ADVERTISEMENT

Championships per year by coach

Cat Ballou

Senior
Gold Member
Mar 24, 2007
Ok - so I am too damned lazy to do this calculation myself, but if you look championships/year for UK coaches, I’m kinda sorta thinking Pitino would be the best, then Joe B, then Tubby or Rupp, and Cal would be the absolute worst.

Am I wrong here?.

Titles dont signify squat. Look at Kevin Ollie, how'd he do after Calhoun gifted him a Ferrari? How'd Tubby do when the Pitino shine wore off?

Coaches should be judged on how often the team was in the position to win a title, like Final Four appearances. Because in the final four, every game is decided by a few free throws or a made/missed 3 with 20 seconds left. Was it Caliparis fault that Liggins missed that 3 against UConn? Was it Pitinos fault they didnt kick Laetner out of the game after the stomp? Titles require a great team with some great luck. As billy donovan used to say, "only half the time does the best team actually win the tourney. And if you replayed it a week later, you'd get an entirely different field."

That said, the best UK coaches...
Rupp
Cal
Pitino
Joe B

Tubby

• Haha
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Titles dont signify squat. Look at Kevin Ollie, how'd he do after Calhoun gifted him a Ferrari? How'd Tubby do when the Pitino shine wore off?

Coaches should be judged on how often the team was in the position to win a title, like Final Four appearances. Because in the final four, every game is decided by a few free throws or a made/missed 3 with 20 seconds left. Was it Caliparis fault that Liggins missed that 3 against UConn? Was it Pitinos fault they didnt kick Laetner out of the game after the stomp? Titles require a great team with some great luck. As billy donovan used to say, "only half the time does the best team actually win the tourney. And if you replayed it a week later, you'd get an entirely different field."

Rupp
Cal
Pitino
Joe B

Tubby
Cal 4 final fours in 13 years when accounting for 2020 when it wasn’t played. That’s 30.7%. Pitino 3 final fours in 6 years when accounting for first two years they were not eligible for post season, that’s 50% which is greater than 30.7%.

Cal missed two NCAA tournaments in 13 years. Pitino missed zero in 6.

Pitino > Cal and it isn’t close.

Should the regular season not count? If not, then why does this board get so obsessed over some meaningless December or January game? Tubby Smith went undefeated in SEC play for the 2003 season. A remarkable season. One that stands out in UK basketball history. Cal had an entire undefeated regular season in 2015. One of the greatest seasons in UK and college bball history. Does that not mean anything?

The NCAA tournament is such a shitty method for determining a champion. I personally put less relevance on it. A team like 2011 or 2014 Uconn gets hot at just the right moment with some luck mixed in. Their entire body of work for those teams was subpar.

Why do we even bother obsessing about these early regular season games? The Cats lost in the November Champions Classic. Who cares? At least based on the logic I see displayed here.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Cal 4 final fours in 13 years when accounting for 2020 when it wasn’t played. That’s 30.7%. Pitino 3 final fours in 6 years when accounting for first two years they were not eligible for post season, that’s 50% which is greater than 30.7%.

Had Pitino stayed, he would have 5/6 titles by now. Should’ve won that title in 1997, even without our best player and best defender. Not to mention, Edwards was coming off an injury and wasn’t the same player. Arizona made twice as many free throws than we even attempted: 34!!!! Hell, Simon attempted the same amount of free throws as our entire team: 17.!!!! What a joke.

I can’t get behind this logic because of the huge difference in sample sizes. My opinion is as valuable as anyone here and I don’t think Pitino would have won anything else at UK. He was coming off that 97 loss and there’s nothing that indicates that Pitino would have won in 98 or anything thereafter.

4 finals fours to 3 final fours, both got a title and virtually the same winning percentage. Took Pitino being here longer to win a title too. Cal won in his 3rd season.

Should the regular season not count? If not, then why does this board get so obsessed over some meaningless December or January game? Tubby Smith went undefeated in SEC play for the 2003 season. A remarkable season. One that stands out in UK basketball history. Cal had an entire undefeated regular season in 2015. One of the greatest seasons in UK and college bball history. Does that not mean anything?

The NCAA tournament is such a shitty method for determining a champion. I personally put less relevance on it. A team like 2011 or 2014 Uconn gets hot at just the right moment with some luck mixed in. Their entire body of work for those teams was subpar.

Why do we even bother obsessing about these early regular season games? The Cats lost in the November Champions Classic. Who cares? At least based on the logic I see displayed here.
Regular season certainly counts in my book which is another reason pitino easily tops cal in the UK coaching ranks. Aside from Pitinos first year when we lost 14 games (understandable at that time). Pitinos worst regular season record was 23-6 and in his 6 seasons here that we were eligible for postseason play we won the SEC championship 5 times. Ironically only time we lost was 96 when we went on to win it all. 6 losses. Cal never had a run that good here, or really even close. Pitino by a mile when looking at the seasons as a whole.

I can’t get behind this logic because of the huge difference in sample sizes. My opinion is as valuable as anyone here and I don’t think Pitino would have won anything else at UK. He was coming off that 97 loss and there’s nothing that indicates that Pitino would have won in 98 or anything thereafter.

4 finals fours to 3 final fours, both got a title and virtually the same winning percentage. Took Pitino being here longer to win a title too. Cal won in his 3rd season.
Interesting since tubby did win in 98 with pitinos roster and was not as good of a coach and obviously pitino did go on to win another title at Louisville (even if vacated) but he couldn’t have done it here? 6 seasons with no more than 6 regular season losses suggest pitino was on a roll here and nothing suggest that was going to stop anytime soon. 99 season (still with a heavy pitino roster) made the elite 8.

Rupp
Cal
Pitino
Joe B

Tubby
Don't care for Pitino the person but he is a better coach than Cal, Cal is a better man.

Ok - so I am too damned lazy to do this calculation myself, but if you look championships/year for UK coaches, I’m kinda sorta thinking Pitino would be the best, then Joe B, then Tubby or Rupp, and Cal would be the absolute worst.

Am I wrong here?.

Tubby and Hall were never winning another title and Tubby was never making a 2nd final four.

The issue is those guys were smart enough to get out before the posse got them. Cals contract and his own arrogance and pride won't allow him to do the same.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT