ADVERTISEMENT

Charlie Strong/UL vs. Joker Phillips/UK recruiters-

ukfit

All-American
Jul 10, 2001
Saw on the Lair a post that said UL is #29 in FB recruiting vs. UK at #40.
Of course CS has great connections in FLA and he wins that battle for now; but do you think that the recruiters JP has assembled will trump UL next year?.

While it is frustrating that UK has had the continuity edge with JP AND UL has had the Krag disaster, yet CS seems to have the edge in recruiting right now-lets see in February who actually signs. We have 3 to give and we should finish very strong with those three.
I think we close the gap considerably with the 3 we have left this year yet may finish behind UL.

Next year, the coaching changes will pay off.
Martin, Pardue, Minter should eclipse CS who compared to these three might make CS look like a one trick pony. He locks down FLA. But Pardue will bring a lot of GA guys in and Minter should mine IN, OH, and WVA pretty well. In particular, I believe DT should be vastly improved from getting the guys up north and even GA.

What say you?
question.gif

This post was edited on 12/28 10:11 AM by ukfit

Good post. We need a win in the bowlgame, a beatdown of UL next year, some action instead of words from our AD (a few more pennies to the recruiting budget for a start), a strong close to recruiting this year (Dawson and/or two highly rated LBs), and a few breaks in our season next year instead of the bad breaks the past two years (losing starters, injuries, and turnovers).

Any of the above is attainable, to get them all would be great.

Good post? Why is Charlie Strong battling single-handed against all of the UK assistants? Maybe thatwas not the intent of the OP, but only UK assistants were mentioned. UL assitant Hurtt, as former Miami recruiting coordinator, has the best contacts in south Florida. He was most responsible for the recruitment of Bridgewater and others.

As far as the one trick pony comment, Louisville has commitments from eight Florida players out of 22 total. Their commitments come from eight different states. Florida will always be a main target for Louisville, but not close to a one trick pony.

How about we don't judge day by day, but wait until we see how the classes end up before we make assumptions. Recruiting is a fluid situation. Ul was ranked behind us until Strong pulled Bridgewater and his buddy. Let's also judge on more than stars, like, is CS actually getting top players at positions he needs? I don't see many Olinemen to block for his skill players. Recruiting isn't just getting highly ranked players. It's getting highly ranked players at need positions, and Joker seems to be way ahead in this aspect of the game IMO.

Louisville will own UK untill Chaarlie leaves UL which will be later than sooner, Bridgewater is going to go thur springball this year, he'll know the offense for next year, and will beat Kentucky, our offense will be weak and or defense is weak also.

Originally posted by hunterpapa:
Louisville will own UK untill Chaarlie leaves UL which will be later than sooner, Bridgewater is going to go thur springball this year, he'll know the offense for next year, and will beat Kentucky, our offense will be weak and or defense is weak also.

Nothing is for sure in football and it is a rivalry game but UK should be favored by almost a TD next year, IMO. Our D has to be better unless the 3-4 just doesn't work, too much experience AND redshirts coming in and we don't lose anyone that can't be/hasn't been replaced. I'm anxious to see how Minter does, it will definitely be different sounds like.

If you think Morgan can replace Hartline you didn't watch the bowl game, I'd swear I thought UK was the team with coaches and Pitt didn't have any coaches Pitt, made us look like a 1AA school, anyone who calls Big East the Big Least, what are you goin to call us then.

If you think Morgan can replace Hartline you didn't watch the bowl game, I'd swear I thought UK was the team with coaches and Pitt didn't have any coaches Pitt, made us look like a 1AA school, anyone who calls Big East the Big Least, what are you goin to call us then.

If you don't think Morgan will be better, maybe not great, but a lot better after going through all the reps in the spring and the fall and two games prior to the UL game then you know nothing. If you think a true freshman is going to work magic in his third game, you know nothing. How long did it take Woodson and Hartline to shine? Several of the good UL posters think he won't even be the starter for a few games. Rivals said in his profile he needed a redshirt.

Read my post above, or maybe I should just keep it simple for you. UK DID have a better team than UL last year. The true freshmen will not have a great impact for either team, and there isn't that great a difference in their talent anyway. UL lost a LOT more than UK, especially on the lines, and in particular on the OL, where experience and working together is vital. UK has more and better redshirts, IMO. UK also has three very good additions that are grayshirts that will go through spring training.

UL is on an improvement curve, but so is UK, and we are starting at a higher plateau.

But from reading your posts I think you just aren't very smart or more likely are a troll anyway. I hope you aren't as dumb as you appear.

Most of Charlie Strong's good prospects were out of the Miami area. This year due to the coaching change, Miami did not sign any of the top 21 prospects out of the Miami area. Will that ever happen again? No. Also Urban Meyer stepped down out of no where which also hurt the So. Fla. recruiting for Florida. Strong had good timing, I don't see that continuing because Florida and Miami both with have LOTS of schollys available for next year.

jauk 11 I've been following UK for over 50 years, if you think Morgan is going to bolsom into a SEC qb next year, he's not shown any sign that he's even knows the play book. HE doesn't go thur his reads quick enough, he's slow footed and doesn't have control of his release of the football.
He may get the hang of it, we'll know at the blue-white game if he doesn't have then, the only team we will win in the SEC is Vandy and we play there so don't count it a win yet.

Hunterpapa,

As a fan who's been watching and studying UK for 50 yrs, I want you to compile 2 lists. In list #1 I want you to name all the starting UK QB's who you "knew" that as a true freshman was going to be as what you'd call an "SEC QB." In list #2, I want you to name all the UK starting QB's who took until their Jr and Sr yrs to develop. Heck, do it for any team.....ever.

Then come back and tell us what list is longer.

Very few people are saying that Newton is going to be a 1st round draft pick right now. They are saying that he is very likely to get better over the next yr and the yr after.

Finally, I ask you one last question: What does it say to you that Newton played some meaningful minutes as a true freshman, for a bottom tier team in the best conference in America, with less talent around him than the teams he played, and put up numbers that are not below but average among true freshmen QB's throughout the nation......in any yr. That's right. He has a winning record and put up average numbers.....not poor, not stellar, but average. What does it say to you?

To me is says that he started off ok (not great, not poor), will likely improve (as most do), will likely get better talent around him (we are recruiting better.....do you at least acknowledge that?), and do very well in his last 2 yrs (once again not great, but well).

BlueRadier22,I've been to Fla. for 2 weeks, just got back, Look how Morgan release the ball different release points, thats the reason some throws are low and some are high, bad footwork, doesn't go thur his assignments, I hope he improves next year but he's had 2 years to improve, an hasn't done it yet. he look as confused in the bowl game as he did last year.

When have you ever seen a true freshman have great footwork and consistent release points? When have you ever seen a true freshman that was really good going through his progressions well? Seriously, like in my previous post.....make 2 lists and tell us which is bigger.

He did exactly what he was told during the bowl game. Sanders told him, "Do not take risks. Make the sure passes." (paraphrasing) Newton's numbers during the bowl game were average, not poor. Plus he had 4-5 drops that should have been easy catches......plus 1 that was a easy TD catch.

Can a QB not improve throwing mechanics or footwork? They can't gain experience and be able to go through progressions better? What did you think of Hartline? Hartline was someone that was arguably worse than Newton in 2008, 2009......did you see how he did in 2010? Wow!

Do I or anyone think that he needs improvement? Of course we do. But are we ready to throw in the towel and get rid of Newton after he's done as well as nearly every other freshman or sophomore? No.

He's not a true freshmen he's like between a soph and jr. at the bowl game, that's like a spring game with him taking all the snaps for practice for the bowl game.

Oh, in that case you're right......he should've had 350 yds, 75% completion percentage, 4 TD's passing and 2 running. Wow, he really stunk it up.

Morgan actually had a pretty good first half in the bowl game. The second half when we got behind he seemed to press quite a bit but hey why let facts get in the way of a closed mind?

Newton would have had a much better bowl game if his recievers didn't drop passes theyshould have caught. There was obvious dissaray on w/in the whole team, so IMO, Newton gets at least as much of a pass as anyone else. Personally, I have always believed that NEwt was the best option, and that given the reps, will develop into something special. TIme will certainly tell, but he did some amazing things as a true freshman w/out knowing the offense. One has to believe he will be that much better once he gets the whole package. I'm not sure how good we'll be this year, especially cause of defense, but I hav ea feeling we will win the games we're supposed to , and pull at least one big upset. I'll predict 7 wins right now.

BlueRaider what I told you last spring has come to life now who is dumb,and I'm not a troll. It's been a lone time since I played football in school I played QB and know what to look for in a QB and Morgan hasn't shown me nothing to feel good about his play, to tell me he's catching on.
In Hartline I saw a Qb with a head on his shoulder who could make the reads and check off on the Defense, when everybody was calling for Morgan to start in front of Mike I knew who knew football and who didn't know what to look for in a QB.

Originally posted by jauk11:

If you don't think Morgan will be better, maybe not great, but a lot better after going through all the reps in the spring and the fall and two games prior to the UL game then you know nothing. If you think a true freshman is going to work magic in his third game, you know nothing. How long did it take Woodson and Hartline to shine? Several of the good UL posters think he won't even be the starter for a few games. Rivals said in his profile he needed a redshirt.

Read my post above, or maybe I should just keep it simple for you. UK DID have a better team than UL last year. The true freshmen will not have a great impact for either team, and there isn't that great a difference in their talent anyway. UL lost a LOT more than UK, especially on the lines, and in particular on the OL, where experience and working together is vital. UK has more and better redshirts, IMO. UK also has three very good additions that are grayshirts that will go through spring training.

UL is on an improvement curve, but so is UK, and we are starting at a higher plateau.

But from reading your posts I think you just aren't very smart or more likely are a troll anyway. I hope you aren't as dumb as you appear.

Pwned! If I didn't know any better, I would have thought that hunter had already watched the game this season. lol. As it turns out, jauk11 has lost any credibility he may have had and doesn't know as much about football as he would lead you to believe.

Originally posted by CardFan78:

Originally posted by jauk11:

Pwned! If I didn't know any better, I would have thought that hunter had already watched the game this season. lol. As it turns out, jauk11 has lost any credibility he may have had and doesn't know as much about football as he would lead you to believe.

I thought the game would be close and kept having the feeling that UKay would win! And our season unfolded better than I thought. Especially after a 2-4 start with loses to FIU and Marshall! UKay should watch out for WKU in 2012!

with the 2 transfers from MIA and UF and the 2 LB recruits, UofL had a better few days than Joker has had all off-season. Truth hurts and I love UK but Charlie Strong is blowing up right now.

Strong will whip Joker like a red headed step child. I predict UK to win in 2011 oh shucks you mean we lost?

For all of you who love strong so much please explain why? He came from a 2 time BCS championship school (FLA) so yes he has connections BUT has it really led him to top notch wins? Lets see in two years, he is 14-12 with those amazing recruiting classes but lets see WHO he has beaten. MURRAY STATE 1-0, EKU 1-0, ARK STATE 1-0, MEMPHIS 1-0, S.MISS 1-0, UCONN 2-0, RUTGERS 2-0, SYRACUSE 2-0, KENTUCKY 1-1, WVA 1-1, and USF 1-1. Now WHO has he NOT beaten; FIU 0-1, MARSHALL 0-1, OREGON 0-1, UNC 0-1, NCSTATE 0-1, UC 0-2, and PITT 0-2. I really don't see any GA, SCAROLINA, LSUs in their WINS or LOSSES so explain to me, WHY is strong so amazing?

It's called rebuilding the team and program. Ten different freshmen started last year. Lots of starters are returning. Fans are excited due to the visible improvement of individuals and the team.

Georgia was on the schedule, but that changed due to the team being torpedoed by Kragthorpe.

Originally posted by conversely:
It's called rebuilding the team and program. Ten different freshmen started last year. Lots of starters are returning. Fans are excited due to the visible improvement of individuals and the team.

Georgia was on the schedule, but that changed due to the team being torpedoed by Kragthorpe.

UL is a big fish in a very small pond. UK is a small fish in a very big pond.

How lucky for you that you were able to get out of the Georgia game. Since we are talking about recruiting (doesn't always show up on the field, as I hope it doesn't the first game this year, although I really don't think UL's recruiting should scare anyone that plays in the SEC) Let's take a simplified look at the four stars signed by these three schools that could be on the field this year.

Here is a list of the four star commits for the three schools for the past five years, and yes Georgia might have been able to redshirt some four stars from 08, plus others could have been injured. Here is the list of four stars signed over the past five years:

08 09 10 11 12
UK Boyd three 2 JC and Moss Smith Faulkner Towles
UL J Wiley Evenger three 4, all Miami? three
Georgia thirteen fourteen nine eleven six

By the way, UL, do you know what a five star looks like? Don't feel bad, UK doesn't either this century, but Georgia has signed SIX of the difference makers, A J Green, Samuels, Crowell, Drew, Theus, and Harvey-Clemons, all AT THE TOP or near the top of their position in their class. So yes, UK can hold a team with this talent to 19 points but should be afraid to play UL. LOL, we play better talent in the SEC every week except for maybe Vandy, who did very well last year. Yes, UL will be favored over UK this year, but I really think it will be a close game.

So yes, UL signed three four stars this year and UK only signed one, but I honestly wouldn't trade the one for the three because I think Towles plays by far the most important position on the field and I think he has tremendous potential at the position UK MUST have a winner at to be good with their offense, proven many times.

Parting thoughts, I think UK's staff has done a TREMENDOUS job recruiting considering the two disappointing seasons, and they didn't use a sleezeball that should't be allowed around teenagers with testosterone problems, hurtt was the NROTY, not Charlie.

The NCAA is a joke.
This post was edited on 3/28 1:02 PM by jauk11

Jauk11 Our basketball coach is sometimes called the same thing, by other fans from other schools, Cal has had a storied past U. Mass. and Memphis had some dealing with the NCAA so every time the NCAA talks to a coach it's not always bad.

I'm not sure about UK's staff, but UL's staff has at least 3 former recruiting coordinators. Strong was Florida's recruiting coordinator, you all know about Hurt, and our OC Shawn Watson was also Miami's and Nebraska's recruiting coordinator. Not to mention Bedford and Dugans were also some of Floridas top recruiters when they were there. This staff has deep ties to Florida, but they are beginning to make inroads to GA, and TN.

Joker is a great recruiter. As is Nord. It's just going to take them longer to get established as a staff. Strong had the advantage of taking several members of Florida's staff and Miami's main guy. That allowed Strong and Co to quickly move on Florida talent. Strong and Co other advantage is that they came from either winning programs or tradition rich programs. Kids had faith in what they could do.

Joker is coming from Kentucky and has to prove that he can coach up guys and win. It's hard to recruit against a guy who has coached several top 10 defense at 2 different SEC schools and has won 2 national champs.

If given enough time Joker will get it done. He just needs time to bring in the talent he needs to succeed.

Jauk11 Our basketball coach is sometimes called the same thing, by other fans from other schools, Cal has had a storied past U. Mass. and Memphis had some dealing with the NCAA so every time the NCAA talks to a coach it's not always bad.
What is this BS, and that is what it is. VERY few programs OR coaches could withstand intense scrutiny by the NCAA, Cal did twice---and TWICE they publicly stated they found nothing wrong with his actions. How in the hell are you going to keep a recruit from taking advantage of opportunities a lot of different people would like to offer him, how can you even blame him for cheating when there was literally millions at stake, how fair is it to not allow a teenager that has a world of physical talent but maybe not the mental gifts (or guidance, was he really dumb, looks pretty smart to me now) how can you possibly control a player taking money from anyone, was Cal ever involved at UMass, can't you even sympathize a little with a player that has talent worth millions but can't touch it until the NCAA tells him he can---and the NCAA is a joke to start with, completely irrational in some of their rulings, Jarmon, Newton, Kanter, close by and with much worse cases out there.

Did Strong win the NROTY, wasn't that someone that was involved in unbelievable going ons at the U for about EIGHT years, wouldn't you say he was either a sleazeball or incredibly stupid? I would choose the first, take your choice, seems pretty easy to me. Has Cal paid for prostitutes for his recruits, has he arranged abortions for his recruits without their knowledge (or for himself, like another UL coach), isn't he supposed to be a good family man that is involved in a lot of charities and does a lot of extra public appearances, most of them not publicized. UL makes a big production of their football players helping the tornado victims, probably on UL time, when the whole staff could have donated 1/365 of their salaries and hired a hundred unemployed or newly homeless people for $100 that would have accomplished a lot more. Instead they waste $10,000 in their time supervising pickup crews that were probably wasting their time too. Wonder which PR man thought that up?

What IS bad is that sometimes the NCAA DOESN'T talk to coaches, if someone kills someone for eight years in a row but hasn't the past two years at UL (or maybe they just haven't found the bodies) should you forget about the eight murders?

Bringing up the BS about Cal shouldn't be allowed anywhere, let alone a UK board. IF Cal EVER cheated in recruiting he would be stupid to do so at UK, he is the ideal coach at the ideal school, he has signed four five stars three years in a row, has three now (plus a 7' four star) and is almost certain to sign a fourth again. They won't even let Joker cheat and Tim was UK football's last five star---last century.

Two other big attractions Cal has is that he IS a very good coach, among many other things, he does send a lot of his players to the NBA (an understatement) AND seems to genuinely have the players best interest at heart.

Jealousy is a terrible thing and there is a lot of it out there, he is at UK, no reason for you to be jealous.
This post was edited on 5/27 1:04 PM by jauk11

Jauk11, I'm not implying cal is cheating, go to some of the other teams boards and they are saying it, I'm glad cal is our coach.
If Hurtt was cheating the NCAA will catch him, but as of now he is kicking our butts in recuiting which is the lifeline of a program.

Strong is going to have to start winning ball games against good teams before he becomes that good coach, he is a good recruiter, but so are a lot of coaches. GO CATS

Jauk11, I'm not implying cal is cheating, go to some of the other teams boards and they are saying it, I'm glad cal is our coach.
If Hurtt was cheating the NCAA will catch him, but as of now he is kicking our butts in recuiting which is the lifeline of a program.

Sorry, but bringing up that BS anywhere is not a good idea to me.

LOL The U got away with outrageous behavior for about 8 years, and who finally reported the sordid details, a Rivals reporter. The NCAA is a joke, and the "punishment" UT received (and them getting eight thugs off that should be in jail for attempted murder) AND them allowing hurtt to even be allowed around teenagers is just further proof of it.

Strong WASN"T the NROTY, the sleezeball was, and you really have to wonder why no attempt at all is being made to see how he lured all those four stars almost a thousand miles north to play for a bad program.

By the way, that recruiting giant at UL brought in two four stars in 10, (Rhodes didn't make it, did he?), four, ALL FROM MIAMI in 11, 3 in 12 (but Holliman belonged in 2012, was delayed, so they really dropped from 5 to 2), and ZERO so far this year, 6 three stars plus two unrated. So after a successful year for them (doubly compared to UK) it looks to me like their recruiting is steadily DECLINING after the hurtt bonanza.

But still, because they had some success in the BIG LEAST their fans think they are ready to compete with teams like Georgia and Florida that we have to play every year that had about FIFTY four stars and close to TEN five star commits in a five year period.

The last time I checked the signing date was still the first Wednesday in February, although that is a little hazy.

Maybe the coaches really believe their own hype, and think they will be a lot better than advertised, that UL might beat them but it won't be a walk in the park. That Towles and a lot of the less heralded three stars (even a couple of their specialties, unheralded two stars) will make recruits look at UK a lot more favorably before the season is over.

If Joker could bring in very good classes (yeah, yeah, by UK standards) with two disappointing seasons when a lot of the gloom and doomers were predicting mass bailouts (ended up strong) then wonder what he could do with a decent year?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT