ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari getting it from local columnist too

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
As the old saying goes, to whom much is given, much is expected. And John Calipari is not meeting those expectations. This isn’t a “Fire John Calipari” column. Far from it. The man is a Hall of Fame coach. He has over 700 victories, six Final Fours and a national championship on his resume. He has been an excellent steward of the program, using it for good beyond just basketball. I’m never going to count John Calipari out.

Ah, but he’s also lost three of his last four NCAA Tournament games. Kentucky hasn’t been to the Sweet 16 round since 2019, to the Final Four since 2015, to the ladder to cut down the nets on championship Monday since 2012. I felt for Calipari’s team Sunday. From everything we could gather this season, this is a good group of kids. They went through a lot. Daimion Collins lost his father right before the start of the season. Injuries took their toll. Consistency was always just outside their reach. Still, this was just another good-not-great team in a year with plenty of good-not-great teams. It was prone to bad shooting nights on offense and breakdowns on defense. It outrebounded Kansas State by 19 on Sunday and lost. As K-State Coach Jerome Tang said afterward, “We had more dudes than they did today.” History says Kentucky is the team that has those dudes.

The five-star dudes. NBA-ready dudes. Lottery pick dudes. The dudes that make the winning plays at the end of games. That’s what Kentucky fans expect. “That’s why I tell the players, this isn’t for everybody because the expectations are so high,” Calipari said Sunday. “The same with coaching. It’s not for everybody.” John Calipari has not led Kentucky to an NCAA Sweet 16 since 2019 and his Wildcats have not reached the Final Four since 2015.

His first task for 2023-24 should be to get himself healthy. He walks with a limp suggesting another hip replacement is in his future. He had all but lost his voice this weekend. He appeared to be showing the effects of a long, frustrating season. He has the nation’s No. 1 recruiting class arriving for next season, one most experts believe is closer to the elite classes he recruited early in his UK tenure. College basketball is in a different place now than it was back then, however. The transfer portal. NIL deals. Game-changers both. We will see if a stellar group of freshmen means as much now as it meant back then. In the end, what worries me about the current state of Kentucky basketball isn’t so much what’s happening on the court as what is happening in the stands. Or what is not happening.

The number of empty seats at Rupp Arena this season was jarring, to say the least. Television, an uninspiring home schedule and ticket prices all surely had something to do with that. But the numbers also suggest a growing apathy about a program that is not meeting the expectations of its fan base. Despite what you might have heard or read, Kentucky fans are right to have those expectations. For better or worse, it’s part of what makes Kentucky basketball, well, Kentucky basketball. And that’s not going to change. Nor should it.

Read more at: https://www.kentucky.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/john-clay/article273349895.html#storylink=cpy

As the old saying goes, to whom much is given, much is expected. And John Calipari is not meeting those expectations. This isn’t a “Fire John Calipari” column. Far from it. The man is a Hall of Fame coach. He has over 700 victories, six Final Fours and a national championship on his resume. He has been an excellent steward of the program, using it for good beyond just basketball. I’m never going to count John Calipari out.

Ah, but he’s also lost three of his last four NCAA Tournament games. Kentucky hasn’t been to the Sweet 16 round since 2019, to the Final Four since 2015, to the ladder to cut down the nets on championship Monday since 2012. I felt for Calipari’s team Sunday. From everything we could gather this season, this is a good group of kids. They went through a lot. Daimion Collins lost his father right before the start of the season. Injuries took their toll. Consistency was always just outside their reach. Still, this was just another good-not-great team in a year with plenty of good-not-great teams. It was prone to bad shooting nights on offense and breakdowns on defense. It outrebounded Kansas State by 19 on Sunday and lost. As K-State Coach Jerome Tang said afterward, “We had more dudes than they did today.” History says Kentucky is the team that has those dudes.

The five-star dudes. NBA-ready dudes. Lottery pick dudes. The dudes that make the winning plays at the end of games. That’s what Kentucky fans expect. “That’s why I tell the players, this isn’t for everybody because the expectations are so high,” Calipari said Sunday. “The same with coaching. It’s not for everybody.” John Calipari has not led Kentucky to an NCAA Sweet 16 since 2019 and his Wildcats have not reached the Final Four since 2015.

His first task for 2023-24 should be to get himself healthy. He walks with a limp suggesting another hip replacement is in his future. He had all but lost his voice this weekend. He appeared to be showing the effects of a long, frustrating season. He has the nation’s No. 1 recruiting class arriving for next season, one most experts believe is closer to the elite classes he recruited early in his UK tenure. College basketball is in a different place now than it was back then, however. The transfer portal. NIL deals. Game-changers both. We will see if a stellar group of freshmen means as much now as it meant back then. In the end, what worries me about the current state of Kentucky basketball isn’t so much what’s happening on the court as what is happening in the stands. Or what is not happening.

The number of empty seats at Rupp Arena this season was jarring, to say the least. Television, an uninspiring home schedule and ticket prices all surely had something to do with that. But the numbers also suggest a growing apathy about a program that is not meeting the expectations of its fan base. Despite what you might have heard or read, Kentucky fans are right to have those expectations. For better or worse, it’s part of what makes Kentucky basketball, well, Kentucky basketball. And that’s not going to change. Nor should it.

Read more at: https://www.kentucky.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/john-clay/article273349895.html#storylink=cpy
Hope the heat is unbearable..

It's easy to say "Fire" him by us fans. But, then that leaves who replaces him and what impact the "firing" has on our reputation, recruits, as well as luring the next guy.

There is a lot of opportunity to plan this out. First, Cal needs to hire one and possibly two assistants. Unless it is written in his contract, don't make the hiring his decision. Get D.A. and a top recruiting coach on board. Start planning for the replacement in quiet exploration. Keep the recruits and get some top portal transfers (and maybe some existing players stay). There is no need to make this a short-term immediate situation which could lead to disaster. Plus, I believe Cal may leave at the end of next season and we need a recruiter who can get recruits through his relationships.

It's easy to say "Fire" him by us fans. But, then that leaves who replaces him and what impact the "firing" has on our reputation, recruits, as well as luring the next guy.

There is a lot of opportunity to plan this out. First, Cal needs to hire one and possibly two assistants. Unless it is written in his contract, don't make the hiring his decision. Get D.A. and a top recruiting coach on board. Start planning for the replacement in quiet exploration. Keep the recruits and get some top portal transfers (and maybe some existing players stay). There is no need to make this a short-term immediate situation which could lead to disaster. Plus, I believe Cal may leave at the end of next season and we need a recruiter who can get recruits through his relationships.
Dude makes $10m a year and can’t figure out basic lineups. You really think he is interested in change or feedback from someone he deems inferior to him?

He has been an excellent steward of the program, using it for good beyond just basketball. I’m never going to count John Calipari out.

An "excellent steward" of the program doesn't produce the worst season in 80 years. I'll give Cal credit for the numerous telethons and fundraising events, but those gestures cannot offset what happens on the court for a job-performance assessment. He has been a terrible steward since 2017 and an underachieving steward for the whole of his tenure. I will continue to count John Calipari out because he seems to count himself out.

Look at this way...Coach Cal!...You know that you are a very popular man...be proud when everyone that talks about you...good or bad...( Especially the bad)only strengthens their tickets to hell! Check out what it(Bible)says about hate! I promise it's the truth!

• Angry
Reactions: bigbuf
Because thanks to Mitch B, we can never fire Cal or Stoops. Together their buyout is about $100 million.
The buyout has nothing to do with firing Cal. The university has not even considered firing Cal. But if they wanted to fire him the buyout would never factor into the discussion.

It's only an internet talking point to back up a position that only exists in some poster's minds.

• Haha
Reactions: Wally2000
the way to get at Calipari is mentioned in the article

empty seats and fan apathy.

for those not willing to die on the hill that a host of reasons other than UK sucks is keeping fan away, that is getting the administrations attention more than anything.

You can lose as long as you are bringing in the revenue.

You start costing the school money and that gets attention.

I read another article written a few weeks ago about how donations/revenue took a serious hit after the St. Peters game and it was months before it picked up.

Just keep pumping the sunshine and living in the past...with is currently fantasy land.

That's not "getting it" from the local columnist. That's a softball. It's long past time for them to be calling for him to be fired or step down for the good of the program.

That's not "getting it" from the local columnist. That's a softball. It's long past time for them to be calling for him to be fired or step down for the good of the program.

Who could have ever imagined we’d actually miss Jerry Tipton?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT