if he added both.

G Butler/Kriisa
G Lanier/Brea
G Robinson/Oweh
F Carr/Almonor
F Williams/Garrison

That second unit would be a good starting five for most teams.

That team is preseason top 10-15, at the very least, with that kind of depth.

That’s a really good team, at least on paper.

I doubt it happens, but it would be cool to get Lanier and Robinson. We would be two deep at every position with veterans. Our top 10 guys would all be guys who were key players on their previous team. Pope wouldn’t platoon, but he could if he added both.

G Butler/Kriisa
G Lanier/Brea
G Robinson/Oweh
F Carr/Almonor
F Williams/Garrison

Would be great, if your down 15 and need points, go Krisa, Lanier, brea, Robinson,Carr/almanor

G Butler/Kriisa
G Lanier/Brea
G Robinson/Oweh
F Carr/Almonor
F Williams/Garrison

If we somehow landed that roster I would seriously have to freeze myself in carbonite and be thawed out at the start of the season because there's no way I'd survive waiting all off season under normal circumstances to see them play.

There has never been a really effective full-game, full court press that wasn't a zone trap press. A man-to-man full court press is hardly more than harassment. A well played zone trap press creates turnovers, almost always from bad passes out of a trap double-team.
Just MHO, of course.
Go 'Cats ! ! !

Reactions: Kyhoward
There has never been a really effective full-game, full court press that wasn't a zone trap press. A man-to-man full court press is hardly more than harassment.
I agree. The second sentence is what I meant by "token pressure".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT