ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari’s NIL Stance

According to Matt Jones Calipari has modified his NIL stance. He says some money has been raised from outside sources and will be used for collective like entity. Seems like Cal is finally waking up.
ALRIGHT NOW!!!! Cal finally gets money for shopping when the shelves are empty. YOU HAVE TO LOVE OUR COACH. He's got his mind on his money and his money on his mind. Lol

I'd imagine this isn't something Cal necessarily wanted to change.. but had his hand forced because of how other programs are operating with NIL.

I really liked his stance at the beginning of this, saying we won't be held hostage, that UK is UK and we aren't going to get into bidding wars. Trying to get the players who want to come here. Etc.

It was a great thought process to have, but the problem is the players called bluff and followed the money. It's a player driven league now. I don't like it, but I guess I'm glad Cal is waking up to where the league is going.

I hear Cal asked for NIL money and when the boosters said "how much?", Cal said "Oh, about tree fitty"!

• Haha
Reactions: ukfan041
I'd imagine this isn't something Cal necessarily wanted to change.. but had his hand forced because of how other programs are operating with NIL.

I really liked his stance at the beginning of this, saying we won't be held hostage, that UK is UK and we aren't going to get into bidding wars. Trying to get the players who want to come here. Etc.

It was a great thought process to have, but the problem is the players called bluff and followed the money. It's a player driven league now. I don't like it, but I guess I'm glad Cal is waking up to where the league is going.
I'm not at all okay with NIL, because that's not how college athletics was designed to be operated. You go to a school to get educated, you get a scholarship if you're good enough. If you're not good enough for a scholarship you might still be able to play. But none of you will be paid for playing, other than with a scholarship.

Having said that, if the focus is TRULY on getting guys here who want to play and THEN offering some NIL to the best of the best, I'm okay with that. But if these bidding wars for NIL continue, or they start with UK, then I'm out. I'm sure I'll be trashed for this opinion, but we all have things we ought to stand up for.

I still don't think NIL is why Cal didn't get any of those portal guys, but I do (as much as I can't stand him as a coach) appreciate him trying to hold onto the game the used to be played in some aspects (ie, recruiting).

Excited Wake Up GIF by Originals

I hope Torres isn't right. That Cow is pitching to Cam and Kaluna or whatever come join this thing you might play we will see. About 19 min mark like Cow is recruiting 24 year olds like 18 year olds. Please God tell me this isn't true.

Said the same thing with Johnson SDST now ARZ. Sure you just played in the FF but come here and come off the bench behind all Freshman.🤡

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT