ADVERTISEMENT

Cats’Pause (Darrell Bird) UK waits

Livingston returning makes no sense. He doesn't want to play the 4, Bradshaw supposedly won't play the 5 so how does that work?

Reeves and Oscar at least make some logical sense to me position and minutes wise.
What you're saying is logical. But man don't you think Livingston could potentially look pretty good alongside Edwards. Call them both SFs and dare anyone to say otherwise. In all seriousness, I actually think Livingston and Edwards could make each other look better by playing off of each other, and at the same time improve their skills to be a better NBA SF (or maybe even a combo forward like PJ Washington).

Livingston returning makes no sense. He doesn't want to play the 4, Bradshaw supposedly won't play the 5 so how does that work?

Reeves and Oscar at least make some logical sense to me position and minutes wise.
G Wagner
G Edwards
F Livingston
F Bradshaw
F Tshiebwe

That’s how Cal makes it work and keeps Livingston and Bradshaw happy.

Thought he had some interesting things to say about Chris Livingston …in my mind we had no chance with Chris
I respect Darrel and he’s a real nice guy but man this uk media. What do we have? 30 people covering uk sports giving opinions? And they are paid to do this?

As for Livingston no way anyone takes him first round. I mean there hasn’t even been chatter of that. Someone may take a chance in the second round but in the mocks I’ve seen there are some good players going in the second who have raised their stock. I haven’t heard of Livingstons stock going up as a result of his workouts:

All the talk about Livingston being the most important of the 3 guys we’re waiting on(KSR said the same today) has me so confused. I’m fine with him returning but it’s obvious people get too stuck on recruiting rankings. A 6’6 3/4 man that’s a plus but not otherworldly athlete that isn’t a great shooter is not what I’d ideally add to this roster. Proven shooting that teams can’t help off from should be the biggest priority along with rebounding(assuming Oscar leaves) in filling out the roster.

G Wagner
G Edwards
F Livingston
F Bradshaw
F Tshiebwe

That’s s tough team on paper and fits Cals tendencies but really this would be an awful shooting team. If Livingston has to play the 3 then I don’t want him back. That’s doing the square peg round hole thing. He doesn’t fit as a college 3. With Wagner at the point we will need a couple proven shooters with him to open up the floor.

Here’s the caveat. Livingston sleeps in the gym and becomes a 35%+ shooter from three. Then that lineup could be powerful and dominant. I just don’t see it though unless he completely changes him mechanics to get more arc and touch on the ball. BUT in a scenario where Livingston strokes it like a guard man that would be a very difficult lineup to deal with on both ends.

Getting all 3 guys back would put us 2 deep at every spot. Could use another shooter at guard or wing, but we'd be in pretty good shape.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I am telling you guys i think a lot of fans are overlooking Sheppard.

Admittedly I think I am one of them.

Kid could very well come in and have a Tyler Herro/Doron Lamb (Freshman Lamb, not Sophomore) type impact as a freshman.

I think I have been expecting him to be an impact guy as a Sophomore/Junior but really hope I am just overlooking him.

All the talk about Livingston being the most important of the 3 guys we’re waiting on(KSR said the same today) has me so confused. I’m fine with him returning but it’s obvious people get too stuck on recruiting rankings. A 6’6 3/4 man that’s a plus but not otherworldly athlete that isn’t a great shooter is not what I’d ideally add to this roster. Proven shooting that teams can’t help off from should be the biggest priority along with rebounding(assuming Oscar leaves) in filling out the roster.

I'd rather have Thiero play his minutes. Guarantee he will be better than Chris was last year.

Neither player has said anything of the sort. Nor has any coach. Where do you get this info that no one but you and the super minority that believes it a majority have?

Bird;

"Could be zero. Could be a trifecta. Could be somewhere in between."

What insight!!

Gotta give them insiders credit, they can milk.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Thiero is another player that we may be overlooking. i was impressed with his play last season the little he did play.

Yep, honestly not trying to bash Livingston but if he refuses to play the 4 give me Thiero all day. He has far better handles, will project similar to Livingston from 3 and is a much better defender.

I'd take Reeves and Oscar back, them add another shooter if possible.

Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
if they all 3 come back we will be the new fav to win it all, preseason AP #1 and 10 deep!

Last edited:
I just don’t see how his source knows without a doubt what all 3 players are gonna do. And I also don’t see how his source just decided to tell him and nobody else.

Reactions: westerncat
I just don’t see how his source knows without a doubt what all 3 players are gonna do. And I also don’t see how his source just decided to tell him and nobody else.
Well their source is "trust me bro". They don't have a real source. Probably some regular person acting like a Insider.

I'm overlooking him because I know he's not going to play. He’s going to get the Ado treatment this year, Cal is still Cal.

We aren't gonna have enough bodies for anyone to get that treatment. Shep is the 6th or 7th man at this point with his only competition being thiero.

G Wagner
G Edwards
F Livingston
F Bradshaw
F Tshiebwe

That's how Coach K sold it to Reddish, Barrett, and Zion in 2018. He told them they were all wing players and it almost worked for them. They were a possession away from the Final Four and were easily the most feared team that season. They certainly didn't have a guy like Reeves shooting threes for that team or a guy like Oscar cleaning up the glass off their bricks. Also, Wagner/Dillingham/Sheppard = infinitely > than Tre Jones.

It could work, particularly if Reeves is still getting 23 to 26 minutes/game.

Cal does keep things close to his chest. And it would explain why we have gotten no attention in the transfer portal.

Maybe that was the staffs plan from the start: We just need to get these 3 back. Focus on the back end to make this happen (NIL, etc), and we feel fairly confident we can make it happen.

I'm certainly not getting my hopes up.

We aren't gonna have enough bodies for anyone to get that treatment. Shep is the 6th or 7th man at this point with his only competition being thiero.
I didn’t think we had enough guys last year either, but Ado still barely played.

Cal is going to get players and I wouldn't be surprised if he makes some promises to get whoever he gets, because he refuses to talk NIL with non draft pick talents.

I didn’t think we had enough guys last year either, but Ado still barely played.

Cal is going to get players and I wouldn't be surprised if he makes some promises to get whoever he gets, because he refuses to talk NIL with non draft pick talents.

He was like 9th or 10th in the rotation. I'd look at 6 and 7 in rotation in minutes played to compare what's out there.

In, before reality strikes and I realize I have another 22 win team to cheer for this upcoming year. If the big three return, what would be the deficiencies of this upcoming team? You'd have adequate shooting with Reeves and Sheppard. Livingston's percentage in high school makes me think he could eventually get up north of 36% from three as well. Edwards has potential to be a solid shooter.

We'd have two potentially elite forwards in Livingston and Edwards. We haven't had anything close to that since the Miller/MKG combo in 2012 (and arguably the Knox/Vanderbilt combo before JV went down with that second injury).

We'd have guard depth and interior depth (Oscar, Bradshaw, Onyenso, Livingston).

The only remaining weakness would be a lack of multiple legitimate three-point threats. Reeves becomes your designated shot-maker when needed, with Sheppard and maybe Livingston acting as understudies for that role.

The ingredient would obviously be there for a legitimate run at a national title.

Reactions: JST390-2
It seems that if the program has any importance at all that the coach tells his players that they can tell the NBA their fial decision on May 31 but they must tell UK something by May 1 . In todays world they can always pull out of the draft and enter the portal but it seems as if the May 31 date just forces UK to settle for whatever they can get. Waiting for Oscar has cost them some good players and the same for Reaves .

Reactions: westerncat
I don’t think Sheppard will play much. This will drive the fanbase absolutely crazy

Cal does keep things close to his chest. And it would explain why we have gotten no attention in the transfer portal.

Maybe that was the staffs plan from the start: We just need to get these 3 back. Focus on the back end to make this happen (NIL, etc), and we feel fairly confident we can make it happen.

I'm certainly not getting my hopes up.
this does make the most sense. Maybe he strongly felt all 3 returns.Its hard to believe we can't land any portal guys.

It seems that if the program has any importance at all that the coach tells his players that they can tell the NBA their fial decision on May 31 but they must tell UK something by May 1 . In todays world they can always pull out of the draft and enter the portal but it seems as if the May 31 date just forces UK to settle for whatever they can get. Waiting for Oscar has cost them some good players and the same for Reaves .

Who has it cost us that actually had legit interest in UK?

Other than the Johnson kid, which was a bizarre one, and maybe Dickinson but Oscar gave his blessing then and apparently KU just offered more money than UK.

And if they tell UK a silent verbal on May 1st they are coming back they can still change their mind by today before the official deadline.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT