ADVERTISEMENT

Chaz Lanier to visit Mon

With all the write ups about all of our players and looking back at their history Krissa would seem to be the most true 1 guard. Lot of people believe that Butler will be it, and he may be, but someone that has covered Butler over the years flat out said he was not a true 1 guard. Said he does not have the feel and vision that most ones have. Now, in this offense, he may be OK at that position. Just no way of knowing till it all starts June 10th. Perry could be the next best at that position just no way of knowing with this new team and offense. It would appear that on the offensive end is where Krissa thrives with his shooting and passing ability. Butler gives us something different with great defense and maybe less turnover prone than Krissa. I know that Butler is coming here to hopefully improve his offense in this unique system. That was said to be one of his biggest draws to come here. Hopefully the new beginning gives him a renowned confidence to raise his offensive game higher than it ever has been.
Offense doesn’t rely on a true point. Expect to see a lot of combo guard types going forward. Someone, anyone to literally get the ball across the halfcourt line. Then, playmaking and screen action/reactions needed for all five players.

I just saw on trillys discord(nothing set in stone) but apparently byu is offering him money Kentucky and Tennessee won’t match. Kentucky is still seen as the favorite though because of a major conference and Kentucky
What a crazy world that BYU is offering a basketball player outside their faith a larger NIL deal than Kentucky or Tennessee.

What a crazy world that BYU is offering a basketball player outside their faith a larger NIL deal than Kentucky or Tennessee.
Would be crazy if true. This is a rumor so I don’t known if it’s true. But they are saying the offer is hundreds of thousands more and pope doesn’t want him here if all he is looking for it money. Kentucky need to get Lanier, so they should let byu outbid them for anybody

Chaz Lanier is a poor man's Shawn Respert.

If UK lands him, we get a guy who gives us 12 to 15 points per game next year (particularly with our depth and balance).

Offense doesn’t rely on a true point. Expect to see a lot of combo guard types going forward. Someone, anyone to literally get the ball across the halfcourt line. Then, playmaking and screen action/reactions needed for all five players.
This is going to be a mental adjustment to for me.

Just a very different structure than I'm used to.

In my mind there are three actual positions, point, wings, and bigs but now it is closer to the only position that almost doesn't exist is formally the most crucial one to my reckoning and welcome back centers.

I think I like the concept but it a is different perspective.

Reactions: Fox2monk and B.B.H.
LOL who in their right mind would say "Chandler is better than Krissa ?" based on what ? his play in high school 3 years ago v/s a guy who has done it on a big stage in college ? Chandler hasn't proved he can even compete at the college level, but he is better than a 4 year proven guy ? Watching highlight tapes on a kid while is high school is not a proven science. Watching tape from player doing it for 4 years in college, IS.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
We definitely need to add Lanier or Robinson. Hopefully both!
Getting both would put UK in the conversation for a top 10 ranking and potential Final Four team.

We'd be the deepest team in the country. No star power, but overwhelmingly deep. Would be reminiscent of that 1995 team with Lanier in the Delk role and Robinson in the Rod Rhodes role.

Getting both would put UK in the conversation for a top 10 ranking and potential Final Four team.

We'd be the deepest team in the country. No star power, but overwhelmingly deep. Would be reminiscent of that 1995 team with Lanier in the Delk role and Robinson in the Rod Rhodes role.
Agreed. There would be teams with more top end talent, but we would be the deepest, most experienced and oldest for sure.

😲

Agreed. There would be teams with more top end talent, but we would be the deepest, most experienced and oldest for sure.

I mean, where would be the weakness? You'd literally have 9 guys who have averaged at least 10 points/game on the division one level and a 10th guy in Lamont Butler who led his team to the NCAA title game and presently has a 7-2 tournament record. Butler is also a near-double digit scorer, and probably one of the top five perimeter defenders in the nation.

That doesn't even factor in Chandler, Perry, and Noah, who Pope can have the room to develop over the next three or four years.

Pope could feel confident going to his 10th and 11th men on the bench and still know that they can produce on a high level.

Here's the million dollar question: if Pope closes out with Lanier and Robinson, does he install some form of a press for long durations of the game, in order to wear down opponents and take advantage of UK's potential strength (depth, and transition threes)?

Agreed.

I often wonder what he could have done if he was the starting point guard on the 2015 team.

I actually think he fit that team better than Harrison, particularly on the defensive end.

Briscoe was one of our worst 3 point shooters ever. His man could sag so far off him, it really bogged down our offense. I hated that fact, cause he was so good in all other aspects, he just couldn't shoot.

Anyone see that screenshot in trillys discord? Supposedly a text with Chaz’s cousin.

said he won’t be committing to BYU and they are paying him to visit. Said they feel like the NBA is the way to go and Pope will get him there
I absolutely love the thought of Brea and Lanier playing on the wing. Two guys who can shoot 44 to 50% from three, and two guys capable of giving you 100 threes in a season.

Pitino would have went crazy with these guys filling his wing sports in the early to mid 90s.

LOL who in their right mind would say "Chandler is better than Krissa ?" based on what ? his play in high school 3 years ago v/s a guy who has done it on a big stage in college ? Chandler hasn't proved he can even compete at the college level, but he is better than a 4 year proven guy ? Watching highlight tapes on a kid while is high school is not a proven science. Watching tape from player doing it for 4 years in college, IS.
I never said that, I said Chandler has more potential and I would want him to play more if he gets to that potential. No need to take subtle shots at people, just @me I will respond. And what’s Krisa proven exactly. He fizzled out at Arizona and if he plays major mins there is a limit on what you can do.

yeah it's too early to say that about any freshman but I can't get out of my head how Pope described Chandler recently...sounded unicornish(yes, I know I just made that word up).

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
It is but Chandler if he gets anywhere close to what he is capable of is better than Krisa
I respect you as a poster, so didn't want to quote you. Only reason I did here is you said to. What has Krissa done ? More than Chandler and more proven. He HAS done it, not PROJECTED to do it. Fizzled out at Arizona ? his last year (JR) he started all 34 games, played 31 minutes. Averaged 11 / 2.5 / 5 assist per game. For a number 1 seed. IF he was that bad, he wouldn't have been starting for #1 seed tourney team for 2 years. Playing at Arizona or playing against high school competition in Utah ? HMM, wonder which is more challenging ? Krissa can ball, I do not see why people do not see that.

I respect you as a poster, so didn't want to quote you. Only reason I did here is you said to. What has Krissa done ? More than Chandler and more proven. He HAS done it, not PROJECTED to do it. Fizzled out at Arizona ? his last year (JR) he started all 34 games, played 31 minutes. Averaged 11 / 2.5 / 5 assist per game. For a number 1 seed. IF he was that bad, he wouldn't have been starting for #1 seed tourney team for 2 years. Playing at Arizona or playing against high school competition in Utah ? HMM, wonder which is more challenging ? Krissa can ball, I do not see why people do not see that.
I was joking with @, I knew you wouldn’t be a dick head with the response. I’m just not high on krisa, everytime I watched he plays out of control and just didn’t seem like he had a good feel. If pope wants him I will like him since he will be wearing that Kentucky blue across his chest. I’m high on Chandler and think my the start of SEC play he could be good. But I get what you are saying about Krisa and his experience.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Sounds like Lanier is the last piece for this team.

Solid roster with him.

G Butler/Kriisa
G Lanier/Chandler/Perry
G Brea/Oweh
F Carr/Almonor
F Williams/Garrison

We have shooters galore. We have some excellent defenders.

Good shooting and defense will win you a lot of games.

This team is well thought out and put together. Lanier as a go to perimeter scorer is the last piece of the puzzle.

It’s the right pieces, IMHO. Perfect for Pope’s system. But we know that sometimes a team is not equal to the sum of its parts. The pieces may not fit together in real life like they look to on paper.

But I would rather bank on a team full of veterans that haven’t played together than a team full of Freshmen that have never played together.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT