ADVERTISEMENT

The magic was lost, but now it’s back

drcats2013

All-SEC
Nov 13, 2012
The deep dark hills of eastern Kentucky
I’ve been pretty upset over the Pope hiring; until now. It’s finally starting to make sense to me. Hear me out:

The magic was lost folks. Cal took that from us. We became a “players first” program. Not Kentucky. God bless all these one and dones that came here and did well for theirselves and their family, but it wasn’t with pride for Kentucky basketball. That changes today.

Pope has the passion and understanding of this great program. It isn’t a gimmick. This is real. He will make sure we have the RIGHT kind of players here.

If we are STILL Kentucky, this works. And deep down I think that’s been my biggest fear. That we are NOT. And that’s because of Cal and his culture, to a degree. The fear ends today. Let’s see if we still have a little magic in this great, storied program.

I’m in.

Players first was plenty 'magical' when we were winning titles and making Final Fours.

It's about winning. Nothing else. Everything else is just window dressing. And Mark Pope is far down the list of people who have proven they can win at a high enough level to coach here. Really is that simple when you look at it with any measure of objectivity/rationality.

I’ve been pretty upset over the Pope hiring; until now. It’s finally starting to make sense to me. Hear me out:

The magic was lost folks. Cal took that from us. We became a “players first” program. Not Kentucky. God bless all these one and dones that came here and did well for theirselves and their family, but it wasn’t with pride for Kentucky basketball. That changes today.

Pope has the passion and understanding of this great program. It isn’t a gimmick. This is real. He will make sure we have the RIGHT kind of players here.

If we are STILL Kentucky, this works. And deep down I think that’s been my biggest fear. That we are NOT. And that’s because of Cal and his “brainwashing” to a degree. The fear ends today. Let’s see if we still have a little magic in this great, storied program.

I’m in.
Cal did not end Kentucky basketball. The last five years of failure probably damaged us less on the national stage than the 10+ years of Tubby disappointments/BCG embarrassment and we still got Cal when he was the home run hire.

It's gonna take a lot more work to destroy 80 years of unparalleled tradition and support.

Players first was plenty 'magical' when we were winning titles and making Final Fours.

It's about winning. Nothing else. Everything else is just window dressing. And Mark Pope is far down the list of people who have proven they can win at a high enough level to coach here. Really is that simple when you look at it with any measure of objectivity/rationality.
It was, but it wasn’t the same. We were a stepping stone. We won one title with a generational player because the teams were not cohesive enough overall under cal.

Reactions: KFuqua

I understand the sentiment, but it may take a bit longer for some fans than others and that's OK. Most younger fans have never seen what good coaching even looks like. This isn't about weaving the best BS story ... it's about coaching the game. Cal couldn't/wouldn't do that. I think when we look back, we will all be very happy with what's about to happen. Pope played under Pitino, learned under Pitino ... the best years I've ever seen at UK were the Pitino teams. We're gonna be fine and will be able to enjoy UK basketball again.

I will be looking forward to this upcoming season now. I was not looking forward to it if Cal was still gonna be here. Renewed hope for the future, exciting style of play, Pope is a smart guy no matter what else you think about him. I'm on board for this. He certainly wasn't my first choice. But, I'm open to the idea that he could be exactly what we needed when it's all said and done. He knows what this job is about far more than Cal ever did.

Then don’t let the door hit you on the ass on the way out. 😃

Anybody not around or too young when Pitino was around will see a big difference in Kentucky basketball. Players will play their guts out on both ends of the floor. Probably some blow outs, upsets and an energy level that will be there all the time.
I can't help but be excited that our new coach has the DNA of the 96 championship team in him. My first year of college there. Let me tell you the body language was quite a bit different and will be.
The worst part was watching CCC and the players walk away looking unbothered and unsurprised with the loss. To those of us that watch the 96 team play the last several years have been unbearable with the lazy apathetic attitudes coming from the top. No more

Anybody not around or too young when Pitino was around will see a big difference in Kentucky basketball. Players will play their guts out on both ends of the floor. Probably some blow outs, upsets and an energy level that will be there all the time.
That 96 team would rip the soul out of any team in the last 15 years, and do it fast, without mercy and laugh about it.

To reference an old SNL skit featuring Justin Timberlake...

"I dream of a day when the great, great Mark Pope will... Bring Kentucky back."

"... Where did it go?"

"It does not matter! It will be gone and he will bring it back!"

You are so wrong here. The Kentucky program and tradition are more than just winning. You must be very young to think what you typed is correct. Do better.

The magic was never lost to real fans, only fans with an agenda. The magic was here before Cal, during Cal, and now during Pope despite the same losers now trying to trash the Pope hire.

Its like when you date someone that no one likes and runs all your friends off. Then when they are gone they start coming back. It will be nice to see all our old friends again hopefully that includes some REFS.
I was thinking that too. Maybe the refs won't hate us now. They despised Cal.

Reactions: BlazerHallsBallsN96

Pride in our Commonwealth. Family. That's what it is. Winning just happens when those things come together with good coaching. It's a mix of passion and excellence that drives the continued success of the University of Kentucky.

Kentucky basketball is about the kid in Hopkinsville who plays cul-de-sac ball with a couple friends or the lil man who has a goal on the side of the barn near Hazard. This stuff runs deep for us. Yes, winning is a huge part of the tradition, but reverence for the other aspects of our tradition matter as well. It's not just about getting kids to the NBA or winning every game. Kentucky basketball is a point of pride and love from the Kentuckians who rally around their university and the kids who represent it.

It's part of what makes the SEC, as a whole, a different beast than the B 12 or PAC 5 or ACC. But dammit, it's Kentucky.

The only reason one and done worked at first is because we were the only ones all in with it. It still took a generational talent and an NBA lockout to get a title from it with Cal. Once others embraced it, the system died. That plus Cal getting the fat contract took his incentive to win away. We got players from the next group that weren't ready but still left early.

Hopefully we will be able to have a program now that won't be run by a bunch of mercenaries every year. Get some good NIL deals to keep the players around and when we do need some help, then bring in a few mercenary types to plug the holes. Just no more of the everyone expects to leave early nonsense.

This first year we will have to take what we can get with a late start to the hiring. We might be alright if we can hold on to a decent core group of 3 or 4 players, maybe talk a player or 2 back into committing, and bring in a handful of transfers. Might be able to look at a few Euro players and hope we don't have to go through the nonsense with the NCAA this time.

Last edited:
Think you’re missing the point. The “magic” that was lost was a culture thing.
Right, that’s why people are on here trying to start a revolt and posting the athletics departments number to try to force Pope out before he even gets started. LOL at the culture, the culture is toxic fans destroying everything in sight, trashing our program, all while playing the victim. We’re a national joke because of the fans.

I'm going to love if Mark Pope kills it at Kentucky and sticks it to all the doomsday naysayers and cry baby so called fans.
Of course if he does. They will just say. I was on board from the start.

• Love
Reactions: chroix and KFuqua
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT