ADVERTISEMENT

Cats heavily involved with Anthony Davis- highlights and interview vid

Daniel Poneman

Freshman
Nov 12, 2005
Kentucky is right in the mix with the hottest prospect in the nation right now- Anthony Davis from Chicago. Playing for Chicago Meanstreets he has gone from unknown to 5 star in the matter of a few weeks. He had zero offers a week ago, and now he has heard from and/or been offered by Kentucky, Memphis, Syracuse, Illinois, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Harvard, Arizona, Oregon State, Virginia, Xavier, and many more.

Inside info- he told me last weekend that (please don't read too much into this) he is a bit of a Kentucky fan and (this is before they had called him) that it was a long time goal of his to get an offer from Kentucky.

I put out this highlight video, and this interview/highlights video, after last weekend... ill have more to post from this weekend soon....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_ZhjdIvzRw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x6rJ6pWZlQ

Anthony Davis - unknown to 5 star

With all the emphasis these days by recruiting services, how does a kid go from unknown to a 5* 'in a matter of a few weeks'?

Originally posted by OHIO COLONEL:
With all the emphasis these days by recruiting services, how does a kid go from unknown to a 5* 'in a matter of a few weeks'?

And how did he have no offers(I assume they mean from big programs) if he is really this good? It could be true, but this fast and going to a 5* is amazingly fast.

Go check him out Cal!!!!!

No- I didn't mean no offers from big time programs- i mean no offers period. He didn't have a single college come watch him during the school season.

I watched the kid play in 8th grade (the last year he played aau ball until now) and he was a 6'1 G/F coming off the bench- and I could see he had a lot of potential. Since then he has grown 3 inches a year and gotten a lot better. He didn't get noticed because he goes to a tiny charter school in Chicago that plays in the Chicago Public League's lower division- meaning they aren't one of the top 64 public school programs in the city. He did get noticed however, by the Meanstreets coaches, which is how he got to where he is now....

Hes a 2011 prospect. Its good news but not big news since we are in the running with so many 5 stars and only have so many scholarships left. If he could play next year it would be a much bigger story.

dotcomok- oh boy haha thanks for digging that one up (rolls eyes), that was from a couple years back- now I'm out of high school and doing this bball gig full time!

ukbballrules - Dont seem so sure about yourself, this isnt just any old prospect were talking about. You said Coach Cal knows who he wants in this class... well... how do you know he hasnt now chosen Anthony Davis as one of those kids he wants? Kentucky has been on him hard recently, he likes UK, and ... I mean... there must be something special about the kid- Brian Snow tweeted that he is a top 25 prospect after watching him play once, he has offers from a dozen high major schools who have never seen him play, and Clarke Francis (the godfather of the talent evaluators) compared him favorably to a young Marcus Camby... but of course Coach Cal has already picked who he wants in this class, and isnt going to go after a better version of a young marcus camby...

Originally posted by Daniel Poneman:
dotcomok- oh boy haha thanks for digging that one up (rolls eyes), that was from a couple years back- now I'm out of high school and doing this bball gig full time!

ukbballrules - Dont seem so sure about yourself, this isnt just any old prospect were talking about. You said Coach Cal knows who he wants in this class... well... how do you know he hasnt now chosen Anthony Davis as one of those kids he wants? Kentucky has been on him hard recently, he likes UK, and ... I mean... there must be something special about the kid- Brian Snow tweeted that he is a top 25 prospect after watching him play once, he has offers from a dozen high major schools who have never seen him play, and Clarke Francis (the godfather of the talent evaluators) compared him favorably to a young Marcus Camby... but of course Coach Cal has already picked who he wants in this class, and isnt going to go after a better version of a young marcus camby...
Grin... I thought you might like that... If UK doesn't pursue him... I could see Danny Manning going after this kid.

Dan,
Great work. Don't worry about the "he already knows..." people out there. We all know how things can change in the summer prior to their summer year. He looks solid and is pretty well spoken.

Daniel, I can't disagree with anything except for the Clarke In The Dark love. Did that Renko kid ever pan out?
3dgrin.gif
Seriously, thanks for the update though.

Thanks for the info Daniel and keep up the hard work. So are you a Big Blue fan? or just a fan of Basketball in general?

Well, since you are not a UK fan what is your opinion of Coach Cal? I think everyone agrees that he can recruit, and seems very personable, and players enjoy playing for him. Do you think a lot of the prejudice (prejudice is judging before you know all the facts) against him is because of jealousy and because other fans believe what they want to believe, or do you think he has just gotten away with a lot? I didn't know anything about him before he came here but seems like he has done everything right here, from recruiting to representing the University. I also believe he doesn't have to cheat to win here, an ideal match.

And if you don't want to get into that on this prejudiced board I can understand that too.

Thanks for the heads up Daniel, feel free to stop back by and post any Uk/Davis related info you hear. Here is a Jerry Meyer article talking about what an elite prospect Davis has become.

Originally posted byJerry Meyer:
HOUSTON- Play was intense and at a high level on Saturday during the second session of the Nike EYBL. Meanstreets post player Anthony Davis continued his meteoric rise this spring from being off the radar to being an elite national prospect.

Just think of former North Carolina freshman star Brandan Wright with way more offense and a better motor, and you have Davis. At 6-foot-10, 192-pounds, Davis has a scary offensive skill set. It is not a deal where he shows flashes of what he could be like John Henson did on the circuit. Instead, Davis makes play after play within the flow of the game.

On one possession he might post up and score with either hand, on another hit a pull up midrange jumper, on another knock down a three, on another slash in for an offensive rebound and on another deliver an assist pass off the dribble.

Defensively, his intelligence and length make him difficult to deal with as well.

Ohio State and Syracuse are in the best position to land this budding star. He is also considering offers from DePaul, Xavier, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue and Notre Dame.

James McAdoo (2011 Boo Williams)- If there is a better post player in the 2011 class than Davis, it is McAdoo. He logged more minutes on Saturday and led his team in a slaughter of the Jackson Tigers. McAdoo plays with impressive length and is developing an expanded offensive game. A quick one dribble pull up going either direction in the midrange appears to be his pet move at the moment. The advantage he has over Davis is that McAdoo is a stronger and more physical player.

Anthony Davis

Jerry Meyer just wrote a story about this kid today on Rivals, not very good at the whole link thing, but here you go:

"HOUSTON- Play was intense and at a high level on Saturday during the second session of the Nike EYBL. Meanstreets post player Anthony Davis continued his meteoric rise this spring from being off the radar to being an elite national prospect.

Davis is making a run to be the top post player in the country.
Just think of former North Carolina freshman star Brandan Wright with way more offense and a better motor, and you have Davis. At 6-foot-10, 192-pounds, Davis has a scary offensive skill set. It is not a deal where he shows flashes of what he could be like John Henson did on the circuit. Instead, Davis makes play after play within the flow of the game.

On one possession he might post up and score with either hand, on another hit a pull up midrange jumper, on another knock down a three, on another slash in for an offensive rebound and on another deliver an assist pass off the dribble.

Defensively, his intelligence and length make him difficult to deal with as well.

Ohio State and Syracuse are in the best position to land this budding star. He is also considering offers from DePaul, Xavier, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue and Notre Dame."

No mention of Kentucky, but the kid is clearly a star with Top 10 type potential. Thanks for the heads up Daniel.

Scout now has him as the overall # 9 prospect and the number 4 rated power forward in the country.

Looks like the op was on the money with this kid. Amazing what type of talent their is out their that no one knows about. Then all of a sudden boom their is a new kid on the circuit that is kicking ass and taking names.

Scout top 100

That sound you hear is Daniel Poneman's credibility skyrocketing on Catspause.
3dgrin.gif

He is now in the new top ten for 2011 per Rivals.
This post was edited on 5/22 1:55 PM by UKZOCK

Jauk-

I'm not going to get into it too much, but SLEAZEapari is a total ....

joking

One of my favorite hobbies is hating on message board haters who talk trash about everything that isnt wearing their school colors. If Coach Cal didnt use his relentless tactics to build elite recruiting classes, then the fact of the matter is that there would be another coach -at some other school that has fans who currently trash the hell out of cal- who would be doing the same thing and their fans would love it and defend their coach day and night. Yeah, whatever, some people might think it wasnt right to go after T-Jones after he committed to Washington, but 90% of NCAA coaches wouldve done the same thing if they had reason to believe that they still had a chance to get him. I dont know if Cal "cheats" or uses "questionable tactics" or whatver- but what I do know is that almost everyone else is doing the same thing and he is just the one who is the best at it, so he takes all the heat. People might have a problem with the fact that he has a whole lotta one and dones- I dont see the basis of that argument. Either those kids wouldve been one and dones in other places, or they wouldve gone other places and not had the chance to make millions of dollars to support their family with.... those guys also happen to be the best players, and the point of recruiting is to get the best players, so why are people so sour about the whole deal? Would they rather the kids go somewhere else and not thrive as much? would they rather the kids stay in school longer even when it isnt whats best for their future? i dont get it.

I could go on all day but i have better stuff to do, the point is that I hate grumpy hoops fans who like to hate on coaches they wish they had at their school. I also liked watching last year's UK squad and sometimes do the John Wall dance in the mirror when I'm home alone

this kid was a guard and then grew a ton up to 6'10". guard like ball handling and a shooter. but now can dunk over people with his size. real thin so he will need to put on weight and my guess learn out to play in the post a bit. but this is a kid with huge potential and an ideal skill set. could be still growing too.

the staff is hot after this kid.

I don't think Cal wants another Marcus Camby.
smilie2.gif

But seriously, dude looks like a great player. Poses some major matchup problems. You can bet Cal is showing some love, and I'd love to have him in blue.

I understand he rose quickly.
Who was from Chicago that did well? Joe Crawford?

Crawford is from Michigan. Liggins is from Chi-town. I believe Walker (Toine) was as well maybe? Nazr Mohammad?

Daniel, I know you said not to read too much into it (by the way, you must be new here. We dissect tweets that half the fan-base can't even decipher) but what would you think our chances are with Anthony Davis?

If he said he was a bit of a UK fan and his dream was to get an offer, wouldn't you think that suggests that we simply have to make him a priority? And given that he's a top 10 big man with a game suited for Cal's offense, it stands to reason that we will.

However, I've seen reports listing his top schools (like the one posted above in this thread) that don't have us among his favorites. How do these things correlate? Are these reports outdated or is there some factor we don't know about?

By the way, I loved the interview with Patric Young, Stacey Poole and his little brother. Let's hope Solo is as good as they say.

@Gonzocat ... sorry for the super late response !

Thanks for the love on the Poole Poole Young vid - you better believe I had a blast conducting the interview ... I wouldve posted that months earlier, but ... well... no one really looks forward to editing an interview that went for almost an hour haha

As for the Anthony Davis stuff ... think you've got your answer .... final three :) ...

I did a 25 minute interview with Anthony on camera about 5 days before he trimmed his list, so now I need to drive 45 mins to his crib to get an updated recruiting sound byte before I post it .... the kid couldve fricken warned me!

i'd love to get davis, i think he could be a big time star in a few years once he gets more comfortable with his body and his new position. playing out on the wing slashing to playing some inside with the big boys probably takes some getting used too.

but if davis wants to play facing the basket...uk is the place. other schools may claim they will use him that way...but actions speak louder the words. cal's system is evidence of that.

the mid july time frame scares me a bit. i'm not sure uk will know what it wants to do by that time. scholarships are a bit limited and i'd bet they have slots saved for quincy miller and maybe/probably johnny o'bryant. kind of hard to say what knight, jones, and kanter will do. all three are project to be in the top 20 or so in next years (weak) draft. who could blame them....but some might stay.

but if we end up with a 5 man class....my hope is that davis is in it. evualuations are next week. i guess we might know more then.

now tell us jabari parker has uk in his top 3 and you might get some marriage offers (guys included). lol. he and rodney purvis would be a pretty sweet combo!

Daniel:

What's your take on this whole Davis "on the take" nonesense? You have been up close and personal with the kid from the beginning. Just curious to get your take....

I was going to ask the same thing.It seems like that somebody that is around the recruiting scene would know whats going on.

If anyone is curious, a big part of the reason he was unknown then went to a top 10 so quickly is because he grew about 8 inches from 6'2" to 6'10" in about a year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT