ADVERTISEMENT

Chatter within

I am amused by these coaching discussions . People argue about the job like UK is the job of where it was 10 years ago instead of where it is NOW. I don't give 2 shits who we hire as long as it's someone different than Cal. Some of fans are delusional with your picks. Hurley isn't coming here,Donavan turned us down 3 times ,he ain't coming,nor is the guy from Arizona. People arguing against guys like Oats and Drew are crazy. Compared to what's happening now I would take either right now,honestly I'm not sure either would come. This job isn't what it was ,Cal has seen to that,regardless I am at the ANYBODY but Cal stage
The funniest name that gets thrown around is Brad Steven’s , lmao . Like he would leave a front office nba job to go back to coaching…..in college! He hasn’t coached in YEARS!

Why do several of you here keep repeating this same line as if you know him personally and what he is thinking?

Donovan has shot us down twice.
Pearl isn’t well liked in parts of the fan base from what I’ve seen

Hurley would be my choice but why on earth would he leave UConn? He’s doing there what we can’t hear.

What’s the pitch? “Come to UK to win titles?”

I am amused by these coaching discussions . People argue about the job like UK is the job of where it was 10 years ago instead of where it is NOW. I don't give 2 shits who we hire as long as it's someone different than Cal. Some of fans are delusional with your picks. Hurley isn't coming here,Donavan turned us down 3 times ,he ain't coming,nor is the guy from Arizona. People arguing against guys like Oats and Drew are crazy. Compared to what's happening now I would take either right now,honestly I'm not sure either would come. This job isn't what it was ,Cal has seen to that,regardless I am at the ANYBODY but Cal stage
your logic works for the first year, maybe two, but by year 3 if the coach hasn't won the SEC regular season, tournament or at least an elite 8, the fans will be walking away on him too. They'll be demanding whoever the AD is to fire him an pay his $5m buyout

Whoever comes in will need to do something similar to Cal in his first year, but instead of bringing in a bunch of freshmen, he assembles a team from the transfer portal and gets a 28 win season under his belt.

Reactions: bbncal02
I know Mitch Barnhart responded directly to the "voice" of Dynasty Defenders, a man's name who escapes me at the moment, during the Tubby kerfuffle, and he was pretty salty about it.

I guess it depends on how much impact you can have on their daily life in determining whether they respond or not. Attempting to take out an add in the Kentucky Kernel put him on Mitch's radar
Richard Cheeks the Professor.

Im 90% certain that Barnhart himself responded to one of my emails last year as well. Someone did because it struck a nerve and it’s the only response I’ve ever gotten from Barnhart’s email address.

The funniest name that gets thrown around is Brad Steven’s , lmao . Like he would leave a front office nba job to go back to coaching…..in college! He hasn’t coached in YEARS!
Yeah that one is STUPID. And there are people who believe it in their heart of hearts too. Steven’s is happy up there.

Reactions: yoshukai
Billy was actually considered a bang up hire at the time, and would’ve been considered for the Kansas job had self gone to the NBA, which he was flirting with at that time. The Billy G hire wasn’t bad at all on paper, at least at that time. Sometimes, hires don’t work. Scott Frost was considered a slam dunk at Nebraska after big-time success at central Florida, and fell flat. The list goes on and on.
Billy G did more than “just not work out “ though. Evidently the SOB lost his mind ! lol

Reactions: kywildcat41086
It’s a crap ton easier to filter email now than back then as well. Soooo much easier. There are MaaS programs than can quarantine and reject based on word use. It could be filter so it never even got to the assistants, much less Mitch.
I got a response from Mitch’s email last year.

Reactions: kywildcat41086

Hurley would be my choice but why on earth would he leave UConn? He’s doing there what we can’t hear.

$$ and even more recruiting prowess. He (Hurley) only making a little over 5 Mil a year at Uconn.
Yeah, Donovon is ridiculous, has shot us down repeatedly, and beyond that I don't get the attraction.

I posted a week ago about there was chatter about Cal being gone from UK next season, well a little update from my source today…..

Tensions are very high within the program, Mitch and Cal both have met today. Not sure what exactly was said, but it does seem like this is the end.

All I know is there is a 98% chance Cal is not at UK next season. Whether they buy him out, fire him, or he could go coach elsewhere.
I hope you’re right. I really do. The main issue is that we have Barnfart making the new hire and that won’t go well I’m sure of it.

in the very near future someone is going to crack the code on the transfer portal & NIL

his pitch is going to be I'll take your guys, pay them more and make them better. And with portal guys , you're more likely to get 2 years out of them as opposed to rebuilding the team new each year with the one and dones.

and like Cal's one and done, it will have about a 6 year shelf life before others go all in and waters it down.

NIL and Transfer portal is the wild west now. Coaches who can't adapt (or don't want to) are quitting or will be fired.

But someone is going to figure it out.

$$ and even more recruiting prowess. He (Hurley) only making a little over 5 Mil a year at Uconn.
Yeah, Donovon is ridiculous, has shot us down repeatedly, and beyond that I don't get the attraction.
Would UK pay him 9 mil a year would be the next question.

Just seems like a hard sell to oust a successful coach who just won a title.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
in the very near future someone is going to crack the code on the transfer portal & NIL

his pitch is going to be I'll take your guys, pay them more and make them better. And with portal guys , you're more likely to get 2 year out of them as opposed to rebuilding the team new each year with the one and dones.
Cal kinda had the right idea. He just doesn’t know how to manage and coach them.

Someone please explain to me the Scott Drew nonsense?

Dude has been at Baylor for 20 years and has one Final Four. One. Got lucky with one team where the talent came together- has missed more NCAA tournaments than he has 2nd weekend appearances.

Someone explain it to me??
Well, I mean, he took over a program where players murdered each other and the program itself was left for dead. I'd say that eats into that timeline of getting to a national championship.

I’d take Travis Ford over this carpetbagger. Dark horse candidate Mark Pope? Like Mitch, he’s a Quaker so there’s that connection
I love how some you have to resort to name calling. How easily we forget the first 11 years Cal was here. It was one of the best runs of any coach in history. This reminds me of Tom Landry or Denny Crum, those coaches had alot of good years in at there respected organizations. They were disrespectful kicked to the curb in their waning years.

Will Wade…the one year turn around he had made at Mcneese State has been remarkable and if her were still at LSU he would still be killing Calapari. The guy can flat out coach and make some strong ass offers.
Meanwhile Bill Self is still rolling along .And isn’t it “legal” to make “strong ass offers” now ?

Reactions: TriCountyCat
Meanwhile Bill Self is still rolling along .And isn’t it “legal” to make “strong ass offers” now ?
This guy is a heck of a recruiter, just dominated the transfer portal at freaking Mcneese State. Also his reputations with players is top notch. This guy could turn us into the evil empire just like Calipari did at first.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Brad Stevens
10 year 10 million a year deal
Complete control of the program

Barney fired
Calipari can be his little ambassador role or leave I don’t care

• Haha
Reactions: yoshukai
Brad Stevens
10 year 10 million a year deal
Complete control of the program

Barney fired
Calipari can be his little ambassador role or leave I don’t care
If you are serious, lmao ! Why not just get Coach K and bring in Jay Wright as his top assistant. Both are as likely to happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimBR
Barnhart needs to go first. It wont cost 40 million to get rid of his goofy ass.
He should be fired immediately!

Then get the biggest prick of an AD in here that will absolutely torment Cal every day. Be all over his ass at every practice.
I totally agree Mitch has screwed up on not just Cal but a few other sports and contracts too!

Reactions: CatPhight
Something some of you aren't taking into account going forward is all the conference realignment stuff. It's mostly football driven and will also heavily affect basketball.

UK is the only relevant Blue Blood basketball school currently in a super safe spot conference wise going forward with no uncertainty. That TV deal money helps basketball as well.

What is Uconns realignment future? They have no football profile to speak of. No one will want them. Hurley will listen to us, and so will most anyone else in a precarious spot.

Now do I trust Mitch to broker all this and close on the best choice? Not really.

Many coaches in Big East, Big 12, etc would for sure listen.

Again, ZERO chance Barnhart would force a meeting in the middle of a 15-6 season. NONE. No A.D. would be so ignorant as to put a coach on his heels in the middle of the season and mess with his head so he couldn't do his job. You're throwing out bad info. That's fine if you want to do that, but good grief.
Did I say what exactly the met about? I didn’t…..

• Haha
Reactions: Cold Stout Beer
Donovan. lol no
Stevens lol hell naw
Oats, Barnhart wouldn’t call
Pearl, Barnhart sure as hell wouldn’t call
Scott Drew hasn’t earned the job

Reactions: TriCountyCat
More than likely they met and barnhart told him that he's doing a wonderful job. Dont listen to those hicks who always talk about winning.

full

Cal will not quit. He might opt to take the special assistant position, but I doubt that too. If so who tf would work here and put up with his constant interference?

There is also no way to fire him in the current budget. Mitch spends almost everything he makes. Now if the Crafts etal. were to step up then maybe they could get rid of him and pay another coach. Not even sure Mitch would allow that as it puts him in their debt.

The next question is, do you trust Mitch to make the hire. Take a look at his past history. Billy Clyde and Joker. His asinine contracts. Idk man. His hand was forced to take Cal in the first place or he wouldn't have even made that move.
The next coach will be hired my committee .

Winning the sec and doing something that matters in March in ncaa are two different things. He would have better resources here.
There is nothing Oats can’t do at Alabama that he’d need to be at UK to do. There isn’t something magical about UK that makes it easier to win in the tournament. He’d just be switching teams in a conference he’s already winning and would be going into a higher pressure environment with very little upside. Bama isn’t some small mid major.

Yeah, Hurley is the only name mentioned that would excite me. No chance though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT