ADVERTISEMENT

Cal will have such a complicated legacy when he leaves

kydmb99

Senior
Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
On one hand the man brought UK from the edge of the abyss to the top of the college basketball world. Some of the greatest times ever as a UK fan.

On the other hand his arrogance, pride and inability to evolve pushed the program into a period of stagnation. He also played the university to get a fat contract that became an albatross around the program (he’s not the only one to blame).

Just sad to see it come to this. Never thought the Cal era would end so badly.

His legacy is just like his in-game management. Things start off great bc he had superior talent. But when the opponents change, he fails to adjust. He'll have 2 legacies: 2010-2015 and 2016 to now hopefully

Reactions: jrpross
His legacy is just like his in-game management. Things start off great bc he had superior talent. But when the opponents change, he fails to adjust. He'll have 2 legacies: 2010-2015 and 2016 to now hopefully
I use to think that, too, but I think he has three separate eras now. 2010-2015, 2016-2020, Covid to present. 16-20 wasn’t lighting the world on fire, but Uk was still competing in most areas. Since Covid, it’s been bad all around. It’s been a steady decline from FFs to E8s to first week exits.

I think it was always destined to end like this. Whether or not anyone understood that is the question. Cal's success was a product of the same pride and arrogance that now makes it impossible for him to change and adapt. He's fighting the stars in their courses.

Well at one point he seemed like a virtual lock to be the 2nd most successful coach after Rupp. Now, he's firmly below Pitino for me with little hope of ever passing him barring some sort of miraculous 3-4 year stretch to finish up here (not happening).

On one hand the man brought UK from the edge of the abyss to the top of the college basketball world. Some of the greatest times ever as a UK fan.

On the other hand his arrogance, pride and inability to evolve pushed the program into a period of stagnation. He also played the university to get a fat contract that became an albatross around the program (he’s not the only one to blame).

Just sad to see it come to this. Never thought the Cal era would end so badly.
Hang him a banner half the size of the other banners and if we get lucky he will spend his retirement up North making appearances on NBA draft day.

Whats www, or who is it rather?
World Wide Wes aka William Wesley. He was a big time influencer in high school/AAU basketball who funnelled many great recruits to UK in Calipari's first seven years. They had a decoupling for some reason and that's when the talent level dropped significantly.
He is now VP of the New York Knicks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT