ADVERTISEMENT

Chandler to Kentucky

Glad to have him, and off to a very nice start by Pope! I'd imagine he played pickup ball against YMCA type of competition one or two nights a week on his mission. He will be out of shape and a bit rusty, but I'm sure he will work hard during the summer when he gets to UK to get back in shape and shake off the rust.

IS it just me, or does he remind you a little of Tyler Herro ? Same kind of on court mannerisms. Same kind of athletic ability, his shot, the little step back pull up of the dribble. Not saying he IS Herro, just reminded me of him watching those clips.

Hopefully won't take long to shake off some rust. Do we know when exactly his mission ends, and can start training (hopefully in Lexington)?

Pope just getting started seems like a good pick up for us. Can't wait to see him play.

Not in any meaningful competitive way.

He will need to build back his athleticism. But he has about 4 months to work to get back. All the tools are still there.
There might be some rust, but typically high-level Mormon players come back from their Mission still very readily able to hoop. If you remember the UK vs Utah national championship in 1998, a few of those Utah guys had recently returned from Mission

Reactions: treyforuk
I am genuinely curious if he is in basketball shape and/or was able to shoot on a busted hoop on a dirt road somewhere the last 2 years?

We all saw what Skal looked like after not playing organized ball for nearly 2 years. Just sayin'!

Reactions: RunninRichie
Welcome aboard and welcome to BBN! My thinking is 2 year mission trip doesn't mean that he never picked up a basketball for 2 years. He knew he was going to come back and play, I think he worked on shooting while doing his trip.
Yeah nothing new here. Mormon church athletes have been doing this for years in all sports and worked out just fine. He's 20 years old not 60 like the rest of us relics whose bones literally lock up, and pull every muscle we have tying our shoes!

There might be some rust, but typically high-level Mormon players come back from their Mission still very readily able to hoop. If you remember the UK vs Utah national championship in 1998, a few of those Utah guys had recently returned from Mission
Which ones? I know Britton Johnson was a freshman who hadn't yet left on a mission. I'm not sure if you ever heard his name after his mission, I would be surprised because he was not very good.

He can be good, just be patient initially because there will be some rust to shake off. When I was at BYU I never thought that the 2-year mission was an advantage for basketball players. It can be a bit of an advantage for football where physicality and maturity are more of an advantage.

*Edit* Looks like Alex Jensen was a return missionary on that 98 Utah team. Their stars were Andre Miller, Doleac, and Mottola. But Jensen played well against us.

Last edited:
Reactions: UK90 and CatsFanIL
Fantastic get for UK! He's one of the 2 guys I wanted from BYU (Jaxson Robinson the other) and he can play. Tremendously talented.

Also from a well coached and run AAU Program.

Great initial recruit for Coach Pope and the Cats!

Also know the fan who thought every Cal player would stay before they had a shot of landing this guy because of his Faith and taking a Mission is pleasantly surprised. (it's a joke, know you'll be happy having him in the program)

2 down--Perry/Chandler and more to come!

Which ones? I know Britton Johnson was a freshman who hadn't yet left on a mission. I'm not sure if you ever heard his name after his mission, I would be surprised because he was not very good.

He can be good, just be patient initially because there will be some rust to shake off. When I was at BYU I never thought that the 2-year mission was an advantage for basketball players. It can be a bit of an advantage for football where physicality and maturity are more of an advantage.

*Edit* Looks like Alex Jensen was a return missionary on that 98 Utah team. Their stars were Andre Miller, Doleac, and Mottola. But Jensen played well against us.
Jensen for sure, if I remember correctly he always had a baggy t-shirt under his jersey. I could've sworn there was another player for the Utes that had served Mission already, but I could be wrong

Jensen for sure, if I remember correctly he always had a baggy t-shirt under his jersey. I could've sworn there was another player for the Utes that had served Mission already, but I could be wrong
Drew Hansen might have as well. I went back and looked at the roster and he played 4 consecutive years... which back at that time would have been unusual for an LDS missionary. Up until around the 2010s the mission age was 19yo, so most men would go to school for one year before leaving on their mission. You can see with Alex Jensen he played in 94/95 and then had a gap and played his sophomore year in 97/98. That's not to say Drew didn't sit out his freshman year and then played his first season when he got back. All this is to say, I don't know about him. Any other potential returned missionaries didn't have any significant impact, at least not against UK.

Excited Seinfeld GIF

He hasn't played in 2 years?
Yep, he took his two-year Mormon mission after high school instead of starting his college basketball career. That’s one heckuva sacrifice.

But he was a very impressive prospect in high school. He’s an excellent get IF the time away didn’t cause too much rust.

Reactions: cal=8
He looks to be athletic and a good shooter. He definitely will have to improve his handle quite a bit, but overall he looks to be an excellent starting piece.

Fantastic get for UK! He's one of the 2 guys I wanted from BYU (Jaxson Robinson the other) and he can play. Tremendously talented.

Also from a well coached and run AAU Program.

Great initial recruit for Coach Pope and the Cats!

Also know the fan who thought every Cal player would stay before they had a shot of landing this guy because of his Faith and taking a Mission is pleasantly surprised. (it's a joke, know you'll be happy having him in the program)

2 down--Perry/Chandler and more to come!
Has Perry confirmed he's sticking with UK and Pope? If so, I must have missed the official announcement.

Has Perry confirmed he's sticking with UK and Pope? If so, I must have missed the official announcement.
Nothing official yet, but the Pope Press Conference alone....if he's not a Cat, I think we'd all be stunned. Perry attended, Pope mentioned him and told him to stand up---mentioned how he's not going to the Portal-so Pope has no plans on not having him-just a matter of if Perry wants in which it sure seemed like he does. But you are correct, nothing official yet.

I just hope not too white. Duke somehow gets away from the "racist" label, but we know we wouldn't.
I think it's an abberation for us for obvious reasons; if it goes that way for 40 years(like Duke) I'd call it a pattern.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT